The Student Room Group

OCR Latin GCSE Official Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

What did everything get for the gerundive with the slaves, I got something like, "they overwhelmed the few slaves easily, who had been left behind for the purpose of saving the mistress"
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by UmbralArbiter
What did you write instead?

I wounded myself here..... don't judge ......honestly don't know what I was thinking - serious moment of madness....
Reply 42
Original post by 123Master321
What did everything get for the gerundive with the slaves, I got something like, "they overwhelmed the few slaves easily, having been left behind for the purpose of saving the mistress"

I put "They easily crushed a few slaves, who had been left behind to save the mistress" - but this was the other bit I wasn't sure about...
yh i edited the above post, i definitely put had been left behind
Original post by fuzz13
I wounded myself here..... don't judge ......honestly don't know what I was thinking - serious moment of madness....

I think that would be classed as a 'major mistake', so you would lose 1 mark; it could be a minor mistake though (in which case you wouldn't lose any, assuming you had no other mistakes in that sentence/section)
Original post by fuzz13
I put "They easily crushed a few slaves, who had been left behind to save the mistress" - but this was the other bit I wasn't sure about...

That's what I put, I think (I used protect instead of save as their equivocal in this context)
Reply 46
Original post by UmbralArbiter
I think that would be classed as a 'major mistake', so you would lose 1 mark; it could be a minor mistake though (in which case you wouldn't lose any, assuming you had no other mistakes in that sentence/section)

Really!! Thanks I was worried that it would be more! I'm hoping that's the only thing I got wrong :smile:
If you forgot the superlative on plurimi, is that major or minor?
What did everyone put for the comprehension question about "consilium eorum peteret"? I found everything else relatively easy but I think I messed that question up
Original post by zoezoe123

It's usually a minor error (see the January 2011 mark scheme).

Definitely tougher than what I thought was a very simple Paper 1 (after last year's crazy pronoun questions I'm not hugely surprised). What a great story, though - I'm so fed up of military unseens that it's a pleasure to see some Neronian skullduggery.
Original post by zoezoe123

Minor (Assuming it was in the translation, I've forgotten already... :tongue:)
Original post by PlinyTheElder
What did everyone put for the comprehension question about "consilium eorum peteret"? I found everything else relatively easy but I think I messed that question up

This should be "sought their advice". Including this is designed to check you've learnt more meanings of "consilium" than just "plan".
Original post by PlinyTheElder

I can't remember the context, but it's something along the lines of "sought their advice" (purely from the excerpt stated)
I put left instead of left behind- minor error do you think?
for the sentence in the translation where the slaves are left to guard the mistress or something, I put house instead of mistress as I misread it.

REALLY annoyed with myself :angry: its such a careless mistake, and I dont think I got anything else wrong. would i lose just one mark?
Also, was there Two or One Astrologer(s)?

No chance conspectus can't mean "sustained"? The sword scene can't mean "sword bearing"? : ((((((
Original post by BluWacky
It's usually a minor error (see the January 2011 mark scheme).

Definitely tougher than what I thought was a very simple Paper 1 (after last year's crazy pronoun questions I'm not hugely surprised). What a great story, though - I'm so fed up of military unseens that it's a pleasure to see some Neronian skullduggery.

Thanks, thought both papers had good stories actually, but big jump between the papers definitely
Thanks. I put "he asked for their plan" so I presume that means I lose the mark?
Original post by DrSebWilkes

"astrologorum" is genitive plural - so there were definitely more than one.

No chance conspectus can't mean "sustained"? The sword scene can't mean "sword bearing"? : ((((((

The word was "confecta". It depends how you translated it. Did you put "having sustained very many wounds"? If so then I suppose there's a chance it could be a minor error, although it doesn't really get the sense that she was, literally, finished off by them...

As for "bearing a sword" it's an understandable mistake - after all, tollo's principal parts include sustuli and sublatum, simialr to fero's - but I don't know how strict the examiners will be. Will they even allow "drawing his sword", or is that too far away from the Latin? Guess we'll have to find out in due course.
Original post by DrSebWilkes

There were multiple astrologers as "-orum" is the second declension genitive plural ending.

As for the "sword scene", it went something along the lines of: 'As soon as she saw <forgot his name> raising a sword, she understood why he had come.' (That isn't quite what I put because I can't remember the original Latin)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending