The Student Room Group

How do you think the AQA GCSE Biology 1 paper was?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Thank God the 6 mark question was about diet!!
Original post by Ify7
I wrote that it will reduce the amount of people getting infected by malaria because it stops adult mosquioes from growing. However a disadvantage is that it will reduce biodiversity and may effect other wild animals

I said how the gene could get out (e.g through crossbreeding etc.) and become present in the genetic material of other animals, particularly female mosquitoes. This would be devastating as female mosquitoes feed on human blood and the gene could thus end up in human DNA (dun dun daaaaaaa)! I then wrote about food chain being disrupted. Then potential harmful effects on organisms if they consume the genetically modified mosquitoes.

However, the releasing of the mosquitos ensures that offspring would die and so the threat of mosquitoes and the amount of people infected etc. would likely decrease.
Reply 62
I don't want to sound like a troll but I wouldn't say that the paper was hard, I'd say it's more like I cannot tell what I got in the end since it's all general knowledge.
Like at least if it was a B1 test that followed the specimen (which I did revise the night before) and did crap, I could at least have a feeling for it since my answers would be nothing similar to those in past papers. But this paper was just full of common knowledge and it's really hit or miss. Like "what is an independent company"? What kind of question is that? I did answer that since I knew what it was, being 'a company that has no connections with the drug company' but still, what kind of question is that?

Also, the questions were horribly presented. There was a question with 2 snails, one being black with stripes and one being white without stripes. Why present those two snails when the next picture was a graph telling you otherwise? Absolutely ridiculous.
In a panic I put down a percentage of 6.66% for the standard form question... :frown:
Original post by Jdb2000
Thank God the 6 mark question was about diet!!

That question actually saved me
Original post by rheapls
THE FIRST QUESTION WAS A JOKEEE! I had no idea what an independent company was so I winged it

I'm in year 13 but why was this even in a biology paper? Hearing this is making me worry for my A2 exam in a few weeks lol
Reply 66
What is an independent company?????
Original post by Ify7
What did everyone put for the sense organ that is found on the brain ( or something like that)

The skin I think
Original post by Redcoats
Judging by unofficial mark scheme and my own knowledge, I'm looking at around 52-53/60. Any ideas what grade this would be?

A* most certainly
Reply 69
Can someone help me out with something, I think I saw the question about pollution indicators ask for which animal is an indicator of pollution and so do a couple of kids in my school. Did anyone else read that? either im right and loads of people read it wrong or, I imagined it.
Reply 70
Original post by ReluctantWriter
Oh, and WTF was that 2-marker on synapses and the last bit on animal indicators?
How do you get 2 marks for writing about a gap?

you had to say
a gap between two neurons where chemicals are transferred across
Reply 71
How do you even grow a gm mosquitoe? Tbh the paper was very hard and about 95% of the paper wasnt even knowledge based and it was so annoying so now i guess all we can do is hope that they lower the grade boundaries
I can't remember but I think I just put 0.6%, without the recurring do you not get the mark??
Reply 73
Yeah im pretty sure that was the last question or something like that on the paper. Im not sure but by animals did it mean things like sludgeworms or mayfly larvae?
And also do invertebrates count as animal indicators or did I have to put a specific animal? Also I though Lichen was a tree and it asked for an animal indicator?
Reply 75
Original post by Katewashere
I can't remember but I think I just put 0.6%, without the recurring do you not get the mark??

Well if you rounded it should of been 7, not 6.
what would the grade boundries be...? considering most people struggled.
an animal one was the fresh water shrimp and it detected low water pollution levels
I made so much silly mistakes in the exam, but contemplating now, it wasn't as hard as I intended it out to be. Reckon high grade boundaries, other schools found it easy af so :/
Yeah i got the same (0.6) - i though i really screwed that one up
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending