Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

AQA Biology Unit 1 - Unofficial Mark scheme

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

(Original post by lunaticash19995)
    I thought you had to times by 100
    that is multiplying it by 100, to get 66% you would have to have timesed it by 10,000

Anyone that didn't get the percentage that died from malaria. have fun with the GCSE maths exam.

(Original post by Supermanxxxxxx)
    That was easyyyyy

Posted from TSR Mobile
    suck your mum

(Original post by Georgecollison)
    I don't get why everyone's complaining, it wasn't that bad was it?
    Yep no clue why most people are going crazy, there are always questions that are not really biology related like the bird on a while ago or pollution graphs.
    but it was super easy anyway so i see no reason to complain

(Original post by Haashym)
    The indicator species answer was lichens and the environmental factor was air pollution

GM Mosquito - enzymes used to take out gene (first mark) the gene is transferred to the mosquito (second mark) at an early stage of development (third mark)

Scatter graph used to show the negative correlation
    No it asked. For an animal, lichens are plants. The answer was inverter rates in water

HECK TO THE NO, i mispelt lichen T__T

• :unimpressed:
    • :007:
    • :2012:
    • :2euk48l:
    • :2in1:
    • :K:
    • :^_^:
    • :absinth:
    • :acaila:
    • :adore:
    • :aetsch:
    • :afraid:
    • :afro:
    • :ahee:
    • :ahhhhh:
    • :albertein:
    • :angel:
    • :angelblush:
    • :angelwings:
    • :angry:
    • :animal:
    • :argh:
    • :arsenal:
    • :ashamed2:
    • :ashamed:
    • :askamod:
    • :auto:
    • :awesome:
    • :backstab:
    • :badger:
    • :banana2:
    • :banana:
    • :bandit:
    • :banghead:
    • :banned:
    • :bath:
    • :battle:

[QUOTE=bluebookie;64907009]HECK TO THE NO, i mispelt lichen T__T

not sure what happened there

Was I the only one who put Zebra Fish for the indicator species?
    It's from a past paper however, I think it was Genetically Modified... Probably actually a made up fish.
    Please be more of us! I want to start a Zebra Fish colony. Haha

(Original post by Basit2010)
    that was one of the easiest papers i've ever sat. my whole school finished so early. some even left half way through cos they finished early !!
    That isn't allowed

(Original post by hguin)
    Lets create the unofficial mark scheme for today's biology paper, please help by commenting in this format: [Question number - Question - Answer - marks given].

Please continue to submit answers!

Unofficial markscheme

1. Llegal, recreation (1)

2. Changes chemical reactions, causes withdrawal symptoms (1)

3. Independent company - not associated with the drug company (1)

4. Unbiased (1)

5. Effects nicotine, which is the same area as alcohol in the brain. Reduces pleasure, more likely to drink less (2)

6. Boys drink beer, cider but the girls drank more wine, alcopop and spirits. (2)

7. Not all boys drink because...(2)

8. Carbohydrates --> Energy, Protein --> Growth + repair, Fat --> Warmth + energy, Fibre --> helps digestive system, Calcium --> strong bones and teeth, Water --> Hydrated the body (6)

9. Temperature sensor - more accurate/easier to read because digital (1)

10. It increased because micro organisms break down grass, respire and release CO2 This is trapped because of cotton wool so it accumulates and increases (2)

11. It levels off at 20% because either not oxygen left for microorganisms to respire or all of the grass has been decomposed so the microorganisms have nothing left to feed on to respire (not sure) (1)

12. Receptor (e.g eyes/tongue/nose/skin/ears) detect stimuli and pass on an impulse. Effectors (e.g muscles/glands) receive an impulse and respond by contracting/releasing hormones (4)

13. Synapse - junction/small gap between two nerve endings/neurone (2)

14. Neurotransmitters diffuse through the synapse, attach onto nerve ending and continues pulse (2)

15. Sense organ using spinal chord - skin (1)

16. Mean speed = 80/50 = 1.6 (2)

17. Why is brain (without relay neurones) faster than spine? Less time wasted for impulses to be passed through the relay so it travels faster than the spine because of a shorter distance (2)

