The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE CHEMISTRY Unit 1 Question Game!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by t10r
is vegetable oil an alkene?

Yes, they are unsaturated, which is the property of an alkene
Reply 281
Original post by NoahSwinden
Fermentation - Sugar (glucose) + Yeast ------> Ethanol + Carbon Dioxide

Hydration - Ethane + Steam --------> Ethanol

Q) Name an advantage and a disadvantage of both fermentation and hydration. (4)

It's not ethane my friend, its ethene.

Advantage of fermentation = carbon neutral as the carbon dioxide that is released is equal to the carbon dioxide that the sugar cane would have taken in by photosynthesis in its lifetime.
Disadvantage of fermentation = the ethanol that you get is very dilute (low concentration of ethanol) and it may contain impurities so the ethanol has to be distilled and electrolysed.

Advantage of hydration = the ethanol produced is pure
Disadvantage of hydration = uses ethene which is from crude oil - therefore, it is non renewable.
Good luck everyone!!
Original post by t10r
Calcium hydroxide is Ca(OH) with a small 2 after the (OH). You would potentially lose a mark if you wrote down Ca(OH)

I thought so! That was my gut instinct. I knew there was brackets around the OH and therefore i knew there must have been a number following the brackets. But saying Ca(OH)2 just didn't seem to sound right when i said it but i knew a number must be there so was going to go back at the end and add the 2 but foolishly forgot. I apologise. But at least now tomorrow i certainly will not forget that Ca(OH)2 is the correct formula for Calcium hydroxide
Original post by t10r

Advantage of fermentation = carbon neutral as the carbon dioxide that is released is equal to the carbon dioxide that the sugar cane would have taken in by photosynthesis in its lifetime.
Disadvantage of fermentation = the ethanol that you get is very dilute (low concentration of ethanol) and it may contain impurities so the ethanol has to be distilled and electrolysed.

Disadvantage of hydration = uses ethene which is from crude oil - therefore, it is non renewable.

Genuinely a typo, my bad :redface:
Original post by t10r

Correct btw, do you want to test each other in dm?
Yes, they are unsaturated, which is the property of an alkene

I agree. Oils are unsaturated because they have double bonds. And having at least one double bonds is what lowers the melting point and makes it a liquid at room temperature. The presence of at least one double bond makes it an alkene.
Reply 287
Correct btw, do you want to test each other in dm?

Sure, just dm me whenever. I will not go to sleep till like 2 AM anyways because I slept for 2 hours after school xD
Could someone please help me?I wanna link the primordal soup theory with miller and urey thing like in one paragraph?
Original post by t10r
Sure, just dm me whenever. I will not go to sleep till like 2 AM anyways because I slept for 2 hours after school xD
Reply 289
Original post by Love123443
Could someone please help me?I wanna link the primordal soup theory with miller and urey thing like in one paragraph?

I'll help, dw.

Primordial soup theory is the theory that primate gases present in the early atmosphere being ammonia, hydrogen, methane, nitrogen and water vapour, when being hit by lightening, produced amino acids. Amino acids are the building blocks of life so those amino acids could have been what created the early forms of life. This theory was the idea of Miller and Urey who actually did an experiment to prove it. Although their experiment met their hypothesis and they managed to produce amino acids although a very small quantity compared to how many amino acids are present on earth today, the question that remains still to this day is how exactly do living forms come from the amino acids.
Thankyou so much so much that helped me a lot thanks
Original post by t10r
I'll help, dw.

Primordial soup theory is the theory that primate gases present in the early atmosphere being ammonia, hydrogen, methane, nitrogen and water vapour, when being hit by lightening, produced amino acids. Amino acids are the building blocks of life so those amino acids could have been what created the early forms of life. This theory was the idea of Miller and Urey who actually did an experiment to prove it. Although their experiment met their hypothesis and they managed to produce amino acids although a very small quantity compared to how many amino acids are present on earth today, the question that remains still to this day is how exactly do living forms come from the amino acids.
Original post by t10r
is vegetable oil an alkene?

Yes
Oils are alkenes and solid fats are alkanes e.g Margerine
Good luck everyone!!
Reply 293
Original post by tamanna___
Good luck everyone!!

good luck to you too
What are rhthee two ways hydrocarbons are cracked
Describe the method of hardening unsaturated oils?
Original post by adam9876
Describe the method of hardening unsaturated oils?

Unsaturated oil + Hydrogen + Nickel catalyst + 60'C
Original post by JakeMcLellan
image.jpegSorry guys, just a moral booster.
Going bed, gnight all! Good luck in your exam(s) tomorrow!!! Xxx

Thank you clever boy for the luck it came in handy in my test today Xxx
Original post by 4dam
Advantage - Poly(ethene) bags take a long time to degrade therefore reusing them means you will have less that need to be degraded.

Disadvantage - not a clue, do they stretch over time therefore weaken?

I found a similar question in a past paper and it said a disadvantage was that they would end up as litter, although it seems kind of vague

Quick Reply

Latest