Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

My dissertation was under the word count...

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hey everyone

So I handed in my dissertation on May 3rd and this has been playing on my mind since submission.

I have been really ill, I had a medical concession last year and only returned to study in January this year to finish my final year. So, I have only had a few months to do my dissertation, with half the amount of supervision and I wasn't given an opportunity to submit a draft chapter like everyone else- its been pretty crap to be honest.

My problem is that I was under the 10,000 word limit by about 700 words, I said that my word count was 9,700 (which is fine at my uni, they post dissertations that got firsts and often their count is only about 9,600-9,900) so I lied about an extra 400 words which is roughly a page of writing. In total, my page count is what you would expect for a 10,000 dissertation because it includes figures in the text so it doesn't look any shorter than past dissertations.

I did a stupid thing by lying about the word count but it was hard enough getting the thing submitted - I really struggled in the run up to the deadline and the university is well aware of this. I checked the word count on some past dissertations - one which declared a 9,550 word count actually only wrote 9,064 words but still got a first and a few others were way under what they stated they were, all achieving firsts. I am not expecting a first by any means but do you think they will pick up on this? We had to hand in hard copies, these are marked, and then a Turnitin submission for plagiarism checks. It seems to me they don't check the actual word count unless the dissertation looks very long?

Do you think they would have contacted me by now if they suspected any plagiarism or have noticed the inaccurate word count? Sorry, I am just so anxious about it now - all I want to do is graduate.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

Does your uni have a percentage of which you can be under or over the word count? At the uni am at it is 10% of the assignment. My dissertation was 8000 and I was over by 700 on it. I wouldn't have lied on the total word count as that's slightly dishonest but I don't think it going to cause you much issue. If your uni has something similar to 10% either side of word count then you got nothing to worry about. Writing under the word count suggests writing slightly too little but if it's concise and to the point you won't get penalised.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

Freshers guidePreparing for universityGuide to Freshers' WeekCity and nightlife guidesAlcohol guide for freshersStaying safe at uniBudgeting and financeStudent foodTravel and getting aroundUniversity study tipsHow to write your dissertation in just four weeksA week in the life of a uni student

Sponsored features:

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Canterbury Christ Church University logo

Canterbury Christ Church University

Discover more about this community-focused university

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick link:

Unanswered uni life threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.