The Student Room Group

Very worried about the future

hi guys

Jus finished exams. Very stressful. My last was OCR economics which was a complete disaster. I jus didnt have enough preparation for it and have learnt my lesson. I feel im gonna get a C in it honestly.

The thing is that i wanna do Economics at university. Im so worried about how bad i fooked up that exam that ive started revising already for the 3 ocr AS modules for economics for January 2008 exams

I want to know will the 3 retake modules in January for economics affect a university place. I will definitely do well in those exams as ive learnt my lesson. The other 3 subjects went really well apart from economics and this is really stressing me out and my head is bound to explode between now and august
Reply 1
do u really need the econmics for your university place?
Reply 2
Just be honest about it. If they question about the resits you took admit that you didn't put enough work in and were disappointed in yourself, but you pulled it together and put the time and effort into the subject to achieve the grade that you were capable of and like you said, have learned from your mistakes and will put 100% in from now on. If you show that you can be a good student and achieve an A or a B or whatever then you're showing that you've got the dedication and drive to succeed in that subject, which in the end is what the admissions tutors will be looking for. If you address it in your personal statement or an interview and put a positive spin on it, it'll look better than if you just ignore it altogether. Don't worry so much about it =]
Reply 3
Hay steve,

I shouldnt worry about if you did bad or not in the exam as worrying about it wont change anything. Anyway I've seen countless people say that they have done crap in their exams including me, but they end up coming out with good grades.

If on the occation you did get bad grades then dont worry, it is likely that the university will still accept you as they also base their descion on your predicted grade. If you are trying your best and your teacher knows this, then they will put down a good grade and the uni will just think you had a bad day.... plus if you are going for resits the uni will know that you can achive much much better.

If you take my sister for example she got 2 C's and a B for her AS and she wanted to do physiotheropy which requires ABB, she showed that she was doing all resists and the teacher put down good grades and the uni accepted her, so dont worry
If you do badly, you can decline your grade and unis won't know what you got. It will look suspicious if your other grades are cashed in and it obviously doesn't help that it's the subject you want to do at uni, but if you're predicted an A or B and do well in your other subjects, it shouldn't be a major problem.
Reply 5
Yes i need to do economics

thanks for the reassurance guys.

But my stupid school says they base their A level predictions on As Level grades. Where an A at AS is an A at Alevel. They have said from the beginning of our year it is very rare we change our predictions...

Its totally fuc*ed up.

Being realistic
If worse comes to worse and i dont get any acceptance letters but i do very well at A level say high A grades what happens then can i reapply?
Reply 6
Then you stay another year and reaply. You would probably get an uncoditional offer and you might aswell take a couple of AS's to bump up your ucas points and for bragging rights :biggrin: thats what I would do :tongue:
Reply 7
another year. eek

Seems like the sensible thing to do. I think i could do an Investment banking internship in this gap year and reapply in the "gap year"
Reply 8
steve2006
Yes i need to do economics

thanks for the reassurance guys.

But my stupid school says they base their A level predictions on As Level grades. Where an A at AS is an A at Alevel. They have said from the beginning of our year it is very rare we change our predictions...

Its totally fuc*ed up.

Being realistic
If worse comes to worse and i dont get any acceptance letters but i do very well at A level say high A grades what happens then can i reapply?

Think of it this way the are just predictions if you have an interview for your place at uni then just tell them you had a bad exam on the day and are going to resit it, dont waste your time panicking its not worth it when you dont even know the result yet...and when you do get your results go speak to somebody about it. All my predictions my college made were a grade higher then what i achieved as believe it or not they want you to go to uni and off their hands!
Reply 9
I really shouldn't be sugesting this but what the hell :tongue: You can always say that you been having some problems at home or somthing similar and thats why you did bad (If you did do bad) They then take that into consideration when deciding if they let you in or not. I have known many people to do this but myself have never done it.

This is lieing yes, but it may just help you. Though if you get cought out in an interview....... well they wouldnt let you in. Again im not condoning this just sugesting :tongue:
Reply 10
xj9x
Think of it this way the are just predictions if you have an interview for your place at uni then just tell them you had a bad exam on the day and are going to resit it, dont waste your time panicking its not worth it when you dont even know the result yet...and when you do get your results go speak to somebody about it. All my predictions my college made were a grade higher then what i achieved as believe it or not they want you to go to uni and off their hands!

ta really reassuring. Dday is in August. Hoping for the best

@alun789 thanks for that suggestion mate but doubt it would work.
Reply 11
Ahhhhh you would be supprised :wink: For example my friend was attacked on one of his nights out and was unable to "focus" for his exams. He stated this to the univercity and was let in. But then again his was a legtimate reason.
Anyways you will probs did fine in the exams and dont worry about.
Reply 12
steve2006
ta really reassuring. Dday is in August. Hoping for the best

@alun789 thanks for that suggestion mate but doubt it would work.

see bet that calmed you down a bit, right i betta get off tsr and start revising lol exam friday god i hate sport!
Reply 13
eh good luck. Thanks for ur help puts an end to those sleepless nites
Reply 14
Don't worry too much. Even if you do mess up, they'll likely still take you. I can tell you now that I'm going to underperform in my History exams, but I still think I have a reasonable chance of getting into my firm. As long as you don't miss it very badly, you'll probably be ok. Most people don't do anything like as poorly as they expect.
Reply 15
Hi Steve

I wouldn't say you didn't do enough work at a uni interview - they might then say you won't work there. I would be as unspecific as possible, and say you had a bad exam or bad day, and say how you are going to turn it around in January. If it comes to that. I thought I'd mucked up my best GCSE subject, and it was a terrible exam, but still came out with what I'd been hoping for, so maybe it won't be as bad as you think, especially it other people found it bad. Can your school/College support you with UCAS? They must have to do a reference and so could say something good about how good you are at economics etc. I got to discuss my reference with the head and it was really reassuring to know they had been nice about me!

Good luck - just try to put it behind you (I know how hard that is) and hope things turn out well.

Lys

Latest