Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Can Universities retract offers for bullying?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 11-10-2016

Is it likely that a uni would retract an offer if the school that the candidate is currently at tells the uni that that student has been bullying someone?

No, but stop bullying people.

I don't think they would but I think they should if the allegations were proven.

Sounds unlikely, but the bullying should stop anyway.

Unis can withdraw an offer if they think references were false. If a reference went on about what a wonderful, thoughtful, kind person a student was, and they were then thrown out for bullying? Still seems unlikely that a school would go to the trouble of trying to revise a reference, unless the bullying was at a level where a uni needed to be warned to expect some sort of violent sociopath.

But seriously, the subject of the query should grow up before the Real World hits them like a ton of bricks. If they start throwing their weight around at uni, chances are they'll be squashed like a bug.

You're like 17, 18? And you're bullying other people. Grow up! When you go to uni you'll realise how immature you are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Georgialouisaa)
    Is it likely that a uni would retract an offer if the school that the candidate is currently at tells the uni that that student has been bullying someone?
    I think it would depend partially on the nature of the bullying. If a student had physically assaulted another, and universities they had offers from was told about this, they would probably find a way to withdraw the offer in order to avoid liability should something similar happen at university.

At the age of 17/18, if I was the victim of sustained harassment (which is what bullying is), then I'd go straight to the police. A criminal record for harassment would cause all sorts of problems for the bully in the future, not just in terms of getting into university.

If you're the bully, stop, apologise once and avoid the victim from now on, then hope they don't decide to take things further.

If it is you or a friend that is bullying then S.T.O.P.

No one likes a bully, if unis hear or see bully behaviours it won't take long for them to throw ya out

I believe a university can resend an offer whatever reason they feel like. It is their place to offer. I think it would depend entirely on the situation. Rumors of bullying are unlikely to get to a university but if there has been disciplinary action it is possible that the uni would find out and at least ask some questions. Universities turn down a lot of wonderful qualified students so if they find they have an applicant who will not be the type of student they are looking for, an asset to their university, they very well could resend an offer.

(Original post by Hopefully1)
    I believe a university can resend an offer whatever reason they feel like.
    No they can't. Unless you have lied about your qualifications or falsified your application in some way, a university can't rescind your offer. Once you have accepted an offer it is legally binding, they can't just break it.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.