The Student Room Group

West and Russia on course for war, says ex-Nato deputy commander

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1

Don't worry, a war with Russia won't last much longer than a few hours.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Putin isn't stupid enough to attack a NATO country, Russia might have initial successes but couldn't win in the long run.

He's got away with his actions in the Ukraine precisely because they aren't members of the above.
Is there any evidence whatsoever for this?
Country of Peace
There seems to a lot of conjecture (somewhat unjustified in my opinion but he's the expert) on his part that Putin will definitely invade the Baltic next year...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Called it. Putin knows the West is weak (which is why it didn't fight back in Georgia or Ukraine), and he knows he will be welcome by people who hate their own government because we in the West have prided ourselves on a system of self hatred.

Make way for the new world, get our **** together or get blown out of it.
Original post by Plagioclase

Decisive evidence? No, if there were troops marching over the borders right now most people would still be asking for more evidence.

These are opinions of an ex-Nato deputy commander, not to be taken with a pinch of salt, just look at the domestic situation of Russia at the moment, it's a country which:
- murders opposition leaders
- illegally annexes territory in Georgia and Ukraine
- sells of (significant) state assets to benefit personal pockets
- openly prides itself on its history and empire
- sets up an us/them mentality through propaganda
- considers the West morally decadent and needing of cleansing
- very little personal freedom, persecution of minorities and state control of press
- restored the role of the Russian Orthodox Church
- international sanctions, struggling economy
- has a de facto dictator
- funds far right parties to destabilise Europe
- conducts regular and aggressive military tests

These are not the actions of stable countries.
(edited 7 years ago)

That I actually do believe!
Good we need to take out Putin he's become far too cocky and is incredibly islamophobic backing up Assads regime who kill innocent sunnis. A good ass kicking would humiliate this egotistical dictator
Reply 10
Original post by JamesN88
Putin isn't stupid enough to attack a NATO country, Russia might have initial successes but couldn't win in the long run.

He's got away with his actions in the Ukraine precisely because they aren't members of the above.

Interesting.

I recently read a summary of a work by a historian analyzing the Soviet Union. It surmised that in the end the Soviet Union fell because it was bankrupt. They simply didn't have any money left.

He also argued that in such a case what do they do, either you completely change the system (as they did) or you start a war.

Putin is much more likely to start a war than to change the system. And Russia is running out of money.
Original post by intelligent con
Good we need to take out Putin he's become far too cocky and is incredibly islamophobic backing up Assads regime who kill innocent sunnis. A good ass kicking would humiliate this egotistical dictator

He's being really Islamaphobic by backing Assad, Iran and Hezbollah who are all Muslims.
Original post by JamesN88
He's being really Islamaphobic by backing Assad, Iran and Hezbollah who are all Muslims.
They are not true muslims
Original post by Plagioclase

Nope.

It's a fiction. His job as a writer is to make something seem plausible. As some author once said (I think Tom Clancy): the difference between fact and fiction is that fiction has to make sense.

Original post by Aj12
Don't worry, a war with Russia won't last much longer than a few hours.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We'll be home by Christmas :wink:
Reply 15
Original post by KimKallstrom
We'll be home by Christmas :wink:

You could say we'll all be glowing! Just not with joy.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
That general is crazy. He's a warmonger.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aj12
You could say we'll all be glowing! Just not with joy.....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well ever since that jet got shot down, Russia has been fixing to roast Turkey.......
I do think if that opportunity came up for Putin to fracture NATO using an crisis in East Europe then he'd take it. But I don't think he's necessarily deliberately trying to set that kind of situation up.
I do not expect a direct war, but a proxy one is a possibility. A regime supported by Putin against one supported by the US and other NATO countries.

Understandably I hope this does not happen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending