The Student Room Group

AS English Language AQA B Re-Sit May 23rd 2016 - Categorising texts

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Hannah3105
I'm sure you did really well:smile:
What were your groupings?

What groupings did you do?

I ended up opting for Synthetic Personalisation for my first group with Convergence as a sub-grouping for my first grouping.

My second grouping was based of the purpose of entertainment, and I included all 3 texts that were aimed at children (the game thing, the poem and the leaflet thing from the restaurant) and I also included the card in that group, but kinda sub-grouped on the fact that them three texts had a child audience and talked about the differences in the way the text-producer intended to entertain the kids.

My third grouping was to do with spoken language features (I know, original, right?) and I obviously included the transcript and the card and focused on voiced/unvoiced pauses. Like, in the card, it had the gap splitting the "TRUE' she said 'I'll buy...', for the humourous effect etc, and included other features of spoken language for both but said how obviously the spoken transcript may be considered more fitting for certain reasons including the fact it was in the spoken mode.

My last grouping I based on epistemic modality in two of the texts and that was basically it. I went to see my teacher afterwards and he said my grouping choices sounded varied and good so hopefully hes right!!!
That sounds really good and varied!
I did one grouping on audience (children) and I used the three obvious ones and subgrouped the yoghurt one saying it's aimed at families which includes children (I said it in a more linguistic way ofc) and in that one I spoke about the multi modality using images and colours and stuff and text A didn't have things like the other texts aimed at children

Another one was on the use of imperatives and I used the text about the thief and the card and the other ones that had imperatives and stuff

I did a grouping on speaking also😂 and said how B differs because it's a transcript and spontaneous and has fillers and stuff and some of these things may be due to the conversation being awkward as the participants were told to introduce themselves and the others I said was spoken and planned and stuff relating to that

And I did do a shorter one on the use of interrogatives (used in the yoghurt one and in the thief one)

Posted from TSR Mobile
My groupings were:
- 3 childrens texts to entertain however written by adult text producer. Compared discourse structures.
- sub grouping of declarative sentences, compared why they were used and difference in sentence types between text.
- grouping on politeness between the a level spoken text and note to thief.
- yeo valley advert and another one but can't write remember haha.

Can't remember the rest but know I discussed 5/6 texts although i cant remember all of them.

I didn't have time to do the greeting card which was annoying cause i had points on humour and stereotypes that i could have made.

@Hannah3105 @hlaff What points did you make for power?

I think the power text this year was harder because the text didn't seem to allow you to use as many theorys
Original post by Excuse Me!
My groupings were:
- 3 childrens texts to entertain however written by adult text producer. Compared discourse structures.
- sub grouping of declarative sentences, compared why they were used and difference in sentence types between text.

Can't remember the rest but know I discussed 5/6 texts although i cant remember all of them.

I didn't have time to do the greeting card which was annoying cause i had points on humour and stereotypes that i could have made.

I think the power text this year was harder because the text didn't seem to allow you to use as many theorys

Your groupings seem varied which is good and fairly uncommon which is good!:smile:
I basically said the teacher holds power in three ways - age, occupation and knowledge
I did use synthetic personalisation as I said she uses direct address to the whole class and she may not have a relationship with some of them (it's a bit far-fetched but this was near enough my last paragraph cos I panicked lol)
I said she had the longest mean length utterance
She used lots of imperatives and deiontic modal auxiliary verbs
I said some stuff about face
I tried to be a bit controversial as one participant I think her name was Aisha said something like "If I knew where it was I wouldn't be asking" (that's not the real quote but it was something on the lines of that)
I also pointed out that the pupils use honorifics when speaking to her whereas she uses their names and that shows asymmetry
Reply 24
My groupings were:

-I basically just began stating the obvious GAP, register, etc.
-I began by talking about power behind discourse which is represented through the authority that the teacher holes due to her role and also mentioned hierarchy, as the teacher is placed under constraints by people above her to teach a certain syllabus which is not within her control.
-I then done a paragraph about instrumental power which I kinda linked with power in discourse and began talking about the subtleties of her discourse which allows instrumental power to be excercised e.g. IRF modal, imperatives and repressive discourse strategies.
-Then I started talking about power in discourse which was highlighted by the use of modal auxiliary verbs and a the use of 'objective', shows clear goals for the lessons and rambled about that for a bit.
-I then compared the personal power of the teacher with the personal power of the students such as Aisha, and then went on about htat for a bit.
-The next paragraph I done focused on infliencial power, which I linked to knowledge power and field-specific lexis and also synthetic personalisation as she is addressing a whole class, not just one individual and then said about how this is linked to the instructional purpose of the text.
-Somewhere within the essay I also mentioned about Face but cant remember where lol.
-I then spoke a small bit about politeness and finished with a bit on Grice's Maxims and was done. Phew.

Oh yeah and I also mentioned Accommodation Theory within it but it was kinda a flimsy point to do with the use of contractions e.g. 'that's', 'it's', 'where's' etc with decreased the formality which could be argued that it kinda matched the young adults sociolect and informality within the text and then showed how the pupils used informal lexis in examples such as fillers 'erm', 'um' and so on.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by hlaff
-I basically just began stating the obvious GAP, register, etc.
-I began by talking about power behind discourse which is represented through the authority that the teacher holes due to her role and also mentioned hierarchy, as the teacher is placed under constraints by people above her to teach a certain syllabus which is not within her control.
-I then done a paragraph about instrumental power which I kinda linked with power in discourse and began talking about the subtleties of her discourse which allows instrumental power to be excercised e.g. IRF modal, imperatives and repressive discourse strategies.
-Then I started talking about power in discourse which was highlighted by the use of modal auxiliary verbs and a the use of 'objective', shows clear goals for the lessons and rambled about that for a bit.
-I then compared the personal power of the teacher with the personal power of the students such as Aisha, and then went on about htat for a bit.
-The next paragraph I done focused on infliencial power, which I linked to knowledge power and field-specific lexis and also synthetic personalisation as she is addressing a whole class, not just one individual and then said about how this is linked to the instructional purpose of the text.
-Somewhere within the essay I also mentioned about Face but cant remember where lol.
-I then spoke a small bit about politeness and finished with a bit on Grice's Maxims and was done. Phew.

Your groupings seem varied which is good and fairly uncommon which is good!:smile:
I basically said the teacher holds power in three ways - age, occupation and knowledge
I did use synthetic personalisation as I said she uses direct address to the whole class and she may not have a relationship with some of them (it's a bit far-fetched but this was near enough my last paragraph cos I panicked lol)
I said she had the longest mean length utterance
She used lots of imperatives and deiontic modal auxiliary verbs
I said some stuff about face
I tried to be a bit controversial as one participant I think her name was Aisha said something like "If I knew where it was I wouldn't be asking" (that's not the real quote but it was something on the lines of that)
I also pointed out that the pupils use honorifics when speaking to her whereas she uses their names and that shows asymmetry

Ah, should have done synthetic personalisation! Somehow got it into my head that it was only written text.

I like the power behind discourse idea and am annoyed cause i was reading about repressive discourse strategies last night but forgot in the thing.

You guys will have done well :smile:

And yeah, Hannah I went for varied groupings cause of A02! I decided that in my head I would come up with general groupings (ie inform, persuade) and then I'd look for language features shared between all and make that the initial grouping instead!

I wrote about:
- Face theory with the constraint 'QUIET PLEASE' being used to block their negative face.
- Politeness of 'please'
- Imperatives
- Deontic/Epistemic modality
- Context behind the encounter
- Students use of 'miss' shows her authority
- IRF
- Grice's Maxims
- Non fluency features: hedging/hesitation from student show teachers power as shes nervous and teacher using pauses to get attention and back-channelling as a discourse marker
- Unequal encounter
- Personal power from being a teacher
- Rhetoric/direct address with pronouns

Does that sound like it would get me a decent mark?
Ah, should have done synthetic personalisation! Somehow got it into my head that it was only written text.

I like the power behind discourse idea and am annoyed cause i was reading about repressive discourse strategies last night but forgot in the thing.

You guys will have done well :smile:

And yeah, Hannah I went for varied groupings cause of A02! I decided that in my head I would come up with general groupings (ie inform, persuade) and then I'd look for language features shared between all and make that the initial grouping instead!

I wrote about:
- Face theory with the constraint 'QUIET PLEASE' being used to block their negative face.
- Politeness of 'please'
- Imperatives
- Deontic/Epistemic modality
- Context behind the encounter
- Students use of 'miss' shows her authority
- IRF
- Grice's Maxims
- Non fluency features: hedging/hesitation from student show teachers power as shes nervous and teacher using pauses to get attention and back-channelling as a discourse marker
- Unequal encounter
- Personal power from being a teacher
- Rhetoric/direct address with pronouns

Does that sound like it would get me a decent mark?

IRF omg I'm so annoyed with myself! I wrote it on the booklet to remind myself to write a paragraph on it and I FORGOT erghhh
But yeah you have a wide variety of AO2 I think you've done well!
Reply 27
I'm sure you did really well:smile:
What were your groupings?

Think this was mine:

1: Audience of Children, sub group use of pre-modifiers
2: Use of interrogative syntax, with some texts being strong/weak inclusions
3. Modal verbs and a sub group that i can't remember!!

I think power went okay but i definitely didn't mention enough. I said about influential/instrumental, Sinclair and Coulthard's IRF, Brown and Levinson politeness and Face, Giles Accommodation Theory convergence etc...
I also said about the address terms 'miss' and pronouns 'you' and 'we', imperatives, use of discourse markers and so on... just not confident completely about how much i wrote...

At least it's over with!!!! What about you?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JonesyA0
Think this was mine:

1: Audience of Children, sub group use of pre-modifiers
2: Use of interrogative syntax, with some texts being strong/weak inclusions
3. Modal verbs and a sub group that i can't remember!!

I think power went okay but i definitely didn't mention enough. I said about influential/instrumental, Sinclair and Coulthard's IRF, Brown and Levinson politeness and Face, Giles Accommodation Theory convergence etc...
I also said about the address terms 'miss' and pronouns 'you' and 'we', imperatives, use of discourse markers and so on... just not confident completely about how much i wrote...

At least it's over with!!!! What about you?

Did anyone do the section on gender for the exam?
I spent an hour and 20min on section A which meant that I had less time for the second section :frown:
Btw can u retake this paper again?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gal cool
I spent an hour and 20min on section A which meant that I had less time for the second time. :frown:

I'm pretty sure that this is the last year we can retake ENGB1 unfortunately due to the changing spec
Reply 30
I spent an hour and 20min on section A which meant that I had less time for the second section :frown:

Hey, you can't retake again as it was the last paper for this spec. Don't worry I spent 1hr 30 mins on section A :s-smilie: I did a mock on it last year and only wrote 6 pages in the whole exam and managed to get an A, in the exam this year i wrote about 7-8 pages for section A and 3 and a half for power. Honestly don't worry about it, the grade boundaries last year for a B was 63/96 and for an A 72/96 so you will be fine :smile:
Original post by JonesyA0
Hey, you can't retake again as it was the last paper for this spec. Don't worry I spent 1hr 30 mins on section A :s-smilie: I did a mock on it last year and only wrote 6 pages in the whole exam and managed to get an A, in the exam this year i wrote about 7-8 pages for section A and 3 and a half for power. Honestly don't worry about it, the grade boundaries last year for a B was 63/96 and for an A 72/96 so you will be fine :smile:

Thank you for the encouragement. What section did u choose to do: gender, power or technology? I am really scared about the exam results because I feel as though I could have done so much more better.
Reply 32
Thank you for the encouragement. What section did u choose to do: gender, power or technology? I am really scared about the exam results because I feel as though I could have done so much more better.

I did power and didn't manage to write that much (around 3 pages) as i ran out of time! What about you??
I did gender and wrote roughly the same amount as you. The timing is a huge problem for a lot of people including myself. Are you doing language change and acquisition?
Reply 34
I did gender and wrote roughly the same amount as you. The timing is a huge problem for a lot of people including myself. Are you doing language change and acquisition?

Yeah I am! finding CLA okay but struggling with language change tbh... what about you?
I feel the same about it too. Langauge change is harder as the texts are older and hard to understand... btw how are you revising for the exam?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 36
I feel the same about it too. Langauge change is harder as the texts are older and hard to understand... btw how are you revising for the exam?

feeling good for the a2 exam.

Just wondering what you guys think of my AS resit .

I done 3 groupings of 3 , 2 and 2 .
multimodality,audience and nouns

contextual factors i included things like globalisation/international trade, cultural/social changes, history, education , context of reception ( SETTING ETC ) CONTEXT OF PRODUCTION . I included GAP mode formality .

language and gender :
covered many theories and talked about stereotypes of women . a03 i included the relationship between the interlocutors , context of reception / production . The contextual factors of technology ( beauty industry ) , marriage and holidays etc.
Original post by discuss
feeling good for the a2 exam.

Just wondering what you guys think of my AS resit .

I done 3 groupings of 3 , 2 and 2 .
multimodality,audience and nouns

contextual factors i included things like globalisation/international trade, cultural/social changes, history, education , context of reception ( SETTING ETC ) CONTEXT OF PRODUCTION . I included GAP mode formality .

language and gender :
covered many theories and talked about stereotypes of women . a03 i included the relationship between the interlocutors , context of reception / production . The contextual factors of technology ( beauty industry ) , marriage and holidays etc.

That should be fine, some great points that you have made.
What did u say about the interlocuters relationship in language and gender?
Reply 38
That should be fine, some great points that you have made.
What did u say about the interlocuters relationship in language and gender?

Much appreciated . thanks man .

talked about how it conveyed a co-operate relationship and is between the customer and beautician and then referred this to pilkington's theory and a01 regarding adjacency pairs and turn taking
Original post by discuss
Much appreciated . thanks man .

talked about how it conveyed a co-operate relationship and is between the customer and beautician and then referred this to pilkington's theory and a01 regarding adjacency pairs and turn taking

No problem :smile:
Did u talk about the gender difference? If so what did u write? Did u write about the mention of fiancè in the text?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending