The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Mathematics C2- 25th May 2016 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Let's hope edexcel use lube this time.

In all seriousness it should be easier than c1 because there are less stupid mistakes you can make with all the fractions. Instead you make stupid mistakes by missing out solutions to the sin/cos questions, forgetting your d2y/dx2 rules, not multiplying numbers in the binomial properly, not being smart enough to figure out how to reduce a logarithm, missing your negative signs out, not revising how to find the minimum area of something using calculus, and forgetting the formula for the arc area of a segment. Good luck all!
Original post by bne
not being smart enough to figure out how to reduce a logarithm,

:o: :redface: :redface:
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
What is everybody's plan today and tomorrow b4 C2 exam? :smile:

My plan Today:
- 4:30-6:30pm = recap C2 trig/Calculus & go through every past paper q on examsolution.
- 6:30pm-8:00pm = x1 edexcel C2 pp.
- 8:00-12:00am = recap every single unit 1 physics past paper (both edexcel+IAL) + recap shap theory.
- 12:00-1:00am = recap m1 dynamics b4 Physics exam.

Tomorrow plan:
- x8 C2 exam past papers = x5 edexcel, x2 IAL, x1 madasmaths pp. :argh: ----> :shot:
^ 8 x 1.5h = 12 hours ---> all day :bawling: I guess the faster I complete them the longer breaks I'll have at the end. :sigh:
9/9 C2 past papers to be completed for Wednesday exam. :frown:

No gym for me today or tomorrow. :cry2: #ripgains

You're inspirational. :cry2:

I don't think I can do any where near how much you plan to do tomorrow.

Probably about 6 papers maximum for C2, which would include the recent two IAL papers. Then going through exam solutions videos for any questions I get wrong.

From my current progress there's no way I can get a B in this exam, I need to stop dreaming about an A. :indiff:

Oh and good luck buddy! I know you got two exams coming up this week. You'll do amazing!:jumphug:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by undercxver

Probably about 6 papers maximum for C2, which would include the recent two IAL papers. Then going through exam solutions videos for any questions I get wrong.

Srs? I'm lucky if I can get two papers done in aday. :rofl:
Original post by Zacken

LOL same
Original post by jessyjellytot14
I found this binomial expansion question from the June 2014 IAL paper:

Given that 1 + 12x + 70x2 +

is the binomial expansion, in ascending powers of x of (1 + bx)n, where n (*insert symbols*)…and b is a constant,

(a) show that nb = 12 [ 1 mark ]

(b) find the values of the constants b and n. [ 6 marks ]

Do you think something like this may be in the exam on Wednesday?

Spoiler

Original post by Euclidean
It could be asked.

You do the same thing for the x2x^{2} term and then solve simultaneously

Edit: It's probably worth noting that IAL papers are a little bit tricker than UK papers, this is represented in questions like these

Original post by oni176
I don't think it will be asked. In the exam they either ask you to find the first three, four terms of the expansion, and could either ask you give the estimation for instance.

Original post by imran_
it can be asked, its never come up and it gives them a reason to ask this.

I think this has come up on an ordinary C2 paper a while back (or the previous specification's P2 paper).
Original post by Zacken

I'm sure you can do more, though I doubt you'd need to. :lol:

I've been doing the same with history revision alongside.
I found this binomial expansion question from the June 2014 IAL paper:

Given that 1 + 12x + 70x2 +

is the binomial expansion, in ascending powers of x of (1 + bx)n, where n (*insert symbols*)…and b is a constant,

(a) show that nb = 12 [ 1 mark ]

(b) find the values of the constants b and n. [ 6 marks ]

Do you think something like this may be in the exam on Wednesday?

Spoiler

Can someone who knows how to do part (b) please post a photo of their working or explain in steps how to do it? I've tried looking at the mark scheme but it doesn't make sense
Can someone who knows how to do part (b) please post a photo of their working or explain in steps how to do it? I've tried looking at the mark scheme but it doesn't make sense

You compared the coefficients of x to get the equation in part (a), right?

Compare the coefficients of x^2 to get another equation connecting n and b. Then you have two equations in two variables which you can then solve simultaneously.

What method of binomial expansion were you using.
You need to use 1 + nx + n(n-1)/2! x^2 + n(n-1)(n-2)/3! x^3 +.... method
and then look at where it says 70x^2 This = n(n-1)/2! b^2x^2
so that means n(n-1)/2! b^2=70
n(n-1) b^2=140
and then use the answer from part a (nb=12 so n=12/b) and sub into this
12/b(12/b-1)b^2=140
(144/b^2 -12/b)b^2=140
144-12b=140
12b=4
b=1/3
then sub into nb=12 to get the value of n

Hope that helps:smile:
Original post by Zacken
You compared the coefficients of x to get the equation in part (a), right?

Compare the coefficients of x^2 to get another equation connecting n and b. Then you have two equations in two variables which you can then solve simultaneously.

Oh okay i've forgotten how to use the method using exclamation marks so i'll have to revise that
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
What is everybody's plan today and tomorrow b4 C2 exam? :smile:

My plan Today:
- 4:30-6:30pm = recap C2 trig/Calculus & go through every past paper q on examsolution.
- 6:30pm-8:00pm = x1 edexcel C2 pp.
- 8:00-12:00am = recap every single unit 1 physics past paper (both edexcel+IAL) + recap shap theory.
- 12:00-1:00am = recap m1 dynamics b4 Physics exam.

Tomorrow plan:
- x8 C2 exam past papers = x5 edexcel, x2 IAL, x1 madasmaths pp. :argh: ----> :shot:
^ 8 x 1.5h = 12 hours ---> all day :bawling: I guess the faster I complete them the longer breaks I'll have at the end. :sigh:
9/9 C2 past papers to be completed for Wednesday exam. :frown:

No gym for me today or tomorrow. :cry2: #ripgains

8 past papers in one day?! I've only planned to do 3 Solomon papers😫
Reply 293
This is solution to Jan2012 q.9 (part ii) - which I was asked for

y=sin (ax-b)
We know from point P that x=pi/10 and y = 0 so we can put that into equation above and get:
0 = sin(a * pi/10 - b) Do inverse sin and this becomes 0 =a* pi/10 - b (EQN A)

We now repeat this for point Q. This becomes 0 = sin (a * 3pi/5 - b)
HOWEVER when we do inverse sin this time, we want the next solution which is pi (imagine sin curve, solutions for 0 are at 0, pi, 2pi etc)
so this second equation becomes pi = 3pi/5 - b (EQN B)
We now have 2 simultaneous equations that we can subtract from each other and end up with a=2 and b = pi/5
Guys, do we need to know about sec theta?!
Reply 295
Original post by angellll
Guys, do we need to know about sec theta?!

No that's c3

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do we need to know the proofs for?
Original post by angellll
What do we need to know the proofs for?

the sum of Sn
Original post by Leah3852
How have you finished all the normal past papers aren't there like 20? When did your school finishing teaching you C2

My school finished teaching C2 sometime in April, so I just started studying in May and finished all the past papers and now I've finished the IALs; they only take a week or less to complete
what is everyone doing today in preparation for the exam tomorrow?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending