The Student Room Group

What to say when emailing manager before internship starts

Right so I will be doing a summer internship this year, and I've received an email from HR informing me of the specific team I will be in and who the managing director in charge of the team is.

They said the manager is aware of the names joing their team but for us to drop an email to introduce who we are and to include some information about us.

How should I structure this email and how much should I write?

"Hi James

Hope all is well.

As you are aware, I will be commencing my summer internship in your team this June; I thought I would drop you a brief email introducing myself.

I study X at Y and my previous work experience spans from spring weeks in IBD, please find further details about these on my attached CV.

I was wondering whether it would be possible to arrange a quick phone call or a coffee beforehand so I can ask you a few questions about the role in order to best prepare for the internship?

I look forward to meeting you and starting my internship in the upcoming weeks.

Kind regards,
XY"

Is this structure ok? or is the information about myself too brief? and more importantly, is the asking to have a phone call / arrange a coffee too forward for the initial email?
Original post by Breakingbank
Right so I will be doing a summer internship this year, and I've received an email from HR informing me of the specific team I will be in and who the managing director in charge of the team is.

They said the manager is aware of the names joing their team but for us to drop an email to introduce who we are and to include some information about us.

"Hi James

Hope all is well.

As you are aware, I will be commencing my summer internship in your team this June; I thought I would drop you a brief email introducing myself.

I study X at Y and my previous work experience spans from spring weeks in IBD, please find further details about these on my attached CV.

I was wondering whether it would be possible to arrange a quick phone call or a coffee beforehand so I can ask you a few questions about the role in order to best prepare for the internship?

Kind regards,
XY"

Is this structure ok? or is the information about myself too brief? and more importantly, is the asking to have a phone call / arrange a coffee too forward for the initial email?

Ask if you can go in and meet the team. Much easier than the call / coffee bs. When I did an IBD internship, they invited me months before I started to come in and meet everyone for a few hours and go for lunch.

It will give you a much better feel of what to expect and you can ask all your questions there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Seems alright, it's good that it is brief. No, asking for phone call/coffee is not too much, in my opinion.
Original post by Breakingbank

"Hi James

Hope all is well.

Kind regards,
XY"

Is the bolded actually a question? It seems like a statement that you've ended with a question mark because when spoken you do so with an upward inflection.

I was wondering whether it would be possible to arrange a quick phone call or a coffee beforehand so I can ask you a few questions about the role in order to best prepare for the internship.

There. Now that looks correct. And you seem less unsure of yourself too because it's an assertion.

I'm micromanaging at this point but suppose it's good practice, right?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Commercial Paper
Ask if you can go in and meet the team. Much easier than the call / coffee bs. When I did an IBD internship, they invited me months before I started to come in and meet everyone for a few hours and go for lunch.

It will give you a much better feel of what to expect and you can ask all your questions there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good idea thanks!
Original post by BizzStrut

I was wondering whether it would be possible to arrange a quick phone call or a coffee beforehand so I can ask you a few questions about the role in order to best prepare for the internship.

There. Now that looks correct.

Thanks for spotting this! I've made the change

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending