The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Not me but a friend wrote about Eric and Sheila's relationship instead of Sheila and Gerald's relationship in the Eng Lit exam on monday
AS Chem Unit 2 exam last year - there was a question where you had to identify two group 2 ions from their flame tests.

In my blind panic trying to decipher 'colourless' and 'yellow-red', I didn't think to check group 2 in my periodic table, nor add 2+ to my answers...

Needless to say I got an E overall and I was kicked off the course :giggle: I was crap at it anyway.
Original post by Teee123
Failed to get a higher grade in English GCSE cos a Pigeon crashed in the window and I spent the next 15 minutes thinking how that dumb pigeon was instead of working. Idk if this counts but it was dumb either way.

Pigeons are waging a war on exam halls :yum:
I remember in GCSE physics back in 2011 they asked you to label this picture, there was an arrow pointing to what looked like a microphone, I thought it couldn't possibly have been such a simple answer and so wrote something stupid like an audiographer and got it wrong -_-
I got my Economics Unit 2 paper back and in the same essay I had written 'labour is a derived demand' FOUR TIMES. You know, just in case the examiner had forgotten . . .

In my English Literature GCSE I did a whole text question which we hadn't been prepared for because I wanted to do a certain poem in the other section and there were weird rules about how many of each you could do.
(edited 7 years ago)
Just SH@ myself in the C2 exam, the first question really got me
(edited 7 years ago)
Managed to write -40/32 for the answer in C1, then simplified this to -1.2 for the final answer. Doh!
Reply 227
Original post by Shadow Hunters
I'm not doing GCSE's but this makes me feel a bit better about my Scottish higher exams. :s-smilie: I'm not the only one who makes mistakes!
I didn't mention the main argument the question asked for in my higher history exam worth 20/90 marks. :facepalm:
All my counter arguments were good but I didn't mention exactly what they wanted whoops. Might have cost me my good grade, but hopefully I'll get some marks for that area, technically I was correct as it was in ww2 and they asked about tensions during ww2 to cause the Cold War but it wasn't in the category they wanted when I checked BBC bitesize. Just gotta wait and find out on results day aha.

I did that essay too! Care to clarify where you think you went wrong?
Reply 228
Always forget to put the (+c) in maths integration question who else done this stupid mistake? Costs me the easiest mark in the whole paper every time!
and guess what..

Spoiler

Original post by Tropojanja
No joke, i did half a page of working out for a 6 mark question and i got zero for forgetting to divide by two. Honestly.

Anyone have their stories to tell about exam mistakes?

In my gcse re mock i chose the section that we never studied but got the highest mark lol
I didnt see question 11 in C1 :colondollar:
Original post by MaiBr13
I did that essay too! Care to clarify where you think you went wrong?

Thanks for the reply! :smile: I thought by "wartime tensions" they meant the atomic bomb over Japan and what Russia thought, you know that they weren't told which is technically correct but is also usually in a seperate category. :redface: Just gotta hope the counter arguments get points because I don't think I was correct. I didn't mention exactly what they wanted.
Reply 232
Not one I've made, but I remember in the same exam session two of my friends made really stupid mistakes :'D
One of them finished before time, did not notice the last question (~10 marks) and relaxed for the rest of the exam... Only when we discussed the exam after we finished did he realize that he had left it blank :'D
The other guy used pencil for the whole exam except the final answers !!
I couldn't laugh at their misery :frown:
Sounds discombobulating a.k.a. Confusing
Writing 24-16=10
In my physics mock I missed out a 6 mark question. I just didn't see it somehow, though I really don't know how I could have missed it as it took up a whole page in the exam :s-smilie: . I still got an A!
Reply 236
Used sine rule without using sin ...
during the mocks one time i went into an exam convinced it was my phyics exam, went in, went to my supposed seat and someone else was sat there, so i go over to the invigilator and say ye where am sat. and then i realise. my exam is in the afternoon. by this point everyone was sat down and they all watched me scurry out of the hall, so embarrassed i could die. fortunately i styled it of and pretended i was in the wrong hall but in actual fact i just went into the toilets and cried.
Original post by Alicemidgetgem
Sounds discombobulating a.k.a. Confusing

It's chemistry, what can I say? It's the third hardest a-level after physics and general studies apparently
I started AS Chem and dropped it after a month 😂. I thought that stuff was physics. I don't understand why general studies is considered so hard if most unis don't accept it. My dad's general studies exam had Urdu in it and he guessed the answers. He somehow got an A 🙃

Latest