The Student Room Group

Going to a private school?

So earlier this year I went through the process of taster days etc as I thought I was going to move schools from a comprehensive to an independent. Back then, the main points of moving where:

smaller classes, diverse clubs, more support as I am the first year to do the first GCSEs, more people who were achieving higher (as I am the best in year for some subjects, I found it very hard to be challenged at tasks and all I knew was my limit. I took the scholarship test which people in the other school took too but didn't get 1 of the 4 - that says something!).

But in the past few weeks I have been wandering about my decision which I made in March of submitting the acceptance letter.I feel as though I may be able to get straight 9s and 8s (new GCSE's remember!) without the 15000 pounds a year, which would be so much of a help to my family. But I am still not sure yet, as an independent school would probably make me more confident, and help me to achieve higher.

On the other hand, if i stay at my current school, I would have to do RS as one of my choices, and I don't think I am the best at that subject. but with a lot of practise from GCSE, perhaps I could receive a decent grade...

So what do you think I should do? I have never been to an independent school in my life so I don't know what the environment would be like. Furthermore, how would I tell my parents if I chose not to go from year 10? I think they have already payed the first term's 5000 pounds, but it would be non-refundable. However, it is better than paying 30000 pounds for the full price for 2 whole years!

Thanks xx. I have been worrying about this A LOT over the past few weeks and it's nice to finally get it off my chest!
Not really sue either way on your situation, but I can tell you what it's like going from a state school to private.

Firstly I wouldn't have made the switch if it had cost my family a lot of money, however because I came from a school that was 'friends' with the private school I'm at now, the fact I'm academically able, and that my family have no money, I managed to get myself a 100% scholarship.

Not only is the school I'm at now private, but it's also an all girls school... However I didn't find that a massive change as in my old school we only had 5 boys in my year. Lots of people beforehand told me that everyone would be rich and stuck up, and have really fancy names. LIES. Everyone here's is so lovely. Nobody is posh, and besides from the facts I know, you really can't tell which people are on high scholarships and who has rich parents. In terms of teaching, yeah the teachers are all lovely, and put their all in, but probably not any better than some teachers in state schools. What makes the difference is the class sizes, there are 4 of us in my physics group for example. And with maths I was struggling, so my teacher gave up one of her frees each week and me and one other student had a one to one session with her.

There are also many oppourtunities, for example we had the bloodhound car team come to our school and do activities, we have lots of funding for extracurricular activities. And often things that we don't quite have the money for to make it worthwhile (such as the bloodhound) are partly funded by people rich parents, who make no profit.

I moved here for my A/AS levels, as I lived on an island with no college/sixth form and I would rather come to a boarding school than have to stay with a random host family and go to a state college.

I think that if you're doing okay, and think you are going to achieve good grades in your current school, then maybe stay there for GCSEs. GCSEs may seem very important to you now, and they are as you need them to show to colleges and stuff, but A levels are the ones that really matter. My advice would be to make the move for college/sixth form, and save your money. But at the end of the day, you just need to do what feels right!! 😃😃

P.s. Sorry I've rambled on a bit! I'm quite tried, so apologies if this post doesn't really make much sense!!
I don't see why anybody needs to go to a private school for GCSEs or any qualification for that matter. I received a perfectly good education at my local state comprehensive with 9 A/A* and a B. I am also at a state comprehensive in another town doing my AS Levels, again, high quality of teaching especially in maths and science.

Obviously, it is up to you but if you are able to get a scholarship or if mother or father is able to pay for it then go for it! As Skipper said there does seem to be a lot more opportunities in terms of the extra-curricular side of things. Also, if you aren't as academically able you will definitely get more support at a private school due to smaller class sizes as you and Skipper have already mentioned.
Reply 3
I will keep this nice and simple
I go to a private school...and it's sh*t
teachers aren't qualified, our controlled assessments are always lost, waste of money as they make you pay for things you don't even ask for, eg our headteacher gave us a choice of doing some program and at the end he still charged us for it

I'd recommend state schools, unless maybe if you go to a private school where the fees are expensive, I guess the'd be good
But I still wouldn't take the risk if I were you ngl

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending