The Student Room Group

OCR Latin GCSE Official Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

For questions that did not say refer to the Latin, I did not mention the Latin once and treated it like a comprehension question, this is correct right? I don't wanna drop marks for not referring to Latin
Original post by TeenPolyglot
I personally adored the paper;

It did help that I had a load of sixth formers with whom I was talking, and they tested me on reciting the whole of Passage 4 :biggrin:

Somehow though, I still got the translation miles off!

With the poppy question, it was due to the fact that the question was worded unusually, but I'm hoping for at least 2/4, considering I misread the passage at first.

I also quite liked the ten marker- I felt there was a fair bit to write about :biggrin:

yeah, the 10 marker was very nice:

My broad points were:
1)How near they were to escaping and the betrayal of the helmet,
2)The intensity of the encounter with Volcens
3)Their reaction to Volcens' shout

Under each one, my specific points were as follows:

1) Helmet is personified, accusatory word "prodidit", they are only seen by chance far off "limite", their close shave, they could so easily have escaped. The litotes of "it was not seen to no avail" reinforces their misfortune.

2) The imperative "state!", the suddenness of speech, the use of "conclamat" rather than "Clamat" is expressive, the use of quick and sharp questions which are framed by three "Q" question words.

3) They speed up their escape, making it like a race as they are fleeing; they trust in the nighttime, which is something they cant control, showing how their fate is no longer in their hand, which is ominous; hinc atque hinc shows how tehy are enclose, just like the hinc is repeated and encloses the other word; the final sentence has enclosing order, showing how they are trapped; repetition of hinc shows they are trapped on all sides, no matter where they look.

What about all of you?

8 marker was also nice
Original post by Pepsi Cola :)
Do you mean miles off as in they will be higher or lower than the ones you have predicted?! I hope lower :colondollar: Lol of course :tongue:

Personally my predictions would be:

A*=40
A=33
B=28
C=23

Easier than normal - I'm aiming for about 45.
I really could not think of 4 points!

Then again, I did misread the question at first...

I feel you!! I could only see 2:s-smilie:
Original post by daisy.spillane
I feel you!! I could only see 2:s-smilie:

4 points was most likely pushing it quite far, I would expect them to be rather lenient.
Original post by GCSEsenit
For questions that did not say refer to the Latin, I did not mention the Latin once and treated it like a comprehension question, this is correct right? I don't wanna drop marks for not referring to Latin

You do not need to, no. In the eight marker you do not need to refer to the latin, however all relevant points which refer to the latin will be rewarded.
Original post by pinksplodge
Thought the 8 and 10 marks were quite good but the 6 mark (3 bullet points) and those questions about the Trojan man and Greek girl were quite difficult...

how many and what points did you make for the 8 marker> x
Original post by Martins1
yeah, the 10 marker was very nice:

My broad points were:
1)How near they were to escaping and the betrayal of the helmet,
2)The intensity of the encounter with Volcens
3)Their reaction to Volcens' shout

Under each one, my specific points were as follows:

1) Helmet is personified, accusatory word "prodidit", they are only seen by chance far off "limite", their close shave, they could so easily have escaped. The litotes of "it was not seen to no avail" reinforces their misfortune.

2) The imperative "state!", the suddenness of speech, the use of "conclamat" rather than "Clamat" is expressive, the use of quick and sharp questions which are framed by three "Q" question words.

3) They speed up their escape, making it like a race as they are fleeing; they trust in the nighttime, which is something they cant control, showing how their fate is no longer in their hand, which is ominous; hinc atque hinc shows how tehy are enclose, just like the hinc is repeated and encloses the other word; the final sentence has enclosing order, showing how they are trapped; repetition of hinc shows they are trapped on all sides, no matter where they look.

What about all of you?

8 marker was also nice

In this structure:

My broad points were:
1) The description of Euryalus' helmet in depth, and the vulnerability this placed him in.
2) The description of Volcens' shouts.
3) How Nisus and Euryalus' reactions reflected off of the situation.

1) I said about:
-The use of "procul" [which I thought meant 'suddenly'; oops]. But I said that this could show how the legion were keeping an eye on them, and they were the main targets.
-'et galea...'. By separating the description of Euryalus in a second clause from Virgil's clause about the legion, it shows how the attention is now on Euryalus in the sentence as is the troops'.
- 'prodidit'. By using personification to talk about the helmet, Virgil is talking about the helmet's effect on him, greater than his own consciousness, which reflects [get it? Because the helmet reflects the rays...no? :colondollar:] off of the reason for which he is so vulnerable.
-'haud temere est visum'. By using an almost anecdotal sentence, Virgil is showing a level of sympathy for Euryalus, but is speeding up the pace of the passage, which is symbolic of how the situation is sped up as they start panicking (or something). I also referenced how the 'visum' could be almost satirical; it references both to the legion seeing Euryalus and his helmet, but potentially makes it quite a humorous aspect to the passage.

2) (Yeah...I wrote a lot...)
-By using Volcens directly, and not using indirect speech, Virgil is showing the authoritarian aspect of Volcens, as well as giving more 'evidence' for the death of Euryalus later, and why Euryalus has become so vulnerable.
-"State"- This slows down the pace of the sentence through the assonance of "t"- a hard laminal denti-alveolar- and hence relates to the word in itself, as well as being phonological, and slowing down the situation, backed up by indeed the usage of the direct speech.
-"Quae causa...tenetis iter". The use of a triadic and somewhat asyndetic list of questions from Volcens enhances further how much the situation has slowed down, but contrasts this through the asyndetic aspect; the constant "firing" of questions means the reader has to stop repeatedly, which reflects directly off of the situation and the authoritarian entrapment by Volcens.

3)
-"Nihil". By offering "nihil" reply, this emphasises the panic of Euryalus and Nisus after Euryalus has made them so vulnerable. This potentially gives reasoning for their "fidere" [trust] in the night, as they have lost trust in themselves.
-"celerare"- shortly after the direct speech of Volcens, Virgil has shifted to the indirect statement through usage of the infinitive to show a potential element of confusion, as with N and E.

That's it...
Original post by dance25

There is no set number of points you have to make. Three half a page paragraphs and an intro and conclusion in addition is ideal for me.

I did three broad paragraphs, one for NIsus, one for Euryalus and one for bad luck.

Nisus - His fault because: He came up with the idea, he urged Euryalus to do it, he abandoned guard post and they would not be in any danger if not for him. However, on the other side, he came up with a good plan which could have worked and he stuck to it and carried it out well.

Euryalus - His fault because: He deviated from the plan, he betrayed them by wearing helmet - he both forgot to take it off and was greedy enough to take it and put it on. He was also the one who was captured, and Nisus would have got away had it not been for him. However, he was just following his potential lover and superior and was just following what were basically orders.

Bad luck - Volcens was in the right place and time which was unlucky, the fact that they were caught in the forest was unlucky and the fact that the moon would be out on a non-cloudy night was unfortunate.

As a conclusion i said that although nisus was partly to blame, as was bad luck, more of the blame lay on euryalus as he caused the mission to fail ultimately.
In this structure:

[Cut to keep it small]

Nice, probably a nine or ten there.Although i disagree with state slowing down the sentence - the use of imperatives and four quick and snappy questions definitely adds pace to this, making it seem more intense.

Imagine that Volcens quickly barks off three questions after a quick command - intense and quick, not slow.

Oh and I'm not sure that visem was meant to be satirical - humour only relieves tension or dramatic effect, does not build it.
(edited 7 years ago)
4 points was most likely pushing it quite far, I would expect them to be rather lenient.

They're probably using that as their "this is what separated the more able students" question; they have one every year.

But yeah, chances are you were repeating yourself.
It couldn't be done without repeating yourself really.
They're probably using that as their "this is what separated the more able students" question; they have one every year.

But yeah, chances are you were repeating yourself.
It couldn't be done without repeating yourself really.

Normally the 6, 10 and 8 markers are used to separate the good and best students. I personally think it was just a bad question - closely related answers have to be accepted because there weren't too many. Either way I reckon i got two or three on that question. Which prose did you do?
Normally the 6, 10 and 8 markers are used to separate the good and best students. I personally think it was just a bad question - closely related answers have to be accepted because there weren't too many. Either way I reckon i got two or three on that question. Which prose did you do?

Pliny.

I personally didn't like the paper, perhaps for the sole reason that I hadn't studied the death in much detail, so was generally lost on the translation- as was I with N and E- and I didn't know what to say in the 10 marker, so that probably brought my grade down.
Original post by dance25

I made around 4 points - first I quoted and translated the Latin that showed the men hunting. I then explained it to link it back to the question. Then I wrote about the men choosing the women that they want (thus the women are inferior) and so on...
Hope this helps!

You don't need Latin for the 8 markers so this should be ok:smile:
Pliny.

I personally didn't like the paper, perhaps for the sole reason that I hadn't studied the death in much detail, so was generally lost on the translation- as was I with N and E- and I didn't know what to say in the 10 marker, so that probably brought my grade down.

Fair enough - I personally loved it, but I had studied them all quite thoroughly so I guess that is to be expected.

Thought i would add the translation parts for the verse paper. I can add the Pliny one if you remind me which bit it was.

Verse, Virgil:
The band of enemies gathered around him harassed him from all sides close up. He pressed on no less, circling his sword like a lightning bolt, he plunged it into the face of the yelling Rutulian and dying, stole away his enemy's life spirit too.

That was my translation, however there are a very wide range of them.
Fair enough - I personally loved it, but I had studied them all quite thoroughly so I guess that is to be expected.

Thought i would add the translation parts for the verse paper. I can add the Pliny one if you remind me which bit it was.

Verse, Virgil:
The band of enemies gathered around him harassed him from all sides close up. He pressed on no less, circling his sword like a lightning bolt, he plunged it into the face of the yelling Rutulian and dying, stole away his enemy's life spirit too.

That was my translation, however there are a very wide range of them.

Well I was miles off! But that's only 5 marks at the end of the day.

And I think the Pliny one was part of his death, but I can't remember which...

They always add the translations that I don't know.
It's annoyingus.

This is exactly what I did too I really don't think you need to add the latin if it doesn't say so in the question.
'The band of enemies gathered around him harassed him from all sides close up. He pressed on no less, circling his sword like a lightning bolt, he plunged it into the face of the yelling Rutulian and dying, stole away his enemy's life spirit too.'
Not sure about the second half of this translation. My first bit matches yours enough, but after the lightning bolt/flashing of his sword, there was a 'donec' meaning 'until', he buried it/plunged it into the OPPOSITE mouth/face of the shouting/yelling Rutulian, and dying, he robbed his enemy of life/stole the life of his enemy (life and spirit are both being translated from animam in yours, but are probably a harmless addition). However, I'm certain you need until and opposite in your translation
Original post by Jesusismyhigh
'The band of enemies gathered around him harassed him from all sides close up. He pressed on no less, circling his sword like a lightning bolt, he plunged it into the face of the yelling Rutulian and dying, stole away his enemy's life spirit too.'
Not sure about the second half of this translation. My first bit matches yours enough, but after the lightning bolt/flashing of his sword, there was a 'donec' meaning 'until', he buried it/plunged it into the OPPOSITE mouth/face of the shouting/yelling Rutulian, and dying, he robbed his enemy of life/stole the life of his enemy (life and spirit are both being translated from animam in yours, but are probably a harmless addition). However, I'm certain you need until and opposite in your translation

Probably will only have lost one mark - many translations have translated the until differently or leave it out. But i did miss out the opposite.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending