The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

How difficult is it to get into Imperial for engineering?

Hi,
I'm looking towards applying to Imperial for either Mechanical or Electrical engineering.

I'm an International student doing CIE

I've gotten A*A*A*A*A*A*AB at IGCSE (B in english first language)

Currently doing AS-level Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology(might be planning to do AS further maths next year).

Predicted AAAA at AS level.
Predicted A*A*AA(mind you, 'predicted'. I might get 1 A* in reality)

I'm also going to apply to UCL, KCL, LSE(for maths+econ) and Oxford
What do you guys think my chances are?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Bumb
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
It's not necessary to bump twice after 2 minutes haha.

Anyway, I'm by no means an authority on this, but I think you'd be disadvantaged not taking further maths, especially for maths+econ at LSE. As in regards to your chances, you could realistically be rejected from all of those universities, although less likely to be at KCL I guess? I'm not saying you will be by any means, far from it, but it's possible. I would advise you to throw in maybe one safety option - although I understand as an international applicant it might not be as worth your while to have a safety, which at that point, I would say go for it.
Reply 3
@Topo15
Are my grades fine? And realistically, how much of a chance is there that I get into Imperial

I'm not going to bother with a safety school in the UK because i'm also applying to 22 universities in the US and 2 in Singapore.
I would only go to the UK if I don't into any better university in the US or elsewhere(which is highly unlikely). Eg. If i get into UCLA(US) and Oxford, I would choose Oxford.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by shakeebshams
@Topo15
Are my grades fine? And realistically, how much of a chance is there that I get into Imperial

I'm not going to bother with a safety school in the UK because i'm also applying to 22 universities in the US and 2 in Singapore.
I would only go to the UK if I don't into any better university in the US or elsewhere(which is highly unlikely). Eg. If i get into UCLA(US) and Oxford, I would choose Oxford.

You're grades are fine yes - they obviously meet the entry requirements and in most cases exceed them. However, as I said, it's a shame you don't do further maths as it's preferred. It's impossible for me to say how much of a chance - a fair one - I would certainly recommend you apply. Good luck with your applications!
Reply 5
I got rejected last year with A*AA prediction and AAAB at AS level
Reply 6
And don't you think tutors would rather prefer me because of my rigorous A-level subjects. I'm taking all of the natural sciences and Maths. I believe it's better than an applicant with Maths, Physics, History, Politics(or some other soft a-level subject)
Reply 7
And don't you think tutors would rather prefer me because of my rigorous A-level subjects. I'm taking all of the natural sciences and Maths. I believe it's better than an applicant with Maths, Physics, History, Politics(or some other soft a-level subject)

2A*1A would probably give you a placement if your personal statement is nice. One important thing is that youll send the same personal statement to all 5 universities through the UCAS portal so you cant customize one for engineering and the other for maths and economics. In your personal statement they would look if you have interest in the subject and specifically for the subject youre applying since thats the one thing any student needs to go through university as far as im concerned. So its not recommended to apply for diversified courses in the UK unless you can tailor your personal statement to a level where the admission tutors wouldnt know that you applied for another subject.

Im a "humanities" guy who never studied physics, biology, chemistry or any sciency thing besides Math at any level in school but they gave me an offer for the MEng Joint Mathematics and computer science course. I finished A levels last year and all I have to do is get an A* in further math during this MayJune exam session to get in. So further maths is pretty important

This is why I dont think they would value Chemistry and Biology that much compared to further math, I would highly recommend you doing it up to A2 level since they insist on it a lot too on their website.

Also if you choose electrical engineering, id suggest you drop UCL and check out southampton, their programme is better in more ways

Hi,
I'm looking towards applying to Imperial for either Mechanical or Electrical engineering.

Currently doing AS-level Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology(might be planning to do AS further maths next year).

How are you applying for both MechEng AND Maths & Econ?

Also, most applicants will be taking straight sciences so while your chances are decent, everyone else has a similar/better profile.
Reply 9
Hi,

It looks like you are applying to universities due to their perceived overall reputation, not necessarily the quality of their engineering courses.

There's no point applying to LSE with an engineering personal statement (you only have 1 statement and it goes to all your UCAS universities).

Also, why Oxford in preference to Cambridge? Many people do make that choice, but why are you? For example, Engineering is a much bigger dept at Cambridge.

And lastly you will really benefit from FM at full A-Level. Drop Bio after AS (too late to drop it now obviously).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending