The Student Room Group

Applying for Law for 2005 - Any advice??

Hello everyone!

I am currently doing A Levels. A Double AVCE in Business (large amount of coursework) and Psychology. Grades at the moment are BBC, but I am fairly sure that I can get this up to BBB or possibly ABB.

Been looking at doing a combined degree with Law, probably Marketing/Business.

So does anyone have any advice on how to make myself stand out? Should I do another AS Level in Law this year? Any texts which would give me an insight into the field?

Because of my not great so grades, which Uni's should I be looking at? Keele seems very good, but what about Oxford Brookes? Do the league tables really matter that much?

Thanks a lot!
Reply 1
risk-is-good
Hello everyone!

I am currently doing A Levels. A Double AVCE in Business (large amount of coursework) and Psychology. Grades at the moment are BBC, but I am fairly sure that I can get this up to BBB or possibly ABB.

Been looking at doing a combined degree with Law, probably Marketing/Business.

So does anyone have any advice on how to make myself stand out? Should I do another AS Level in Law this year? Any texts which would give me an insight into the field?

Because of my not great so grades, which Uni's should I be looking at? Keele seems very good, but what about Oxford Brookes? Do the league tables really matter that much?

Thanks a lot!

If I were you - I would take on board at least one high-order, essay-based, rigorously academic qualification. Perhaps AS/A-level English or History? Or if you are looking to take Law with a business slant - maybe Maths?

At many institutions (not just the very top ones) Law is a seriously competitive course. Infact, I have encountered a lot of evidence to suggest that some of the more middle-of-the-road institutions, can often have the higest numbers of applicants per place:

Oxford Brookes: 18 applicants for every place. (Higher than Manchester and nearly the same as Durham).

Westminster: 29:1

Central Lancashire: 36:1

Source: Brian Heap Degree Course Offers 2005
Reply 2
I agree,

It seems to get in to an even middle of the road uni to do a law based degree you need ABB, however talking to my fellow undergrads this year it seems admissions tutors can be flexible even on heaviliy oversubscribed courses if they see enthusiasm and committment. Another AS in a traditional subject would do a world of good and coupled with a good personal statement you might be looking good!

I did law AS for a taste of what the subject was like, but if you do study it try very hard to forget all you learn after the exam! otherwise you may harbour harmful preconceptions.

Good luck!
Reply 3
Thanks to you both.

Advice taken aboard!
i am doing a levels too.. gona go to uni hopefully next yr.. lookin forward to it.. But law is a competitive field and to get the best degree you need to start working hard from now so you get accepted to the place you wana read law. I am studying law at as might take it on to A2 but the problem wit doing that is that some universities prefer you not to have studied law.. however some do not really mind...
Reply 5
Tends to be that the top Universities object to you having studied law in A-level, tho that is not to say that every person having done law A-level has been rejected. TBH The subjects you take shoudlnt matter too much, provided that you dont take mickey mouse subjects and that you can get a good grade. They look for logic and reasoning skills in the interview (if there is one) or in the statement on UCAS or by any other means.

It is extremely competitive and you cant fully realise the extent of this fact until you actually go thro the whole process. Looking back, even tho I was warned.A LOT.. I was still completely oblivious to how hard it would be.
Reply 6
howdo :smile:

i have just finished my law degree at shef uni and am about to start my lpc. the best thing you could do if you want to enhance your application is voluntary work with a charity or group and/or work experience. It shows commitment to your choice of career and the voluntary work shows that there's more to you than academic interest. Seriously, from applying to law firms for training contracts, the one thing the places i apllied to are really hot on is your extra abilities. have a look at a law firm website which has an online application form to get an idea but the questions they ask you are things like: "what would you say is your greatest skill" "give a time when you worked with others to acieve a goal" etc etc.

Anys qs feel free to ask... hope that helped!

Vida :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending