The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE CHEMISTRY Unit 1 Question Game!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Obnox
How is copper extracted from copper sulphate using scrap iron and why is scrap iron used in the process?

Copper extracted in a blast furnace - high temperature and scrap iron added. Scrap iron is used because it is cheap and more reactive than copper- it can therefore displace copper.
GN everyone good luck for tomorrow :colonhash:
Original post by jackbarry1999
how are hydrocarbons cracked
hydrocarbons are cracked using a process called thermal decomposition. Short chain hydrocarbons are more useful as they are things like fuels. The proerpties of short chain hydrocarbons include- high flammability, low viscocity and low boiling point which means it doesn't need much heat. So to carry out thermal decomposition we put the long chain hydrocarbon into a test tube along with a catalyst e.g broken ceramic pieces. We heat the ceramic and the long chain hydrocarbon will infuse/travel through this. It will exaporate and then as it gets cooler through the tube, it will become a liqud in the next tube which is the cracked/short chain hydroc
anyone got the 2012 paper, aqa took it down from their site?
Reply 224
Original post by whyaqawhy
Copper extracted in a blast furnace - high temperature and scrap iron added. Scrap iron is used because it is cheap and more reactive than copper- it can therefore displace copper.

Good answer.
Explain how sulfur dioxide is removed from power stations?
Reply 226
its called extracting plant oils - its easy
crush seeds - distill water from solution - leaving oil

Right, just checked in my book and from my notes, I think there are 2 methods of extracting a plant oil and you need to know both of them, by the looks of it, but not into too much detail.

One way is your method and the other way is, using the example of lavender oil, to put lavender in some water. Then apply heat to that water which will evaporate the water alongside with some lavender oil. Then, you condense the water and the lavender oil using a water cooling jacket which condenses them in layers due to the density. You can then either use a dropper to manually extract the lavender oil or use a tap (very much like the taps used in a burette) to slowly remove the water.
the june one
Reply 228
Original post by ASSISTER
anyone got the 2012 paper, aqa took it down from their site?

file:///Users/John/Downloads/AQA-CH1HP-QP-Jun12.pdf
hope this helps :biggrin:
Original post by 11masanda002
hydrocarbons are cracked using a process called thermal decomposition. Short chain hydrocarbons are more useful as they are things like fuels. The proerpties of short chain hydrocarbons include- high flammability, low viscocity and low boiling point which means it doesn't need much heat. So to carry out thermal decomposition we put the long chain hydrocarbon into a test tube along with a catalyst e.g broken ceramic pieces. We heat the ceramic and the long chain hydrocarbon will infuse/travel through this. It will exaporate and then as it gets cooler through the tube, it will become a liqud in the next tube which is the cracked/short chain hydroc

ALong chain alkane( alkanes are the only hydrocarbons that will be cracked btw) are heated at a high temperature in the presence of a catalyst, producing a short chain alkane(s) and an alkene. I dont know if that much detail is required maybe saying thermal decomposition is good idk.
May I just mention the way the crusts move is NOT LIKE GEOGRAPHY?

You have to say :

Heat from radioactive processed in the mantle cause convection currents to occur. These drag the plates apart. An earthquake is caused by a sudden movement between plates
Reply 231
Original post by Love123443

It reacts with a limestone stack to stop it reacting with rainwater to produce acid rain.
Reply 232
Original post by JakeMcLellan
New ones won't have been added pal, this revisin guide is top quality (trusting with my life on it. That and mygcsescience)

What is dependant and independent variable?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Love123443

Calcium oxide is used react with the sulfur to form calcium sulfate???? thus removing the sulfur and producing oxygen instead idk where that came from
edit: nvm its powdered calcium carbonate that reacts with sulfur to form calcium sulfate reducing chance of acid rain. thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 234
Original post by IAmAnTroll
May I just mention the way the crusts move is NOT LIKE GEOGRAPHY?

You have to say :

Heat from radioactive processed in the mantle cause convection currents to occur. These drag the plates apart. An earthquake is caused by a sudden movement between plates

Very true lol, i do geography as well so thats the first thing i think of.
What is an ore?

How are metals extracted from their ore?

An ore is a rock containing enough metal to make extracting it worth while.
The metals are extracted from an ore using the process of electrolysis or reduction.

Electrolysis is the seperation of a metal from its impurities. It includes an electrolyte which is a solution used in the process and two edectrodes- the anode and cathode. If we were to extract copper then the impure copper would be placed on the anode, there would be a solution (electrolyte) such as copper sulphate. As the electricity is processing the extraction, the copper ions will attract to the cathode (neg electrode) as copper is positive and opposites attract. The impurites will collect at the bottom as a sludge.

Reduction is a process using carbon. This process is usually for mentals under carbon in the reactivity series. The carbon takes oxygen away from the metal
Reply 236
Calcium oxide is used react with the sulfur to form calcium sulfate???? thus removing the sulfur and producing oxygen instead idk where that came from

You can just say that limestone neutralises the sulfur dioxide.
Reply 237
Original post by z_o_e
What is dependant and independent variable?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dependent variable is what you measure. Independent variable is what you change.
Give the uses of polymers?
What are the two ways ethanol can be produced?

One way is by using ethene and steam=ethanol
However an alternative way is by using sugar and yeast. Sugar=carbon dioxide and ethanol

Quick Reply

Latest