The Student Room Group

Choosing A-Levels

I am currently doing my GCSEs and at the moment, for my A-Levels, I have chosen biology, chemistry, maths and FM.
However i am still not sure what i want to study at university but i think i want to study economics. Would Economics be a better a- level choice rather than biology?? But if i drop biology then i cannot study natural sciences at Cambridge.
Reply 1
Original post by Ojyang
I am currently doing my GCSEs and at the moment, for my A-Levels, I have chosen biology, chemistry, maths and FM.
However i am still not sure what i want to study at university but i think i want to study economics. Would Economics be a better a- level choice rather than biology?? But if i drop biology then i cannot study natural sciences at Cambridge.

If you're thinking about going into university, I suggest that you call one up and ask what subject they prefer you have when taking Economics. Some universities prefer that you haven't taken it at A-level and some require that you have taken it! Hopefully they'll give you a rough view of what they're looking for from applicants :-)
Reply 2
Original post by LaurynAH
If you're thinking about going into university, I suggest that you call one up and ask what subject they prefer you have when taking Economics. Some universities prefer that you haven't taken it at A-level and some require that you have taken it! Hopefully they'll give you a rough view of what they're looking for from applicants :-)

Thanks :smile: But i feel like if i do not take Economics then i will be at a disadvantage to other applicants, since i have not studied the subject before and will have less economic knowledge.
Reply 3
Original post by Ojyang
Thanks :smile: But i feel like if i do not take Economics then i will be at a disadvantage to other applicants, since i have not studied the subject before and will have less economic knowledge.

This is true, which is why most universities do prefer that you do take the course, I'd check anyway just to make sure if they do/don't. If they don't want you to have the course already but you do have it, they're less likely going to accept you. If the University does however not want you to have the course, a lot of Universities want you to have personal reading so when you do apply to the UNI, you'd have to say that you enjoy the subject a lot and that you've read many books about the subject etc!

Quick Reply

Latest