Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Open University social work degree, need advice urgently**

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
    • Thread Starter


    I really want to do the Open University social work degree, only it says you need to be working in a social care agency.
    Would it be possible for me to just get some work experience somewhere like HomeStart as a home support volunteer or maybe volunteering or working in a care home and do the degree along side that.

    Any advice?

    The Social Work degree doesn't just require you to work in social care, but you'll also need to be sponsored for the degree programme by your employer, and they're the ones who actually apply on your behalf to the programme.

    You'll probably want to make some inquiries to HR managers of agencies near you as to their ability to sponsor volunteers, or employment opportunities which would enable them to.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.