The Student Room Group

Story I'm writing

Hi

I need some help. I'm writing a story on the perspective of a pen set in the 1800s from the industrial revolution. How the pen goes from one person to another. I didn't know where the best place to post it would be, so I just chose the 'study help'. Any suggestions on how I could make it work as a lengthy book? Would it interest you?
Original post by khana123
Hi

I need some help. I'm writing a story on the perspective of a pen set in the 1800s from the industrial revolution. How the pen goes from one person to another. I didn't know where the best place to post it would be, so I just chose the 'study help'. Any suggestions on how I could make it work as a lengthy book? Would it interest you?

Yeah, I love learning about history so this sounds really interesting :smile: I'm not an expert on writing but you could do 1 or 2-3 chapters on one person that uses the pen and then it gets given away or lost then found by someone else then another 1/2-3 chapters on the new person, and so on? A pretty cool ending could be it being burnt at a waste plant or something (sorry if it seems like I'm writing it for you, just in case you're stuck). And I don't know if you want to publish it or not, but if you did and if you didn't know Amazon lets you self-publish!

Good luck with the story, I'm sure it'll do great. It's a really original idea :biggrin:
Reply 2
Hi

It sounds like a great idea! What you will need to be careful of is making sure that it is made very clear who has the pen...changing characters a lot can be very effective if it is done well, but it can also be very confusing! I think that description will be key in this, but don't describe the obvious....what I mean is, some people describe hair colour and eye colour and exact height in their writing, but what I find is that it is much more effective if you have a vague description of them, so the reader can interpret it in their own way...that's my opinion anyway. But yes, it sounds like a great idea, and I've never read anything like that before! Let me know when you're finished, and if you need any critiques/help then feel free to send it my way :smile: Good luck!!
Reply 3
Thank you folks and to all a goodnight. Yup.....will do.

I had no idea amazon would let you self publish. Everything seems to cost money these days. My social life is non existent because of that very reason. Sad truth. Hence my creative pursuits. I have a highly developed overactive imagination
Reply 4
Original post by alicebrr
It sounds like a great idea! What you will need to be careful of is making sure that it is made very clear who has the pen...changing characters a lot can be very effective if it is done well, but it can also be very confusing! I think that description will be key in this, but don't describe the obvious....what I mean is, some people describe hair colour and eye colour and exact height in their writing, but what I find is that it is much more effective if you have a vague description of them, so the reader can interpret it in their own way...that's my opinion anyway. But yes, it sounds like a great idea, and I've never read anything like that before! Let me know when you're finished, and if you need any critiques/help then feel free to send it my way :smile: Good luck!!

Could I ask anyone here about how long it takes for someone to become a writer? As in....good quality writing? Full time? This story about the pen....i'm thinking of putting it on the back burner and maybe going with my other story. Its a simplistic idea about a guy who realises he has powers- he can enter a photograph and then another world. He has to get a relic from another time and restore it to a museum before dark forces get to it. He has to survive in the world. He has to get the relic to make up for his fathers mistake, his father being trapped in a comatic state ina boxed prison room. I'd rather go to a simplistic idea and fluff that up first, develop its skeleton before working on this. Ideas on how I can make it more positive. At the moment, there's too much darkness in the theme. I need a saviour or a character that brings some help to the main protagonist in the story, who is in another world. By himself.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Could I ask anyone here about how long it takes for someone to become a writer? As in....good quality writing? Full time? This story about the pen....i'm thinking of putting it on the back burner and maybe going with my other story. Its a simplistic idea about a guy who realises he has powers- he can enter a photograph and then another world. He has to get a relic from another time and restore it to a museum before dark forces get to it. He has to survive in the world. He has to get the relic to make up for his fathers mistake, his father being trapped in a comatic state ina boxed prison room. I'd rather go to a simplistic idea and fluff that up first, develop its skeleton before working on this. Ideas on how I can make it more positive. At the moment, there's too much darkness in the theme. I need a saviour or a character that brings some help to the main protagonist in the story, who is in another world. By himself.

Personally, it took me ages to be able to write like I do now, and even now it isn't 100%, it never will be. The only way you can be a great writer is to know how to be a great writer and put it into practice. And write. A lot. I did loads of research and everyone said the same thing, there is no such thing as being a good writer, because you constantly criticise your own work. But what you can be is happy with your work. I have been writing since I was really young, like since I was 7. 10 years on and I have only just come a position in a competition. I think that is proof enough that perseverance is key. You need to be able to read a piece that you have written and edit it, make it better, notice things that can be made better. That's the key, I believe anyway.

As for the actual piece, go with what you feel suitable for starters. To lighten the story up a bit, how about going into detail about what his life was like before? Not too much detail that we get bored, but enough so that we can see a difference. You could include some sort of relationship...not necessarily a romantic relationship, perhaps with a friend or a family member? That would also bring something more to it. You don't want too many characters either, I find it very hard to write because of keeping tract of each character and so does the reader.

Finally, I just remembered, to be a good writer, you need to be able to take notes and make something of them. If you see something or hear something that you would like to put into words, write it down for future reference. I read over mine and then add relevant parts in when I can. It's also interesting to see when or where you get the most ideas/inspiration.

I hope this helps. Like I said, this is just my opinion. I generally start with background detail/character introductions... Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending