The Student Room Group

Who are more oppressed in modern western society? Men or women?

Scroll to see replies

Roadmen
Original post by Jd_uk
Ugh..what a snobbish, 'I am better than you' type of response.

Also, having scanned your responses, they are deeply flawed in that you can't base an argument about the whole of society on how many heads/executives are male. Very few people in society are heads or executives.

Apex Fallacy.
Reply 42
Original post by bethwalker85
Did you not read my first sentence? Women weren't allowed in the war. Not allowed e.g couldn't go e.g had no choice.

Just like the men who had no choice but to be drafted in the war. But, the difference was that women actually wanted to help in the war but weren't allowed whereas men had all the rights in the world to go fight, but weren't allowed to say no.

They were both oppressed in some ways, but saying that WW1 or WW2 shows oppression to just one gender is silly because both parties didn't really have a choice in what they did.

I'm sure there were some women who wanted to fight. I'm also sure there were many, many women who were relieved that they could stay at home and help out in a less fatal way.

Yes it is a bit silly to talk about the past when considering the present but then feminists love to talk about how opressed women were in the past while even then they their own advantages.

My feeling is that modern feminism has gone way beyond being reasonable. Feminists keep quiet about all the areas they do have advantages and yet rant and rave louder than anyone if they suspect they may be disadvantaged at all based on their gender. The irony is that deep down I think many women these days would have also been happier 50 years ago where women could just be women and men could be men. How many times have I heard women complain that men today aren't like they used to be... wonder who'a fault that is.
Reply 43
Original post by caravaggio2
Apex Fallacy.

I had to Google that term as I hadn't heard it before, but yes, exactly. Her argument was just a gross oversimplification. The annoying thing is that I think she knows it too. Most feminists don't want equality, they want to get ahead based on their gender.
Original post by 2016_GCSE
Men get longer prison sentences for the same crimes that a women could do.

This is highly unfair, as gender should not play in to this matter.

And now you have the movement to have women prisoners removed from prisons... because apparently female criminals are the 'real victims'..... :facepalm:

Original post by Jd_uk
I'm sure there were some women who wanted to fight. I'm also sure there were many, many women who were relieved that they could stay at home and help out in a less fatal way.

Yes it is a bit silly to talk about the past when considering the present but then feminists love to talk about how opressed women were in the past while even then they their own advantages.

My feeling is that modern feminism has gone way beyond being reasonable. Feminists keep quiet about all the areas they do have advantages and yet rant and rave louder than anyone if they suspect they may be disadvantaged at all based on their gender. The irony is that deep down I think many women these days would have also been happier 50 years ago where women could just be women and men could be men. How many times have I heard women complain that men today aren't like they used to be... wonder who'a fault that is.

All you have left is the white feather movement and the appropriation of the suffragettes by modern feminism. Many of the suffragette leadership were extremely racist, bigoted and extremely anti feminist in themselves. The white feather movement once the horrors of ww1 were realised actually backfired on the suffragettes PR quite drastically.

They were annoyed that disabled and coloured men could vote while they could not, there's even a fairly easy poster to find regarding this. Then there is the arrogance concerning around the issues surrounding how voting rights were construct in the first place. Most people don't realise the reasons that both poor men and women didn't get the vote was for extremely similar reasons.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Wōden
actly. Just think of all those poor women who were forced to fight and die in the trenches during WW1, whilst all the men were allowed to stay at home and raise their families and...... oh wait.

Yes fighting against who ? Oh yes other MEN. Men are violent evil egomaniac creatures that start wars.
Original post by Sarahsez
Yes fighting against who ? Oh yes other MEN. Men are violent evil egomaniac creatures that start wars.

Well that escalated quickly"
Surprised it took this long to be honest.
So that's all men then yes,?
Reply 47

What nonsense. Women are equally as likely to start wars:

-Queen Elizabeth I: The invasion of Le Havre in 1562–1563 and even after the Treaty of Hampton Court was signed she refused to withdraw her troops.

-Wu Zetian: Arguably the most powerful Empress on the planet at the time. Was known for her expansion of Chinese territory.

-Helen of Troy: Her whole kidnapping caused the Trojan War.

-Catherine the Great: Again, expansion of the Russian Empire.

-Mary Tudor: Caused a lot of tensions between Catholicism and Protestantism.

-The Trung Sisters.

I think you get my point.

You can say that any women in leadership was guilty of starting wars in history and it's the same for men.

Sources: Wikipedia and Reddit.
(edited 7 years ago)
Both are. I'd say women more so though.
Original post by Jd_uk
Damn those awful men putting their lives on the line and protecting their women. Work in shops and factories or dodge bullets for as long as you can stay alive...

Damn those awful women who were burned at the stake as witches stoned to death in afghanistan denied education not being able to vote own property enter legal contracts start their own businesses choose other jobs than nuns nurses teachers legally denied jobs for being pregnant legally deemed the rightful P R O P E R T Y of men not being able to go to university not being legally able to become head of state not being able to enter bars walk alone in public without a man present not being legally ABLE (and that's a... good thing??? somehow???) to serve in military choose their own religion receive academic scholarships use birth control say yes to sex say no to sex be able to wear what they want get tattoos get abortions choose whether they want children or not march in protest choose where they live have rape be illegal despite whether its your husband or not as late as 1990 in ireland have sexual harassment be illegal and socially unacceptable be able to become ceos lawyers doctors get divorces continue working when they're married AND SO ON AND SO ON.

i'm not a feminist, but don't you dare bring up history as an example as to why "men are oppressed". you're embarrassing yourself.
oh, and furthermore, neither sex is oppressed. both face cultural and social gender inequality, but if you seriously believe that men OR women for that matter face genuine oppression similarly to minorities in the united states, then you have absolutely no idea what oppression looks like.
Reply 50
Original post by elizah
Damn those awful women who were burned at the stake as witches stoned to death in afghanistan denied education not being able to vote own property enter legal contracts start their own businesses choose other jobs than nuns nurses teachers legally denied jobs for being pregnant legally deemed the rightful P R O P E R T Y of men not being able to go to university not being legally able to become head of state not being able to enter bars walk alone in public without a man present not being legally ABLE (and that's a... good thing??? somehow???) to serve in military choose their own religion receive academic scholarships use birth control say yes to sex say no to sex be able to wear what they want get tattoos get abortions choose whether they want children or not march in protest choose where they live have rape be illegal despite whether its your husband or not as late as 1990 in ireland have sexual harassment be illegal and socially unacceptable be able to become ceos lawyers doctors get divorces continue working when they're married AND SO ON AND SO ON.

i'm not a feminist, but don't you dare bring up history as an example as to why "men are oppressed". you're embarrassing yourself.
oh, and furthermore, neither sex is oppressed. both face cultural and social gender inequality, but if you seriously believe that men OR women for that matter face genuine oppression similarly to minorities in the united states, then you have absolutely no idea what oppression looks like.

I'm pretty sure that the OP said WESTERN SOCIETY.
Also, why are you talking about the 1990s. You said don't bring up history but you have done it yourself!
Reply 51
Just gonna leave this here.....1. Men are most likely to suffer from violent crime.

2. Men are most likely to become homeless.

3. Only 8% of domestic violence services are designed specifically for men

4. There are a grand total of 0 male only gyms officially registered.

5. The education system is linear not modular, a system that favours women

6. Men are now at a 2:1 disadvantage when looking for work in STEM fields.

7. More than 50% of degrees in 2013 were gained by women

8. In most divorce cases men are made to pay ridiculous sums.
Original post by Jd_uk

Yes it is a bit silly to talk about the past when considering the present but then feminists love to talk about how oppressed women were in the past while even then they their own advantages.

Ha! And how many times have I heard men say "go back to the kitchen and make me a sandwich"
Reply 53
Original post by bethwalker85
Ha! And how many times have I heard men say "go back to the kitchen and make me a sandwich"

Probably not many, but you say you do because you don't want to lose the argument.
Original post by IAmNero
I'm pretty sure that the OP said WESTERN SOCIETY.
Also, why are you talking about the 1990s. You said don't bring up history but you have done it yourself!

i'm bringing up history because he brought up history as an example as to why men are oppressed. i explained that that is absolutely not the case and history is a weak if not non-existant argument, because of the fact that women have been continually oppressed for hundreds and hundreds of years.
all of this has happened in western societies and still goes on in many parts of the world.
Reply 55
Original post by elizah
i'm bringing up history because he brought up history as an example as to why men are oppressed. i explained that that is absolutely not the case and history is a weak if not non-existant argument, because of the fact that women have been continually oppressed for hundreds and hundreds of years.
all of this has happened in western societies and still goes on in many parts of the world.

Guess who made up most of the slaves in history *hint hint* It's men.
People seem to spend more time arguing about which sector of society is more oppressed than they do actually solving any issues.

I can't remember the last time I started so much as a fist fight, never mind a war....

Did you get rejected by a dude or is your beta chump of a bf not pleasuring you enough? so much animosity towards the other gender
Original post by IAmNero
Probably not many, but you say you do because you don't want to lose the argument.

Yet someone claimed women are saying "men aren't like they used to be" yet as a woman with lots of women friends, I've never heard anyone say that.

My point was valid. Men want women to be like they were in the 50's, bearing their children and staying at home cooking them meals.

I have had men tell me I was intimidating because I'm a career woman with no aspirations for a family at the moment. Men don't want women with no goals, but don't want their goals to mean they can't drop everything when they have a baby.

Now, I definitely don't want a man with those views, so I definitely don't want a man "like they used to make them".
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lujubi
What nonsense. Women are equally as likely to start wars:

-Helen of Troy: Her whole kidnapping caused the Trojan War.

I think it's quite telling that one of your examples of women having started wars is a mythological figure. Besides which, you apparently bizarrely regard her kidnapping causing a war as somehow making the war her fault?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending