The Student Room Group

What Do I Do With my Life

I really am stuck with what to do in life. I want to pursue music and the only thing in music I want to do is to be in a band. I really don't want to go to college though as I can't seem to pick up another option and I don't think a music course suits me as I would need to pick up another instrument and sound production does not suit me at all.

At work I have recently been told I can train up to be a supervisor and I've already started training for this which at 17 is obviously very young to be in a management position. I was thinking I could do this full time possibly as a few people are leaving soon and I could ask for their hours. I have a couple of friends as well that want to be in a band and I could do this in evenings after my work and I can use it in general to build up money and could take a course at college the following year where I have more time to make up my mind. Is this a good idea as I don't mind my job that much.
Reply 1
College isn't for everyone and it's ok if you don't want to go. If you're happy at work there's no harm in staying especially as there's progression opportunities for you. You should definitely pursue the band angle too seeing as it's your passion. You can always go back to college if you decide you would like to study but there's no harm in taking a year out and exploring your options. If you do start a band maybe create a YouTube page and upload videos in order to get recognition.
Reply 2
Original post by aarora
College isn't for everyone and it's ok if you don't want to go. If you're happy at work there's no harm in staying especially as there's progression opportunities for you. You should definitely pursue the band angle too seeing as it's your passion. You can always go back to college if you decide you would like to study but there's no harm in taking a year out and exploring your options. If you do start a band maybe create a YouTube page and upload videos in order to get recognition.

Thanks, a lot of people seem to look down on my job since it's just at a food store and think I should pi k a course even if I don't like the idea of it. Good to see someone else thinks it would work. Definitely would allow me to be in a band as well. Thanks for all your help.
Reply 3
Original post by oZombiex2
Thanks, a lot of people seem to look down on my job since it's just at a food store and think I should pi k a course even if I don't like the idea of it. Good to see someone else thinks it would work. Definitely would allow me to be in a band as well. Thanks for all your help.

Not having a set career plan gives you the freedom to explore different options. You can still pursue music while you're working. If college is something you want to do then do it! If you're reluctant and feel you won't do well then maybe it isn't for you.

If you want some reassuring about your career, read this: http://www.allaboutcareers.com/careers-advice/looking-for-a-job/i-don-t-know-what-career-i-want

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending