The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel C1 higher thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TypicalStudent07
I wrote recycling and asked my chemistry teacher afterwards and she said it's fine

Thats reassuring. The advantage of chemistry is there are generally several acceptable answers which mean you can make educated guesses. Good luck with the rest of your GCSE's.
Original post by Flyer24
So hang did we have to draw two conjoined molecules for the polymer not just

( c -c ) with the the f's attached but two of them, if that makes sense?

This is what my head of chemistry told us to do when it asked for two. We did a past exam question identical to it but with a different polymer
Original post by Flyer24
Thats reassuring. The advantage of chemistry is there are generally several acceptable answers which mean you can make educated guesses. Good luck with the rest of your GCSE's.

Thanks 7/25 done so far! Good luck to you too!!!
Original post by Heardmanator
This is what my head of chemistry told us to do when it asked for two. We did a past exam question identical to it but with a different polymer

Ah ok, we had been told by our teacher that it was acceptable to draw one link but add a small n at the bottom to show that it was a chain with various numbers of monomers. I'm not 100% though so it may just depend on how pedantic edexcel's mark scheme is
Original post by Flyer24
Ah ok, we had been told by our teacher that it was acceptable to draw one link but add a small n at the bottom to show that it was a chain with various numbers of monomers. I'm not 100% though so it may just depend on how pedantic edexcel's mark scheme is

We're also told to draw a small 'n' after it but rather than put a number, draw the whole thing out and leave the 'n' there instead of putting a 2. I assume it's just a different method :smile:
Original post by Flyer24
Do you think we could have said, recycled. i was tempted to go with incinerated but couldn't decide which they preferred?

I wrote recycled and the starch granules thing. You should have wrote down both recycling and incineration cause remember they'll pick the right one, it doesn't matter if the other points are wrong. If you can't pick between two answers just write both down.
Reply 26
Original post by sherkamaru786
Werent u supposed to write two in the bottom right corner of the Poly tetra fluoro ethene?

You were it was only after the exam that I realised my mistake. I put n instead of 2.
Reply 27
Original post by sherkamaru786
You were supposed to write incineration lol xD

I'm pretty sure that if you were to 'incinerate' a plastic bag, the toxic fumes produced would definitely be far worse. The answer was to put starch molecules in the bag so that micro-organisms could break it up after a while.

Personally, I found the C1 paper A LOT easier than the B1 paper because it covered a good range of topics and didn't lead to much 'wasted' revision; unlike the B1 paper where they didn't half drag on some of the topics they used.
Reply 28
Easy A
Reply 29
Original post by Hyprobably
I personally thought it was a simple paper, six markers were a little challenging. How did you find it?

I personally found it really challenging. I tried to give answers with common sense, but there were barely a few things that I had revised in it. :frown:
Original post by safemate
I'm pretty sure that if you were to 'incinerate' a plastic bag, the toxic fumes produced would definitely be far worse. The answer was to put starch molecules in the bag so that micro-organisms could break it up after a while.

Personally, I found the C1 paper A LOT easier than the B1 paper because it covered a good range of topics and didn't lead to much 'wasted' revision; unlike the B1 paper where they didn't half drag on some of the topics they used.

It just asked for another method of disposal, not a cleaner one, so I'm pretty sure you'd get burning/incinerating as well as recycling and starch molecules. :smile:
How about if i put cracking for that question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LaFleur786
Huh but there were no questions on vegetable oil and calirometry??????

The last question was 5 marks and it asked about gardening vegetable oils. There was not any questions about calorimetry specifically but the question asking about how you could improve the shown experiment, had a diagram of calorimetry
Original post by DannyPaulCooke
The last question was 5 marks and it asked about gardening vegetable oils. There was not any questions about calorimetry specifically but the question asking about how you could improve the shown experiment, had a diagram of calorimetry

I think you may have the wrong paper for this thread. We did the GCSE Edexcel Higher.
I need your help in the exam i wrote beneath the question but still in the big box which has all the questions in it. Will it not be read now as i though it was still in the big box

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Flyer24
I think you may have the wrong paper for this thread. We did the GCSE Edexcel Higher.

oh I did AQA higher

Quick Reply

Latest