The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Economics (New Spec) Unit 2 - 23rd May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amelienine
How do you know so much about economics? Do you read a lot of The Economist or The Financial Times? You seem to have so much information...

No I don't read anything outside of the subject.
At the start of the year all of my teachers said - 'Make sure you read around the subject and watch the news...'. But I don't

I'm not really sure? My college is pretty good I guess?
Original post by Kantth
Good luck with all your other exams everyone!!! 😏👍🏿

I'm a big fan of the black emojis too. 💅🏿

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Diastal
Yeah so am I. However the main problem for me is my terrible handwriting. It starts of ugly and then gets even uglier. So I just hope the examiner can read what I wrote... Otherwise I'm screwed 😅

That's my biggest worry too. My handwriting is atrocious. If I were an examiner, I'd hate me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by harryleavey
No I don't read anything outside of the subject.
At the start of the year all of my teachers said - 'Make sure you read around the subject and watch the news...'. But I don't

I'm not really sure? My college is pretty good I guess?

Perhaps... A lot of stuff on the new spec I had to learn myself because my teachers didn't go over them very much... but still, thanks for all your help on this thread! Really appreciate it. What other subjects are you taking?
Original post by amelienine
Perhaps... A lot of stuff on the new spec I had to learn myself because my teachers didn't go over them very much... but still, thanks for all your help on this thread! Really appreciate it. What other subjects are you taking?

Maths (OCR MEI)
Chemistry (OCR A)
Geography (Edexcel)
Original post by harryleavey
Maths (OCR MEI)
Chemistry (OCR A)
Geography (Edexcel)

Right, good luck for those then!
What colleges do you guys go to?
Original post by Diastal
What colleges do you guys go to?

Peter Symonds, Winchester
For the 20 marker I talked about the following:
defined demand side policies
Defined monetary and the fiscal policy
Used interest rates gave the 2009 fall from 1 to 0.5 % then explain the effect this had on the consumer and firm investment
But i evaluated it by saying that it wasn't very effective in the UK due to lack of consumer confidence/ banks reluctant to lend.
Then i talked out quantitative easing gave the example of the £375 billion invested in the UK. Explain how this increased the supply of money etc. meaning institutions are more willing to lend and lower rates and So forth. Maintaining the interest rates/inflation rate and stimulating growth
and went on to evaluate by saying that it was effective used the USA and how if we invested more we could of got out quicker etc. but said that long term it could have inflationary pressures.
anyone remember any of the other questions my mind seems to go blank after the exams
Original post by liamlaw1320
For the 20 marker I talked about the following:
defined demand side policies
Defined monetary and the fiscal policy
Used interest rates gave the 2009 fall from 1 to 0.5 % then explain the effect this had on the consumer and firm investment
But i evaluated it by saying that it wasn't very effective in the UK due to lack of consumer confidence/ banks reluctant to lend.
Then i talked out quantitative easing gave the example of the £375 billion invested in the UK. Explain how this increased the supply of money etc. meaning institutions are more willing to lend and lower rates and So forth. Maintaining the interest rates/inflation rate and stimulating growth
and went on to evaluate by saying that it was effective used the USA and how if we invested more we could of got out quicker etc. but said that long term it could have inflationary pressures.

Your knowledge is mad bruh, if I expanded on gov spending, gov borrowing to spend , fall in corporation tax, fall in income tax ans evaluated each do u think that that's enough

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemauricien
Pretty sure that if u expand on fiscal policy enough and evaluate you're still capable of getting all the marks, I wrote about response in gov spending benefits , borrowing to spend , fall in income tax , fall in corporation tax

Posted from TSR Mobile

Safe G i still think i will lose analysis marks because of no reference to the text about monetary policy
Original post by liamlaw1320
anyone remember any of the other questions my mind seems to go blank after the exams

The ten marker was the effect of a decrease in real income on consumers. The 15 marker was about the threat of deflation to the MPC.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemauricien
Your knowledge is mad bruh, if I expanded on gov spending, gov borrowing to spend , fall in corporation tax, fall in income tax ans evaluated each do u think that that's enough

Posted from TSR Mobile
cheers man that sounds good some people say you need three points others say 2 in real depth but yh i suppose as long as they are explained well enough you should get the marks.
Original post by AsmaaMahamud97
The ten marker was the effect of a decrease in real income on consumers. The 15 marker was about the threat of deflation to the MPC.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ah yeah that's it cheers buddy. Pretty sure I talked about the standard of living going down, the negative effect on the circular flow of income for the first one. Second I talked about an increase in competitiveness then evaluated with the fact that we only export high end services/technology etc. then said the negative effect that it would have on consumer consumption, they would wait for prices to fall further etc.
What did you guys get for the math question about multiplier?
I did 1/0.5 =2
Then 2 X 15 billion = 30 billion so that means 15 billion additional national income.
Is that right?
Can anyone please evLuate how increase in coal ang fas exports affect a countrys future economic performance
Original post by Will7696
I did 1/0.5 =2
Then 2 X 15 billion = 30 billion so that means 15 billion additional national income.
Is that right?

30bn was the additional national income
*evaluate
*coal and gas
Original post by Will7696
I did 1/0.5 =2
Is that right?

I think the q said by how much would national income increased if £15 billion was injected ,the multiplier was 2 hence national income increases by 30 billion. I think I see why u think it was 15 billion but the initial 15 had nothing to do w the final income it's merely an injection

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest