The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ludd-sama
Dude, I think everyone can agree, the questions themselves weren't the issue. Some may have been more difficult than past papers, or C1 skills being implemented in new ways e.g. the discrimination question (although I've actually seen that question in a past paper, surprised a lot of people were shocked by it). But for the most part the concepts and questions themselves weren't unfair.

The issue is that, on top of using the C1 skills were being tested on, we also have to second guess every single answer or value we get because none of them were whole ****ing numbers, which can really mess with your confidence in an exam when everything you do just looks wrong. It leaves you in a bad mental state.

Let's be clear. Previous post made complaints that his/her C1 skills were not tested. My question/response argued directly with that point only.

My previous posts have alluded to the fractions-heavy nature of the paper.
I don't agree it was unfair because of the number of fractions calculations. The questions were very clear, with no ambiguity. It was a fair test of C1 and prior knowledge.

Let's see where the fractions were:
Q1. Integration: we expect to divide by new power, which leaves a fraction. One of the powers was a fraction: -1/2 meaning we need to divide by a half. No big deal.

Q3. Surds: we expect to rationalise a denominator. This was a very easy question to handle since the denominator was a factor of the numerator. No big deal.

Q5. Fractional results. I solved for x originally (I think most will have done same because it was easier) giving -1/3 and -1/7. Multiply each by -4 and then subtract 1. No big deal.

Q7. Fractional algebra in final 2 terms. Very straightforward divisions. Then multiply 3 terms by fractions and subtract one from fractional indices: 1/3 -> -2/3; 5/2 -> 3/2; and, -1/2 -> -3/2 . Not a big deal.

Q10. Line 1 has a gradient of 5/3, so its perpendicular is -3/5. Very simple.
Subst y=0 into line equation for Line 2 giving x intercept as 44/3. SImple.
I then found x-intercept of Line 1 to be -6/5, and found the required area of OPQR by (44/3 + 6/5) x 7/2 - 6/5 x 2 x 1/2. Dealing in 15ths and then simplifying was a couple of lines. Slightly more difficult than some, not as tricky as other previous, similar questions.

Q11. 41/8 x 4 , and then add/subtract a couple of terms. No big deal.

In total, 8 or 9 fractions, plus whatever you did on Q10. Some of the fractions were no more than times by 4. Biggest denominator (other than Q10) was 8. And you think it's reasonable to complain?

I'm really not sure about the fuss over these fractions. I get rather frustrated that students seem to spend more time/effort complaining about questions rather than learning from them. It's even more irritating when the complaints are mostly unfounded,
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by begbie68
Let's be clear. Previous post made complaints that his/her C1 skills were not tested. My question/response argued directly with that point only.

My previous posts have alluded to the fractions-heavy nature of the paper.
I don't agree it was unfair because of the number of fractions calculations. The questions were very clear, with no ambiguity. It was a fair test of C1 and prior knowledge.

Let's see where the fractions were:
Q1. Integration: we expect to divide by new power, which leaves a fraction. One of the powers was a fraction: -1/2 meaning we need to divide by a half. No big deal.

Q3. Surds: we expect to rationalise a denominator. This was a very easy question to handle since the denominator was a factor of the numerator. No big deal.

Q5. Fractional results. I solved for x originally (I think most will have done same because it was easier) giving -1/3 and -1/7. Multiply each by -4 and then subtract 1. No big deal.

Q7. Fractional algebra in final 2 terms. Very straightforward divisions. Then multiply 3 terms by fractions and subtract one from fractional indices: 1/3 -> -2/3; 5/2 -> 3/2; and, -1/2 -> -3/2 . Not a big deal.

Q10. Line 1 has a gradient of 5/3, so its perpendicular is -3/5. Very simple.
Subst y=0 into line equation for Line 2 giving x intercept as 44/3. SImple.
I then found x-intercept of Line 1 to be -6/5, and found the required area of OPQR by (44/3 + 6/5) x 7/2 - 6/5 x 2 x 1/2. Dealing in 15ths and then simplifying was a couple of lines. Slightly more difficult than some, not as tricky as other previous, similar questions.

Q11. 41/8 x 4 , and then add/subtract a couple of terms. No big deal.

In total, 8 or 9 fractions, plus whatever you did on Q10. Some of the fractions were no more than times by 4. Biggest denominator (other than Q10) was 8. And you think it's reasonable to complain?

I'm really not sure about the fuss over these fractions. I get rather frustrated that students seem to spend more time/effort complaining about questions rather than learning from them. It's even more irritating when the complaints are mostly unfounded,

Dude, whatever, you're being difficult for the sake of being difficult now.

If you can't understand the frustration of students who are upset with how well they did on an exam that (as far as they are concerned will effect the outcome of their lives), without having to point out every discrepancy in their complaints, then kudos to you.
Dude, whatever, you're being difficult for the sake of being difficult now.

If you can't understand the frustration of students who are upset with how well they did on an exam that (as far as they are concerned will effect the outcome of their lives), without having to point out every discrepancy in their complaints, then kudos to you.

I can understand how students can get upset about how well they fared on an exam.
That is one thing.
It is entirely a different matter to wrongly call a paper unfair in order to explain shortcomings in ability. Especially when the ability in question is how to deal with fractions.
You stated that every question involved fractions. I clearly showed that 6 questions only involved fractions. Over half of those were very simple fractions. Over half were questions where you expect fractions to appear. The fractions that did appear were simple, or in fact made the questions simpler than otherwise might have been.
I do not understand your position. Nor do I admit that I am the one being 'difficult' in this discussion. You have yet to make a valid, factual point.
I can understand how students can get upset about how well they fared on an exam.
That is one thing.
It is entirely a different matter to wrongly call a paper unfair in order to explain shortcomings in ability. Especially when the ability in question is how to deal with fractions.
You stated that every question involved fractions. I clearly showed that 6 questions only involved fractions. Over half of those were very simple fractions. Over half were questions where you expect fractions to appear. The fractions that did appear were simple, or in fact made the questions simpler than otherwise might have been.
I do not understand your position. Nor do I admit that I am the one being 'difficult' in this discussion. You have yet to make a valid, factual point.

If you read what I said, you'll see I never called the paper unfair, in fact I said the opposite. The presence of multiple difficult fractions were my only issue, they weren't impossible, it was simply another mental thing to deal with which wasn't good for the exam mind state.

I'm not arguing with the points you made because objectively speaking they are valid, obviously I was exaggerating when I said every question was a fraction (an appropriate exaggeration, but an exaggeration none the less). I didn't even have a a big issue with the paper, as after looking at the model answers I feel I did well.

My only point is, coming into a forum which students are using to vent their frustrations straight after an exam, to tell said students that they shouldn't be venting or complaining and the paper wasn't hard, as well as expressing dissapointment in the students for ventingisn't exactly helpful. I don't know if you're a student or not but if you put yourselves in their shoes (the shoes of a student who felt they didn't do well), you can see where I'm coming from.

Like I said, your feedback on the exam isn't wrong, yours would probably be better than mine, I just don't think it's very emotionally constructive or thoughtful.
I have a PhD in Statistics and I am a maths teacher.

I sat the paper with the students under exam condition.

Though I finished the paper about 20 minutes before the exam.

I do feel what the students are saying: numbers are really not nice!
Original post by Arsey
Here are my solutions.

I thought it was a reasonable paper, expect standard boundaries.

Some of the fractions were a little odd. I think 8a will cause a lot of problems.

I would guess at 62-63 for an A and 55-56 for a B.

could u do one for c12 IAL?
Original post by Arsey
Here are my solutions.

Some of the fractions were a little odd. I think 8a will cause a lot of problems.

the majority found it very hard probably the hardest paper in years so why such high grade boundaries do u guess as wud have thought theyd be lower
Original post by MobiDo
Probably just lose one answer mark if you did everything else right

It was only 2 marks so I don't think so.
Reply 228
@arsey no fp2 or s2 this year 😩😩 please arsey we depend on you for a relaxed summer
If you read what I said, you'll see I never called the paper unfair, in fact I said the opposite. The presence of multiple difficult fractions were my only issue, they weren't impossible, it was simply another mental thing to deal with which wasn't good for the exam mind state.

I'm not arguing with the points you made because objectively speaking they are valid, obviously I was exaggerating when I said every question was a fraction (an appropriate exaggeration, but an exaggeration none the less). I didn't even have a a big issue with the paper, as after looking at the model answers I feel I did well.

My only point is, coming into a forum which students are using to vent their frustrations straight after an exam, to tell said students that they shouldn't be venting or complaining and the paper wasn't hard, as well as expressing dissapointment in the students for ventingisn't exactly helpful. I don't know if you're a student or not but if you put yourselves in their shoes (the shoes of a student who felt they didn't do well), you can see where I'm coming from.

Like I said, your feedback on the exam isn't wrong, yours would probably be better than mine, I just don't think it's very emotionally constructive or thoughtful.

Hi, Ludd
Thanks for your clarity and explanation.
Hope all goes well for you in your exams.
Hi, Ludd
Thanks for your clarity and explanation.
Hope all goes well for you in your exams.

appreciated Begbie, apologies if I came off as hostile.
Reply 231
Original post by adris
@arsey no fp2 or s2 this year 😩😩 please arsey we depend on you for a relaxed summer

I will see, I haven't looked at FP2 since the exam last year.
Reply 232
Original post by youreanutter
the majority found it very hard probably the hardest paper in years so why such high grade boundaries do u guess as wud have thought theyd be lower

It really wasn't that hard at all. Every year we get comments, that was the hardest paper ever, in the vast majority of cases it really isn't true, it is about perception and the conditions papers were taken under.

The complaints concerning that the answers were not nice whole numbers are not valid. I understand why this would make students question their answers but they really should not expect that all answers are nice whole numbers.
Original post by LukeB98
Perhaps not as bad as initially thought but I definitely think it was worse than last year's paper.

For the area question I gave a few solutions, the last attempt I did get 163/3 but I didn't cross the others out and I'm wondering the marking policy regarding this? The other attempts were incorrect.

I don't know if this has been answered for you or not - but the policy is that all NON crossed out attempts are marked separately and the highest scoring method is the one that is counted.
Original post by Arsey
Here are my solutions.

Thank you so much! I think to play it safe I got 67/75!! Will you do FP1 solutions as well? Please help us out as it was very difficult:frown:
I am thinking the same thing! Fingers crossed for 90 UMS !! Hope the grade boundaries will be lower cause I think I only got 67:frown:
Original post by ilovetacobell
Thank you so much! I think to play it safe I got 67/75!! Will you do FP1 solutions as well? Please help us out as it was very difficult:frown:

I think he is. Just did the FP1 and thought it was difficult in some areas.
Reply 237
@arsey I would be highly appreciative if you could please your the only guy that knows his stuff that well
Original post by ilovetacobell
I am thinking the same thing! Fingers crossed for 90 UMS !! Hope the grade boundaries will be lower cause I think I only got 67:frown:

Same I Got 65-68ish
Reply 239
Same I Got 65-68ish

90 ums would be 68-69

Latest

Trending

Trending