The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by recruitment93
Are you currently looking for a cyber security analyst position?

Don't know much about cyber security currently. I am tending to other applications at the moment So it's unlikely I'll be available for that position
Original post by recruitment93
I am a recruitment consultant currently looking for candidates for a cyber security analyst position, any kind of internship experience would be preferred but I am willing to send candidates with strong educational backgrounds.

can you send details and the website?
Reply 22
There are companies that really look to take on IT grads (and indeed non IT grads) as software engineers. Both Sky and Sky Bet and Gaming have graduate software academies.
Original post by sw89
There are companies that really look to take on IT grads (and indeed non IT grads) as software engineers. Both Sky and Sky Bet and Gaming have graduate software academies.

Hey, do you know anything about/have experience with the application for these particular software academies? How good do you think your maths has to be? I haven't done maths in years (entering my last year at uni) and this is something i'm getting increasingly worried about. Sorry for random question!
Reply 24
Original post by maria-isabella
Hey, do you know anything about/have experience with the application for these particular software academies? How good do you think your maths has to be? I haven't done maths in years (entering my last year at uni) and this is something i'm getting increasingly worried about. Sorry for random question!

Hey there. I do as I am on a software engineering scheme with one of the above companies as of 1st August. Feel free to send me a pm should you have any further queries, but if anything the most important thing is to have a demonstrated interest in technology and a bit of experience in coding (it can be self-taught). If I remember the online maths test it really was basic GCSE type stuff.
I luckily found a graduate job. I searched cyber security firms in the city I wanted to work in, then reached out to them inquiring about jobs. They replied, asked for a phone call which led to an interview and I started today!
Reply 26
yeah, its not a big thing to worry about only when you know the path which can get you a good job. Today's world certification are considered worth of doing and can make it possible for you to get a job.Its not a big deal to crack and can get you placed easily with good salary so why not give a shot.
Reply 27
I didn't struggle to find a job, there are so many out there in the IT sector, it's probably the best place to find a job I'd say.
Reply 28
I didn't struggle, no. I got a full time non-conditional position before I finished my degree at a small startup. I actually started at the company part time two months before my last exam.
You should all just apply for tier 1 helpdesk as a step in the IT world even if your main focus is programming tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone looking for a two year graduate role? PM me for more details.
Reply 31
Original post by Compton Menace
You should all just apply for tier 1 helpdesk as a step in the IT world even if your main focus is programming tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

In a tier 1 helpdesk job you are gonna spend most of your day asking people to turn their workstation off and on again, or helping them how to find their lost Word document. If you want to work with programming, DO NOT apply to a helpdesk job.
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
any tips on where to look? I've been looking at my linked in recommendations but they are mostly in London. I've also been looking at my uni's job site, some graduate job sites and the popular sites like reed/monster

I had to move away from my home town in order to get a job in software development. Have you thought about moving?
Original post by ahpadt
In a tier 1 helpdesk job you are gonna spend most of your day asking people to turn their workstation off and on again, or helping them how to find their lost Word document. If you want to work with programming, DO NOT apply to a helpdesk job.

He's got a point though. For my placement year I worked on a 1st Line IT Service Desk and I went straight into a software development role after university. My employer was pleased by the fact I had work experience in IT. Sometimes it doesn't matter what experience you have when applying for a graduate role. What does matter though is if you have any experience.
Hi, i am looking for fresh graduate who are enthusiastic about Linux admin role (full time) in London office.

Please pm me if you're keen. Thanks Phoebe
Reply 35
Yea really struggling to get into jobs as i have 3rd class with no work experience in IT field. I have applied for 30 jobs or something and never have i ever mentioned class honor in CV or linkedin. I haven't heard from them so far apart from one call i got this morning from grb but i couldn't understand what she asked on CV and she hung up moment later. .
I didn't struggle myself, but I think the year in industry really helped with that. I also started applying for jobs as soon as I started third year, which I would really recommend, as it means you're a lot more prepared, and can interview early etc.
Hi there,

I`m a Business MA graduate as well and looking to get into project word, and really keen to try myself out as a Business Analyst, but as far as I am concerned, there is no clear career path into it. I have experience in user research, a worked more than 1,5 years for a digital agency, so I`m confident to say that I`ve seen some bits and pieces of it, and already worked closely with designers. Can you give me any adviceon how to get into this world? Thanks so much,
B
10 months after graduation with a computer science degree, Still no job's replies or feedback just silence. Thinking of giving up on the field and just focus on getting some money.
Reply 39
I didn't struggle, but then I had a lot of industry experience already under my belt - compared to my peers who I graduated with. Enter the IT roots of Sydmin..

I started "working" in my industry when I was 16. I did IT support for the local community I lived in. Windows reinstalls, virus/malware checkups, new software installs, that sort of thing. Before it was super easy and Google was a widespread thing. I used to go to families, old folks, anyone who really wanted any help. I put cards up in the local newsagents, advertised my mobile number and people called me. I charged a small hourly fee, publicised on that ad and soon enough I had a few repeat customers that happened to own local businesses and it grew from there.

Before I knew it I was doing website design, hosting, bespoke application development - I had to teach myself all of what I needed to know. Soon those £15 an hour "Windows checkup" jobs were behind me and I was charging £50 an hour website design and £10 a month website hosting, support and email. I handled everything from their domain registration to anti spam rules on their inbox. It was a great little earner and it got me acustom to the business world, how people treat each other and how real work is done. It taught me a lot about the industry and about the technology. I contracted for a local school doing network and server support. I got some hand-me-down rackmount 1U servers and network gear and built my own homelab. I taught myself how to setup and configure a network the hard way, with enterprise level kit.

I went to university and continued to build applications, websites - except with my experience to date I was now writing my own contracts up, agreeing SLAs, having client meetings on the days where I had no contact time. When people came back from their placement years wide-eyed and reeling in the corporate environment, I found I had been doing it freelance, on an off, for about 5-6 years. It was a bit of a shock - I had this wealth of experience that I thought I had just blagged my way through to get some extra money and it turns out this experience could be directly applied to what I wanted to do going forward. Landed on my feet, I did.

I interviewed for a full time systems analyst position in my third year. I got the job offer, accepted it working 2 days a week until I graduated when I would become full time and stayed there for 2 years doing a mixture of business analysis, systems analysis, project management and general bits and pieces.

So uh, yeah. I had a slightly unique start to my professional career. I encourage anyone who is passionate about IT, technology or anything like that to do exactly the same.

Latest

Trending

Trending