The Student Room Group

I want to do Dentistry at Uni, Are these subjects okay for A level....

....Maths, Chemistry, Economics and Geography..or do I need Biology considering I hope to go to somewhere like Kings hopefully?
thanks
I don't think you need it but you might as well do it. Check with a sample of decent unis if its a requirement for their course, it'll tell you on their websites.
i think most unis ask for at least an AS in bio as far as i remember, but dont quote me on that. Best thing to do is like supernova said check the websites or the prospectus for each uni ur interested in applying too.
Reply 3
If your doing 4 for A-level you might aswell drop Geo (as its totally unrelated) and do Bio.
Reply 4
I pretty confident you need biology- but research as they say :smile: xxxx
Reply 5
Yea you need to do biology now, most uni's give offers for an A in biology A2 aswell now. I've also spoken to a few dental admissions tutors and they have said that uni's now see it as a just important subject at A level as chemistry. Think it will disadvantage you strongly if you don't have it. Good luck
Reply 6
^^ i agree!

all of my 4 offers had a reference to a grade in biology...
e.g bristol - AAB withs A's in bio and chem
kcl - AAB including chem and bio...

therefore i'd say its pretty essential if they have specified that the offer must contain bio as one of the subjects...
Reply 7
I'm contemplating wether to drop bio after AS.

Almost all unis want it up to AS [Kings, Queens, Sheffield, Liverpool (dental surgery)].

Just to be safe I would do biology, atleast up to AS.

i think u will need biology at AS for Kings
not sure though
check on ucas.com or something
Reply 9
im in the same situation - picking my subjects. Iv decided on biology, chemistry, maths and history and intendin on dropin hitsory for A2, so dont know if i should also take physics for AS and do 4 for A2. Doing 4 A2s, does that give u an advantage over sum1 doing 3?? Any1 doing 4 out der?? CHEEEEERS

u dont need to do 4
universities dont generally care if u do 4 A2s
so they will allow u to get a D or something in the 4th A level if u do go on to do it

on ucas.com
on a levels, i says 3.5 is preffered
I too want to do dentistry at university (hopefully manchester), I have done a lot of research and yes, you do need chemistry and biology to get a place in the majority of universities for dentistry, hope this helped:smile:
I want to do dentistry at uni as well (hopefully at manchester) I have just had to pick my A level options, and so i have done a lot of research! emailing universities etc. and yes you need both biology and chemistry to get into the top universities for dentistry, hope this helped, laura :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest