The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Horrorshow
In most cases the overall mark out of 120 raw is scaled down due to the easyness of the coursework

:eek:
So if I get 60/60 UMS for the coursework, then in the synoptic exam I get 30/60 (raw) this will not give me 90/120??? It might be lower??? Oh ****.....I may need to do more work for this synoptic than I thought! :frown:
Yeh it's kinda complicated I don't really know that much about it. On the link i gave it shows that 96 raw = 96 UMS, then from there its a sliding scale downwards where for example 84 raw does not equal 84 ums, more like 70 something ums. then this gap beteen raw and ums just gets bigger the lower we go. Basically all it means is that the more raw marks on the written paper you get, the less you are penalised for UMS down scaling, if ya get what i mean? it punishes those who just do coursework and then relax.

But t around 90/120 raw you can safely assume that it equals 90/120 ums. Anything above that will just get scaled up further in your advantage. I think.

Good luck on friday btw, we need to meet our offers :smile:
Reply 42
Horrorshow
Yeh it's kinda complicated I don't really know that much about it. On the link i gave it shows that 96 raw = 96 UMS, then from there its a sliding scale downwards where for example 84 raw does not equal 84 ums, more like 70 something ums. then this gap beteen raw and ums just gets bigger the lower we go. Basically all it means is that the more raw marks on the written paper you get, the less you are penalised for UMS down scaling, if ya get what i mean? it punishes those who just do coursework and then relax.

But t around 90/120 raw you can safely assume that it equals 90/120 ums. Anything above that will just get scaled up further in your advantage. I think.

Good luck on friday btw, we need to meet our offers :smile:

Thanks for the explanation and good luck. Best of luck to you, too. I am so scared about meeting my offer, because I really think I have underperformed in so many modules this June. Just hope that my strong AS scores will mean I can still scrape A grades. Otherwise it's gap year for me! :frown:

Latest