18. Biomass is lost through waste/energy/heat/respiration/movement (2)

19. There is a large amount of snails (200) as opposed to thrush (2) meaning they have less competition and ate more snails this more biomass (2)

20. It is a scatter graph because it is comparing two sets of data (1)

21. Higher percentage of no striped snails in woodlands but low percentage in grassland. Whereas with the light coloured snails, there's a higher percentage in grassland and low percentage in woodlands. (2)

22. Woodland snails are better adapted because they are camouflaged (1)

23. Horses foot size increased, amount of foot touching the floor decreased (2)

24. Foot has a larger surface area so less pressure on soft mud so they don't sink into the ground (2)

25. Variation in genes/mutations, better characteristics allow it to survive better and breed so their genetic material are passed onto the next generations. (4)

26. Advantages 1. Males are released, they don't feed of blood so they don't cause malaria. 2. They reproduce so the children die before they become female adults and reduce malaria outbreak

27. Disadvantages 1. Millions are released which could disrupt food chain, may even reduce biodiversity. 2. There could be long term side effects

28. Overall they should/shouldn't release the mosquitos because... (4)

29. Cut the gene using an enzyme from the DNA of the bacteria. Cut the DNA, using an enzyme, of the mosquito and insert the gene into it. Put the cell back into... (3)

30. First part of the food chain are producers i.e plants (2)

31. Mayfly larvae (animal) - water pollution (1) 32. Oxygen meter/rat tailed maggots/sludge worms for water pollution (1) 60 marks

for question 29, i'm sure to get the final mark u have to say ' in the early stages of development '.

(Original post by sowmi1999)
    heyy, are you sure its Lichens? Apparently they asked for an animal..im not sure
    I don't remember it asking for animal specifically.. Probably because I did that question in the last minute.
    But if it was asking for animals, probably the mayfly larvae - used to detect levels of water pollution.

(Original post by Shrenade514)
    I put that as well, but apparently the question specified about a living indicator that was an animal - meaning bloodworms or another living animal indicator...
    Apparently so. I don't remember reading that part.. You'd probably would have had to put something like mayfly larvae - used to detect changes in water pollution levels

(Original post by habeeb_00)
    Independent company would be unaffiliated with the drug company

Legal, recreational

Boys drink more beer, lager, cider than girls, girls drink more of everything else

It's too small a sample size

Fat - store of energy and warmth
    Carbs/sugars - used for energy through respiration
    Proteins - growth, repair of cells, replacement of old ones
    Fibre - used to aid digestion

Skin is sense organ for spinal cord

80/50 = 1.6 for neurone speed

That's jumbled up - what did ya get for the horses one
    4 toe bones > 1 long and thicker hoof.
    thinner and smaller ankle + foot bone > taller, higher up and thicker

(few more)
    literally the variation question was.

< variation through mutation when the mud dried in few of the horses,
    < this variation caused competition between the "original horse (forgot name ;d)" and the new varied offspring
    < survival of the fittest, the ones who had this variation were able to survive and the ones who did not have this variation would be killed, eaten ect. (many reasons)
    <the ones who could successfully breed would pass their genes (the varied gene) down to its offspring, (if you have a 5 mark question for this say that a new sub-species is created.

(Original post by Basit2010)
    mate don't be mad that you are intellectually inept.. You should have revised harder rather than cramming the night before.

just look at ur profile picture

(Original post by habeeb_00)
    I got 0.666 whoops for the malaria one

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeah, i got the same.

You can make an official complaint to aqa tel; 0800 1977162 speak to customer services and ask them to email confirmation back to you. They are investing this paper and the more complaints
    the more they will have to do sort this mess out ! Get dialling

Do you think they will accept: the sun makes the snails' shells get lighter instead of the camouflage in the woodland?
    And do you think that if I wrote an independent company is one that doesnt rely on anything else to function, would that be right?
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 24, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.