The Student Room Group

Extenuating circumstances?

Exams are a couple of weeks away and I've been ill for about 3 weeks. I have intense bouts of uncontrollable coughing fits throughout the day where I find it hard to breathe and feel like vomiting afterwards. After these fits I'm very tired and am often aching which has, and will continue to, affect my revision and exam prep.

I went to see my GP and he suspects pertussis/whooping cough, and mentioned that the symptoms are likely to last for another month or two.

Would this class as extenuating circumstances and is it worth applying for consideration? Are there any possible options I could ask for/ will likely be offered with regards to exams?
Yes def especially if you get a doctors note with your doctor literally telling them you're too unfit to take your exams
Reply 2
worth an ask, worst that could happen is you get refused:wink:
Reply 3
Original post by khww
Exams are a couple of weeks away and I've been ill for about 3 weeks. I have intense bouts of uncontrollable coughing fits throughout the day where I find it hard to breathe and feel like vomiting afterwards. After these fits I'm very tired and am often aching which has, and will continue to, affect my revision and exam prep.

I went to see my GP and he suspects pertussis/whooping cough, and mentioned that the symptoms are likely to last for another month or two.

Would this class as extenuating circumstances and is it worth applying for consideration? Are there any possible options I could ask for/ will likely be offered with regards to exams?

Yes, this is very likely to be considered grounds to apply for extenuating circumstances. As well as the impact on you, extended coughing bouts in an exam would disturb other students and your uni might also consider giving you your own exam room as well as other considerations such as a percentage adjustment or extra time.

Ask your course leader or Student aunion rep how to invoke your uni's Extenuating Circumstances process. Ask your GP's surgery how to request a formal letter which confirms your symptoms/diagnosis and describes how these affect your ability to both revise and actually sit exams.
Never seen the point in extenuating circumstances really, I'll be applying this year, even though it doesn't seem to make much difference. I believe that all they do is round your grade up if you fall short a a small % at the end of the entire degree, or if you fail, they'll maybe be more lenient when it comes to letting you do a resist/let you back in etc. I understand that if you fail an exam and have extenuating circumstances, they'll still cap your exam at 40% anyway. You should apply for a delayed first sit which might be a bitter option. Check with your uni though, everywhere is likely different. At my uni it basically means nothing.
Reply 5
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
Never seen the point in extenuating circumstances really, I'll be applying this year, even though it doesn't seem to make much difference. I believe that all they do is round your grade up if you fall short a a small % at the end of the entire degree, or if you fail, they'll maybe be more lenient when it comes to letting you do a resist/let you back in etc. I understand that if you fail an exam and have extenuating circumstances, they'll still cap your exam at 40% anyway. You should apply for a delayed first sit which might be a bitter option. Check with your uni though, everywhere is likely different. At my uni it basically means nothing.

Definitely checking local regs is key. At the unis I've been to, each case is judged on its own merits, but ECs will usually result in a resit being uncapped.
you should at least be in a separate room as someone else said

get a doctors note though as you may be able to get an uncapped resit in august if you're deemed too ill to sit your exams

Quick Reply

Latest