The Student Room Group

gcse biology unit 1 aqa 2016

how did everyone find the biology unit 1 aqa 2016 paper today?
What did you write for 6 marker?
Original post by luckycactus1337
What did you write for 6 marker?

I said carbohydrates release energy, fats release energy and are also stored for insulation, proteins are used for cell repair, replacement and growth, fibres are used to keep the digestive system working, and vitamins are needed in small amounts to keep basic bodily functions healthy. I didn't know what else to put after that lol
Original post by issathemuslim1
how did everyone find the biology unit 1 aqa 2016 paper today?

I found it alright, except for that independent company question like wth was that??
Would saying Carbohydrates and fats "produce" energy be acceptable instead of "release" do you think?
I didn't talk about fibre, i did carbohydrates, proteins fats and cholesterol (all with reasonings)
The test was ok, AQA condoning underage drinking, though!:colone:
Reply 7
Do you reckon I would get marks for identifying the components like fats, carbohydrates, proteins etc? I didn't mention the functions of them though - mind went blank. I also mentioned that all these components are needed because in order to have a healthy diet you need a balance of these components. If it does become unbalanced then you could become malnourished - overweight and underweight. Do think I would get marks for putting this in my answer for the 6 marker?
Reply 8
Original post by Charlie223
The test was ok, AQA condoning underage drinking, though!:colone:

What did you put for that question?
Original post by iRockyy
What did you put for that question?

I'm a GCSE student myself, but I would say you would get some marks for that 6 marker.

I can't remember what I wrote or what the question was, but it was something like this. Boys seem to drink more beer than girls as (quoted a figure) drink beer in boy and (quoted a figure) in girls, while girls seem to drink more (listed the alcohols) than boys. (It was only 2 marks so I didn't think to go into much detail)
Reply 10
Original post by iRockyy
Do you reckon I would get marks for identifying the components like fats, carbohydrates, proteins etc? I didn't mention the functions of them though - mind went blank. I also mentioned that all these components are needed because in order to have a healthy diet you need a balance of these components. If it does become unbalanced then you could become malnourished - overweight and underweight. Do think I would get marks for putting this in my answer for the 6 marker?

partially? because it did state that you need to explain why you need the components. :smile: I,e carbs because its a slow release of energy.
Reply 11
That's basically what I put!!
Reply 12
What did everyone get for the amount of mosquitos that spread malaria? The percentage question with the standard form
Original post by Alystahh
What did everyone get for the amount of mosquitos that spread malaria? The percentage question with the standard form

I got 66.66%
Reply 14
I got 0.66%
Original post by Imirrelevant
Would saying Carbohydrates and fats "produce" energy be acceptable instead of "release" do you think?

no, bc they dont produce energy bro
Original post by SugarBubbles2000
I said carbohydrates release energy, fats release energy and are also stored for insulation, proteins are used for cell repair, replacement and growth, fibres are used to keep the digestive system working, and vitamins are needed in small amounts to keep basic bodily functions healthy. I didn't know what else to put after that lol

could have mentioned water - required for all chemical reactions to take place in the body and it keeps you hydrated
Original post by issathemuslim1
could have mentioned water - required for all chemical reactions to take place in the body and it keeps you hydrated

Ahh I forgot about water!! That's probably one of the most important components tbh
Reply 18
For the 6 marker I didn't write about vitamins because I thought it said "mineral ions and vitamins..." at the beginning, oops :s-smilie:
The diet topic and indicator animals topics were the only ones I didn't really revise and they both came up :colonhash:
I was doing the whole 6 marker on educated guess work but don't know if it's right :redface:
- carbohydrates
- convert into glucose for respiration, energy release
- convert into glycogen to be used by the muscles (?)
- fats
- energy source when insufficient carbohydrates
- energy store
- proteins
- broken down into amino acids to be built into other substances needed by the body
- vitamins/minerals
- correct functioning of the body
- water
- used to transport substances
- osmosis, stability of cells so that animal cells do not shrivel (I had no idea what I was writing lol)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending