The Student Room Group

Planning to study in the USA undergraduate

I am applying to universities in the USA in the coming months.
I have 3A* 5A 1B at GCSE and am currently taking Economics Sociology and a Modern Foreign language at AS and I am aiming for ABB in these coming exams. I am taking the ACT in a few weeks but I am not sure if I will get a good mark but hoping for 27-30 after I do an online course. At a glance what do you think of my grades? Are they good enough for uni such as NYU and Boston University? They are quite competitive and I have good extra curriculars but from a grade perspective what do you think/ suggest?
Reply 1
Original post by nicole236
I am applying to universities in the USA in the coming months.
I have 3A* 5A 1B at GCSE and am currently taking Economics Sociology and a Modern Foreign language at AS and I am aiming for ABB in these coming exams. I am taking the ACT in a few weeks but I am not sure if I will get a good mark but hoping for 27-30 after I do an online course. At a glance what do you think of my grades? Are they good enough for uni such as NYU and Boston University? They are quite competitive and I have good extra curriculars but from a grade perspective what do you think/ suggest?

The average score for NYU and Boston for the ACT are on the upper range of your predicted mark. Remember as well that - assuming you are from the UK - it's harder to get into the majority of those schools than for the average US applicant. Just how good are your ECs? How are you for tuition - would you be reliant on scholarship money etc.? Regardless, I think in all honesty both of those unis would be considered pretty big 'Reach' choices. Of course, if you put in a ton of work right now, there's no reason why that might not change. But I wouldn't recommend prepping for the ACT amidst your AS exams. Can you not delay them to later?
Reply 2
Thank you for your post, I'm starting prep in a week when my exams end so I will have plenty of free time. For tuition I won't be reliant on any financial aid.
What factor/s make it harder being an international student in my application? I want to be as prepared as I can and I will put my extra curriculars below (I haven't seperated them from other qualifications) I guess I am not quite sure what is 'good' but I really have no idea how they will be classed in the US as they place such a high value on them compared to the UK.

Extra curriculars/ Qualifications/ Work experience:

•ICT Functional Skills Qualification Level 2
•Sports Leadership Qualification Level 1
•Netball Umpiring Qualification
•Bronze Duke of Edinburgh Award
•Bronze and Silver Junior Maths Challenge Award
•Student Prefix
•Volunteer at Old Age Home
•6th Form Committee Deputy Head
•Team Leader (below head boy/girl team)
•Homework Support Buddy
•Intern at retail firm shadowing accountant
•Intern at Frieze Art Fair London
•Work experience in accountancy firm London
•Tennis
•Cycling
•Netball
•Rounders
•Scouts

Languages: 3

My decision to apply to the US was fairly recent so I did not really work on my extra curriculars as they aren't highly regarded here.
However, I still have time to improve although I'm not quite sure how it should be. If you have any suggestions I would be extremely greatful.
Thank you
Reply 3
Thank you for your post, I'm starting prep in a week when my exams end so I will have plenty of free time. For tuition I won't be reliant on any financial aid.
What factor/s make it harder being an international student in my application? I want to be as prepared as I can and I will put my extra curriculars below (I haven't seperated them from other qualifications) I guess I am not quite sure what is 'good' but I really have no idea how they will be classed in the US as they place such a high value on them compared to the UK.

Extra curriculars/ Qualifications/ Work experience:

•ICT Functional Skills Qualification Level 2
•Sports Leadership Qualification Level 1
•Netball Umpiring Qualification
•Bronze Duke of Edinburgh Award
•Bronze and Silver Junior Maths Challenge Award
•Student Prefix
•Volunteer at Old Age Home
•6th Form Committee Deputy Head
•Team Leader (below head boy/girl team)
•Homework Support Buddy
•Intern at retail firm shadowing accountant
•Intern at Frieze Art Fair London
•Work experience in accountancy firm London
•Tennis
•Cycling
•Netball
•Rounders
•Scouts

Languages: 3

My decision to apply to the US was fairly recent so I did not really work on my extra curriculars as they aren't highly regarded here.
However, I still have time to improve although I'm not quite sure how it should be. If you have any suggestions I would be extremely greatful.
Thank you

There are a limited number of spaces for international applicants - meaning competition is essentially higher - especially for competitive universities in big cities like NYC and Boston, as opposed to say Knoxville,TN.

Without dampening your hopes too much, I think your predicted AS grades may be a bit below the standards for your chosen schools - but a really good ACT could potentially discount this. Having no need for financial aid is also definitely a big positive.

In regards to ECs, depth is just as important as breadth. Try to really hammer home the things you've been most involved in. Three languages, extensive work experience, and by the sounds of it netball (?) seem to be the biggest things so try and hammer these home - at the same time - it's good to include as many other relevant things where possible - some applicants seem to have an impossibly long list of ECs.

I actually haven't applied to US unis before, but I have researched it before, so don't take my word as law - but hopefully some of this helps. Best of luck for the future :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Topo15
There are a limited number of spaces for international applicants - meaning competition is essentially higher - especially for competitive universities in big cities like NYC and Boston, as opposed to say Knoxville,TN.

Without dampening your hopes too much, I think your predicted AS grades may be a bit below the standards for your chosen schools - but a really good ACT could potentially discount this. Having no need for financial aid is also definitely a big positive.

In regards to ECs, depth is just as important as breadth. Try to really hammer home the things you've been most involved in. Three languages, extensive work experience, and by the sounds of it netball (?) seem to be the biggest things so try and hammer these home - at the same time - it's good to include as many other relevant things where possible - some applicants seem to have an impossibly long list of ECs.

I actually haven't applied to US unis before, but I have researched it before, so don't take my word as law - but hopefully some of this helps. Best of luck for the future :smile:

I can't thank you enough for your help! I really appreciate it. Wish you all the best
Reply 5
I can't thank you enough for your help! I really appreciate it. Wish you all the best

No problem - if you're ever stuck on anything feel free to send me a PM. Good luck!
Original post by Topo15

I would say depth is more important than breadth

But yep great post!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending