The Student Room Group

National 5 Modern Studies

Scroll to see replies

Anyone have other revision/past papers as I've done every past paper on sqa website?
FTPT Advantages:

1) Fair - The FPTP system can be described as being fair as each constituent is given one vote and can vote for their preferred candidate. Usually the winning candidate in a constituent wins by a majority of the votes, meaning the majority of the constituency is represented which makes it not only fair, But also democratic. For example, for the constituency of Glasgow Central, an MP like Alison Thewliss may receive 60,000 votes out of a possible 90,000. This makes Alison Thewliss win by a majority making it fair and democratic as the majority of the constituency is represented.

2) Simple - The FPTP system is considered to be a very simple way of voting which is easy to understand as all the candidate has to do is simply place an "x" next to the candidate of their preferred choice on the ballot paper. This can make the FPTP system very straight forward which in turn allows results to be released much faster and it also encourages people to vote due to its simplicity. For example, in 2015 the general election results were known by Noon the next day.

3) Tried and Trusted - This means that the vast majority of people in the UK are familiar with the FPTP system, So this will allow more people to get involved, increasing voter turnout. For example, in the 2015 election turnout for FPTP was 65% compared to STV which was only 40%.

Disadvantages:

1) Wasted Votes - However, the FPTP system does have its drawbacks. One notable drawback is that the winning candidate only needs 1 more vote than his/her closest competitor in order to win the election, essentially meaning that all the votes gained by his/her closest competitor are irrelevant. For example, in a constituency of 50,000 people, the winning candidate could gain 25,001 votes compared to his rival with 24,999. This shows that those 24,999 votes are wasted all, Because of one extra vote, leaving them unrepresented.

2) Unrepresented - The winning candidate in an election for FPTP may not need to receive a majority of the votes to win. This in turn means that only a minority of people who actually voted for the winning candidate would be represented in parliament, unlike the others who wouldn't be. For example, in a constituency of 50,000 people, three candidates could be running for MPs. The winning candidate could receive 20,00 votes, where as both the other candidates combined could gain 30,000 Votes. This leaves those 30,000 people in that constituency unrepresented making it undemocratic.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by A+Hunter
FTPT Advantages:

1) Fair - The FPTP system can be described as being fair as each constituent is given one vote and can vote for their preferred candidate. Usually the winning candidate in a constituent wins by a majority of the votes, meaning the majority of the constituency is represented which makes it not only fair, But also democratic. For example, for the constituency of Glasgow Central, an MP like Alison Thewliss may receive 60,000 votes out of a possible 90,000. This makes Alison Thewliss win by a majority making it fair and democratic as the majority of the constituency is represented.

2) Simple - The FPTP system is considered to be a very simple way of voting which is easy to understand as all the candidate has to do is simply place an "x" next to the candidate of their preferred choice on the ballot paper. This can make the FPTP system very straight forward which in turn allows results to be released much faster and it also encourages people to vote due to its simplicity. For example, in 2015 the general election results were known by Noon the next day.

3) Tried and Trusted - This means that the vast majority of people in the UK are familiar with the FPTP system, So this will allow more people to get involved, increasing voter turnout. For example, in the 2015 election turnout for FPTP was 65% compared to STV which was only 40%.

Disadvantages:

1) Wasted Votes - However, the FPTP system does have its drawbacks. One notable drawback is that the winning candidate only needs 1 more vote than his/her closest competitor in order to win the election, essentially meaning that all the votes gained by his/her closest competitor are irrelevant. For example, in a constituency of 50,000 people, the winning candidate could gain 25,001 votes compared to his rival with 24,999. This shows that those 24,999 votes are wasted all, Because of one extra vote, leaving them unrepresented.

2) Unrepresented - The winning candidate in an election for FPTP may not need to receive a majority of the votes to win. This in turn means that only a minority of people who actually voted for the winning candidate would be represented in parliament, unlike the others who wouldn't be. For example, in a constituency of 50,000 people, three candidates could be running for MPs. The winning candidate could receive 20,00 votes, where as both the other candidates combined could gain 30,000 Votes. This leaves those 30,000 people in that constituency unrepresented making it undemocratic.

Wow! Thanks for such a comprehensive breakdown of fptp - really appreciate it :smile: I owe ya
Original post by Puppo
Wow! Thanks for such a comprehensive breakdown of fptp - really appreciate it :smile: I owe ya

No problem :smile:
Reply 84
Original post by Lewis H01
Anyone have other revision/past papers as I've done every past paper on sqa website?

I'll post some pictures of model papers I got from my teacher- she only gave photos of the units we were taught (democracy in scotland, crime and the law, usa world power). I'm away for a bath so they will be up very soon!
Original post by Puppo
I'll post some pictures of model papers I got from my teacher- she only gave photos of the units we were taught (democracy in scotland, crime and the law, usa world power). I'm away for a bath so they will be up very soon!

Thanks a lot man, there the 3 units I'm doing too :smile:
Original post by Puppo
Here they come-there's a lot of pics so this may take me a few minutes haha

Could you try post a couple more KU question from them model papers, much appreciated! :wink:
Can someone please explain to me how to split up a process into paragraphs.

For example if the question was about How the children's Hearing system works, how would I write it in paragraphs with a Point, Explanation and example ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 89
Original post by Lewis H01
Could you try post a couple more KU question from them model papers, much appreciated! :wink:

Will do haha there should be 18 by the time I've uploaded them all! Sorry this is taking ages but I hit some button and deleted my attachments. Bear with me pls
Do we need to know about Alcohol laws and puishments for crime and the law ?
Could we be asked a question specifically about it or is it just good knowledge to have and use it apart of a bigger question, for example Role of the police.
Original post by Puppo
Will do haha there should be 18 by the time I've uploaded them all! Sorry this is taking ages but I hit some button and deleted my attachments. Bear with me pls

It's okay mate, take your time. :smile:
Original post by Puppo
Second batch finally-I'm getting the hang of it now

Thanks, man a lot. That's enough questions :smile: if you need any help of question etc ask here and I'll help you :biggrin:
Reply 95
Perseverance is the key and thanks man I'll ask if I need anything. Same goes if you want to ask me anything :smile:
Original post by Puppo
They are all here I'm gonna stop typing now before I screw this up

That's amazing, at least I have 3 more model papers to do. :smile: <3

Original post by Puppo
Perseverance is the key and thanks man I'll ask if I need anything. Same goes if you want to ask me anything :smile:

Yeah, no problem man.
#Respect <3
Reply 97
Original post by Ethan100
Do we need to know about Alcohol laws and puishments for crime and the law ?
Could we be asked a question specifically about it or is it just good knowledge to have and use it apart of a bigger question, for example Role of the police.

"What are the laws regarding alcohol, drugs and road traffic offences? How successful are these laws?" That's what it says on the course support notes ( https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/CfE_CourseUnitSupportNotes_N5_SocialStudies_ModernStudies.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwikoo_tnP_MAhVkBsAKHUGLA5UQFggeMAE&usg=AFQjCNE5heK3jkczAadQ6HoTokyR6hvZHg&sig2=5KPFJvI24f8QaEJiSEpG9A )

Laws on alcohol: alcohol minimum pricing- alcohol cannot be sold under a minimum price to put people off buying it. People over 18 can buy alcohol. In 2014 the driving alcohol limit was reduced from 80 milligrams per 100 mls of blood to 50 milligrams per 100 mls of blood. Statistic on alcohol: alcohol misuse cost Scotland £2.25 billion a year.

Drugs: misuse of drugs act 1971 states the following are offences (there r more these are just a couple offences):
Import/export a controlled drug
Produce a controlled drug
Supply a controlled drug
Drug statistic: the nhs spend £180 million treating drug addicts.

Traffic: road traffic act 1988 states the following are offences (just a couple):
Cause the death of someone by driving dangerously
To drive a vehicle with due care and attention . Traffic statistic: in Scotland 2011 there were 176 fatal road accidents.

If you wanted to mention drugs and alcohol in role of police you could mention how community police officers educate students in schools on the dangers of drugs and alcohol and then give the name of the police officer that goes to your school (I.e mine is pc Mark Dickson)

I have had a question on laws on drugs and alcohol but it was given by the teacher and not by the sqa.
Reply 98
I've just been going through some model paper questions and came across these:

Why people in the world power you have studied many criticise the limitations put on their political rights

The powers of the First Minister

Why people believe a majority government works well and why people believe it does not work well.

I haven't been taught any of these?!

Would someone please be able to help me out?
(edited 7 years ago)
Last year i went into n5 knowing very little, never answered any question fully and still got an A.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending