The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Do Russel group Unis care if students retake year 12

I really want to study economics at uni but i feel like my AS grades are going to be very poor my exams all have gone horribly bad and im thinking of retaking to get AAAA for AS and A*A*A* im going to work during the summer to make this happen.So are retake students at a disadvantage and do university care
You don't have to retake if you are doing a reformed a level
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by TheAlphaParticle
You don't have to retake if you are doing a reformed a level

Wait so even if i get an E in economics (the new a level spec reformed alevel ) i can still continue it next year. Do you think i can persuade my economics teacher to let me on the course if i earn the new spec for unit 3 and 4 in th summer
Original post by Laura887
Wait so even if i get an E in economics (the new a level spec reformed alevel ) i can still continue it next year. Do you think i can persuade my economics teacher to let me on the course if i earn the new spec for unit 3 and 4 in th summer

You have to pass your exams so yh an E but some schools won't let you carry on with an E they require atleast an D. And it does not matter to your teacher if you learn the A2 content or not prior to next year, But it is extremely useful if you do for yourself that's what I'm planning to do considering that he have to do 2 years of content.
The thing

Original post by Laura887
I really want to study economics at uni but i feel like my AS grades are going to be very poor my exams all have gone horribly bad and im thinking of retaking to get AAAA for AS and A*A*A* im going to work during the summer to make this happen.So are retake students at a disadvantage and do university care

Original post by Reaver Daniels

Alternatively, if you're doing all reformed AS Levels then it won't matter, but the chances are you'll have to apply next year, rather than this one, as universities will make offers based on your predictions, which will be decided by your AS results.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your predictions can be higher, for example my brother got a D in AS for biology but have been getting A's and B's throughout the year and also worked really hard at the start of year 13 so his teacher predicted him an A. So even if you get an E then you might get predicted higher than a D/E
Original post by Reaver Daniels
I find it hard to believe how that is so. Even if you get 59% (a high D) in AS, you'd have to get 100% at A2 to get 79.5% which would only be an average of B... if we're going on UMS of course. The only way OP could get predicted an A is in reformed subjects, and as they're new, I find it hard to believe your brother got predicted an A at A2, if he could only get a high B overall due to his AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's retaking AS aswell
In my opinion Russel Group universities will look down upon it unless you have some evidence or persuade them that you've significantly learnt from it and/or there was a major reason to why you did so badly that you had to retake.

I retook year 12 and got an offer from UCL for Comp Sci. A lot of people in my school have retaken year 12.

One of my friends has an offer from Imperial for Design Engineering and he retook year 12.

I don't think they're just humans at the end of the day and realise that a candidate has now matured and realised the value of education or found their motivation to study.

All the best :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending