The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Im doing Chinese and Russian in sept and went to a talk about chinese on an open day for accepted students thing. From what they said, it seemed really good. Uhmm they showed us computer resources they used for the language and also emphasied the fact that it was the only uni in the UK, possibly the world that had and exclusive School of Chinese studies. also the whole Nottingham Ningbo campus looks good.
The woman also said that by the end of the 4 years you should be able to read most characters in a chinese newspaper or somehting along them lines.

In terms of a useful language, i'd say any language is useful, and you can never realistically predict how useful it will be fore you. I think you need to look more from a perspective of how motivated you will be to learn chinese, will you enjoy it etc.
But yes China is supposed to be going through the whole economic boom thing so yes it will probably be useful!! Even if you dont use it often, to an employer it looks impressive becuase it shows you've worked hard on a difficult language etc.

Hope some of that helps!!

*edit*

oh forgot to add, according to The Times Good University Guide Nottingham is 3rd (after Oxbridge) for "East and South Asian Studies) :smile:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
supajay
Is Nottingham safe cos ive heard all these stories of Nottingham having a high crime rate but I jus want to know if any students at Nottingham feel safe there

No, Nottingham isn't safe. No-one leaves their home after 4pm. Anything you haven't bolted down will get nicked. There are shootings on campus weekly.
Reply 3
are you serious?
yikeys
supajay
are you serious?
yikeys

lol noo he was being sarcastic!!!! At the uni talks they said stuff about how people had lived there for ages etc and never had anyhting happened, its like anything areally common sense and keep out of dodgey areas!
Reply 5
supajay
are you serious?
yikeys

I've been shot 6 times in the last 14 minutes.
Reply 6
alex-hs
I've been shot 6 times in the last 14 minutes.

lmao
Reply 7
Acidedge
No, Nottingham isn't safe. No-one leaves their home after 4pm. Anything you haven't bolted down will get nicked. There are shootings on campus weekly.

LOL u guys are cruel!

no nottinghams fine! i was scared too at first but then i asked around and looked into it and turns out the media has just exagerrated and emphasized on an old myth.
Reply 8
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I wrote this ages ago; might help.

Just remember that University Park doesn't have some sort of magical force field around it, protecting you from the outside world, like Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardy. There are a lot of complete low-life scumbags in Nottingham, just like any other large city or town, and some of them target students as easy victims.

Some pointers to stop you being an easy victim: Lock your doors and windows whenever you leave your room. Don't leave stereos and laptops on display in your room. Make sure your bike is locked securely and keep it indoors if possible. Don't carry large sums of cash or expensive mobile phones on you at night and don't wander around at night alone. And don't hang around in the city until the wee hours on a Friday or Saturday night.

If you're sensible and stay out of trouble you'll be fine.
Reply 9
thank god

yeah, i knew he was being sarcy, kinda obvious...

Latest

Trending

Trending