The Student Room Group

Resit missed work or let board disregard in final classification at end of degree?

Hi all,

I missed some essays worth around 30% of 2 modules in semester 1, year 2. As this was due to illness, I've had mit circs fully accepted.

I've been given the option to resit the work or let the board consider that I had mit circs at that time who would then disregard that section of my degree so my overall mark would be averaged out.

Has anyone had any experience of this? And what did you do?

I'm currently year 2 finishing, going into final year of English BA in sept.

Also concerned that I'm wanting to apply for masters programme at and they will go off current marks/transcript.

Thanks in advance for any advice :smile:
Original post by Pb1229
Hi all,

I missed some essays worth around 30% of 2 modules in semester 1, year 2. As this was due to illness, I've had mit circs fully accepted.

I've been given the option to resit the work or let the board consider that I had mit circs at that time who would then disregard that section of my degree so my overall mark would be averaged out.

Has anyone had any experience of this? And what did you do?

I'm currently year 2 finishing, going into final year of English BA in sept.

Also concerned that I'm wanting to apply for masters programme at and they will go off current marks/transcript.

Thanks in advance for any advice :smile:

If you resat do you feel confident you could do yourself justice? If so I'd say resit and have a full transcript.

If you feel like what you missed would make it really difficult to get a mark on the resits within what you'd hope for then I'd say go with the mitigated mark. Speak to your student office/records/registry team first though to find out how the mitigation would be displayed on your transcript - it could be that you're worrying over nothing :smile:
to be honest I'd want a full set of marks just for my own personal pride, but it depends if you think you will get good marks (without dragging down any of this years work) if you do them now... you could always email a couple of masters courses you're interested in and see if they say they'd mind?
Reply 3
Thanks for the replies - the only other issue is that I'm currently pregnant and my due date will very be close to when they release the 'resit questions' for the essays which is in mid-july.

The only thing I could do is pre-write the essays now based on the original questions in advance of seeing the re-sit questions, then hope another similar question comes up on the 'resit questions'...

Of course they may be completely different.

Does anyone think it is worth trying this anyway?

As it is English (lit) the texts we've studied and need to bring into the questions won't change, just the questions as it is a resit essay(s), I have 2 essays in total to resit of 4,000w each.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending