Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Sheffield or Leeds for International relations !

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I have unconditional offers from both the unis .
    I have also applied to Birmingham and York , Bradford I got a rejected . I just choose them based on QS ratings and seeing information regarding international students and scholarships . I have narrowed down on Sheffield at the time because of the scholarships they have got for international students .

Sheffield and Leeds are both big cities with more than one university. I would say Sheffield sprawls more, and is definitely hillier but in my opinion Leeds has the better nightlife. Birmingham is even bigger. York much smaller, and as a city is more like a giant village. What do you think you would prefer?

Hi HFBS , I am a city guy , but I am also not comfortable with a very selfish big city , again Birmingham would speak an accent that I really don't like . I don't go partying and nightlife too much except to see what it would be like , coz for me it is just a waste of money . the word village puts me off . I haven't heard from birming and York for offers . but uni of leeds and the Uni of Sheffield have offered me places . initially I wanted to be close to London of its being the most exiting capital of the world and proximity to giant companies and international affairs .
    I have gone through the Sheffield website and everything sounds perfect and helpful .. Leeds is really up north . SHffield balances - the big city and being north , the living costs too . someone told me London is exorbitant living costs , so avoind London first place . I then went for larger cities .

THanks .

Leeds and Sheffield are only about 40 miles apart. Sheffield is possibly a little cheaper to live in. London is just insanely expensive.

I say village about York because it is a running joke that everyone knows everyone. They don't, of course. It's pretty big still, and an absolutely beautiful place that I suggest you visit if you don't study there.

I should add, I live halfway between York and Leeds, applied to study in both as well as Sheffield, I used to live a bit north of Birmingham and I grew up in South London. My first choice uni is York because I prefer the sound of the course. My second choice on uni would have been Sheffield, but I didn't want to move house, so I've taken Leeds as my second choice.

I think whichever you choose, you will get a lovely friendly city. Good luck.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.