The Student Room Group

How do you think the AQA GCSE Biology 1 paper was?

Scroll to see replies

I honestly think everyone should have an additional mark for the question on independent companies
Original post by TrumpIsFancy
was the very last part worth 1 mark? in the first part I put invertebrates to measure water pollution would that be correct?
That would be correct :smile:, you would get the second mark for mentioning the other test for pollution in water you could use is an oxygen meter.
There was kind of the carbon cycle, as the vacuum flask one had good conditions for detritus feeders which feed on the decaying plant and respire releasing CO2. That's in the carbon cycle but more so with animal waste.
I hope that's right anyway. The paper was horrific, I knew it would be bad as soon as I saw it had a new layout on the front
Original post by crustyegg
That would be correct :smile:, you would get the second mark for mentioning the other test for pollution in water you could use is an oxygen meter.

ohhh so both parts combined were only worth 2 marks? cool lol. do you think the grade boundaries in the paper would be low or high?
Original post by strongcurrent
I honestly think everyone should have an additional mark for the question on independent companies
Me too. Although I understood it and answered right, the question was not worded as to the specification. nor was it in the appropriate context.. so many people got confused with the GCSE business studies definition and wrote that down, i don't blame them. :frown: x
Me too. Although I understood it and answered right, the question was not worded as to the specification. nor was it in the appropriate context.. so many people got confused with the GCSE business studies definition and wrote that down, i don't blame them. :frown: x

I walked out that exam and literally just shouted-

"WAS THAT BUSINESS STUDIES OR SOMETHING"
That would be correct :smile:, you would get the second crusty egg for mentioning the other test for pollution in water you could use is an oxygen meter.

why was a temperature sensor used? first I put it would be more accurate but I thought that since data loggers were mentioned I put that the data loggers would be able to collect the data from the temperature sensors for later use.
Tbh I'm so glad I was unable to revise for that exam I though I was gonna fail for sure but tbh it was actually really easy apart from what is independent company???
Wtaf I still don't know what the it was accutally talking about ??
(edited 7 years ago)
ohhh so both parts combined were only worth 2 marks? cool lol. do you think the grade boundaries in the paper would be low or high?

Well I found it really easy but i'm a proper science nerd :s-smilie:
the questions were so vague and half of the actual syllabus wasn't on the paper. I think alot of people struggled so it could be low. But AQA might take it as they made the paper easier, and it was more common sense than actual knowledge of biology so the boundaries could be high. Especially with the six marker on healthy diet..
I reckon it will be medium/high boundaries. Impossible to predict though x
why was a temperature sensor used? first I put it would be more accurate but I thought that since data loggers were mentioned I put that the data loggers would be able to collect the data from the temperature sensors for later use.
Because the results would be more precise/accurate. You could also say the digital display is easier to read. x
I nearly cried when i saw the new layout what even was that comic sans font or :eek3::eek3:
Original post by alyxgower
There was kind of the carbon cycle, as the vacuum flask one had good conditions for detritus feeders which feed on the decaying plant and respire releasing CO2. That's in the carbon cycle but more so with animal waste.
I hope that's right anyway. The paper was horrific, I knew it would be bad as soon as I saw it had a new layout on the front
Well I found it really easy but i'm a proper science nerd :s-smilie:
the questions were so vague and half of the crusty eggs weren't on the paper. I think alot of people struggled so it could be low. But AQA might take it as they made the paper easier, and it was more common sense than actual knowledge of biology so the boundaries could be high. Especially with the six marker on healthy diet..
I reckon it will be medium/high boundaries. Impossible to predict though x

hmmm for the question on why the thrushes only got 66% of the biomass I put that there were only two thrushes for 500 snails which was small.

for the question on whether GM mosquitos should be used or not I wasn't sure and I wrote: No they shouldn't be used because they can harm the other mosquitos, reduce biodiversity and in the future all mosquitos might become GM.

wbu
Totally agree about it being nothing like past papers. Overall, it didn't feel well put together, the questions all semed quite random and didn't relate to the spec as much as we were led to believe prior the exam. Someone started a petition to lower the grade boundaries, it's popularity is increasing quite quickly, understandably: https://www.change.org/p/aqa-lower-the-grade-boundaries-for-aqa-biology-2016-examination?recruiter=249383816&utm_source=petitions_show_components_action_panel_wrapper&utm_medium=copylinkboundaries https://www.change.org/p/aqa-lower-the-grade-boundaries-for-aqa-biology-2016-examination?recruiter=249383816&utm_source=petitions_show_components_action_panel_wrapper&utm_medium=copylink
Because the results would be more precise/accurate. You could also say the digital display is easier to read. x

but isn't a thermometer as accurate?? idk lol
A company not affiliated with the pharmaceutical company who developed the drug.
It's because if the company who made the drug/medicine tested it's own product it could alter the results to make it look like there was less side effects/it was better at treating the symptoms.
This would be biased.

for that I just put 'a company that doesn't develop the drug' would that be correct?
sorry for so many questions lol
Original post by strongcurrent

Same that was bs

:facepalm:
for that I just put 'a company that doesn't develop the drug' would that be correct?
sorry for so many questions lol
it's okay dude PM me if you want i wanna chat about this hella crusty exam WTF ABOUT THAT THERMOS FLASK WITH THE MOULDY GRASS IN IT THOUGH.
I think that should be correct x
Original post by ellenpeters
did anyone get 0.6 reccuring on the malaria question?

Omg yes this is giving me hope 😭😭
not really because the chance of misreading the thermometer is much higher , and also it can give more precise units of temperature like 13.023 degrees celcius for example. x
but isn't a thermometer as accurate?? idk lol
Original post by ReluctantWriter
Oh, and WTF was that 2-marker on synapses and the last bit on animal indicators?
How do you get 2 marks for writing about a gap?

1 mark for saying it's a gap, the other for saying it's between two neurons

Quick Reply