The Student Room Group

Media gcse exam AQA ... any tips?

I've got my media exam next Tuesday and I feel like I am going into the exam without knowing anything about media... any advice? It's about science fiction.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Justsomestudent1
I've got my media exam next Tuesday and I feel like I am going into the exam without knowing anything about media... any advice? It's about science fiction.

I have the same thing, was thinking of what sc-fi story i'm going to base it on, i think option 1 space and time is looking good right now.
Original post by Nick N
I have the same thing, was thinking of what sc-fi story i'm going to base it on, i think option 1 space and time is looking good right now.

Ahh think im gonna go for the last day and try and 'attempt' a family friendly apocolypse film. What grade did you get for your coursework?
Reply 3
I am doing this exam, and we spent up until Feb on coursework, and the teachers are basically saying just answer the question and chuck in some film examples.
:/
I feel unprepared too :frown: I got an A* in my coursework but only by 1 mark, and I really want an A* overall. I think I can get an A in my exam though as it is only 40%
Reply 5
Original post by zakimo
I am doing this exam, and we spent up until Feb on coursework, and the teachers are basically saying just answer the question and chuck in some film examples.

I'm doing this exam too, its true, just chuck in some film examples (relevant ones eg. family sci fi films), get some theory in and always write in role.
Reply 6
How many marks is the coursework?
Original post by zakimo

Oh my god we finished coursework around 3 weeks ago so we're just rushing through now. My teachers kind of given up.. but nothing much we can do now.
Original post by jazz_xox_
I feel unprepared too :frown: I got an A* in my coursework but only by 1 mark, and I really want an A* overall. I think I can get an A in my exam though as it is only 40%

I got an A* too but just scraped it, im so close to the A border and the worst part is mine has been sent off for moderation!! Im hoping to get at least an A in the exam but its gonna be so so hard=(
My teacher thinks I got a B/A in my coursework but mines got to be sent off😑 so might change, but again don't feel prepared for the exam, probably going to use the first working film title....

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel really unprepared for this exam, even though we've been working on possible exam questions for the past few weeks, and I have 1 mark off of an A* on my coursework :frown:
Original post by romansholiday
I feel really unprepared for this exam, even though we've been working on possible exam questions for the past few weeks, and I have 1 mark off of an A* on my coursework :frown:

I just know, question 1 will be very likely showing "your understanding for the genre" so might want to revise on 2 different types of science fiction film
Question 2, I think is a pitch from looking nice at the brief
Question3 might be talking about your pitch and how it does link to the brief
And Question 4 sounds like it'll be a website/online marketing product which we'll have to make

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did this exam last year when it was on TV news. I got full marks on the exam paper. I recommend you use all of the media terminology that you are aware of and go into detail with all of your explanations. Go onto the AQA website, read the mark schemes and assessment criteria (as these don't really change) and example A* response papers from previous years. Hope this helps
Original post by joshualh
I did this exam last year when it was on TV news. I got full marks on the exam paper. I recommend you use all of the media terminology that you are aware of and go into detail with all of your explanations. Go onto the AQA website, read the mark schemes and assessment criteria (as these don't really change) and example A* response papers from previous years. Hope this helps

Thank you so much. Will definitely take these into account😆

Would you say the brief gives a idea of what's going to be in the exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Joshhhhh44
Would you say the brief gives a idea of what's going to be in the exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile

definitely! You can tend to predict what will happen based upon the brief.
definitely! You can tend to predict what will happen based upon the brief.

Yeah, because in this years brief, it asked for an "understanding of Science Fiction films" so I'm guessing you'll have to talk about different types of films etc. it also asks for a pitch and online marketing product....

Posted from TSR Mobile
I mean go on the AQA website. Look at the 2015 brief and then the paper. That will tell you how much the brief influences the paper.
Does anyone taking the media exam on Tuesday have any family scifi films to use as examples and also what are your ideas for a film plot??
Original post by olivia224
Does anyone taking the media exam on Tuesday have any family scifi films to use as examples and also what are your ideas for a film plot??

I haven't really got examples of family sci-fi because from the brief, it sounds like we have to make a film which would attract a family audience, but question 1 for example is most likely going to be something along the lines of "how do science fiction films keep the audience interested?" And then you could use any type of science fiction film (probably 2) and talk about how etc....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest