The Student Room Group

Lord of the Flies

Hey, is anyone predicting questions for Monday's exam??
My money's on Jack but what does anyone else think??
Apparently there's a possibility that samneric or the littluns coud come up
Reply 2
That's awful how are we supposed to write about those??
Exactly there's hardly any quotes for them! I'm so prepared for all the others but not them
Roger's never come up! While he dosen't have many quotes, you can say a lot about a little. For example, he's the only boy described as being "dark". While dark could be literal as in his hair being dark, being called 'the dark boy' links to the idea of darkness being in all men's hearts and Roger being the incarnation of evil in the novel. I shan't go into detail right now, unless it'd help anyone for me to do an essay style response?

It's been a while since Simon's come up, the island and conch are yet to make a return too.
Roger came up in 2008 and 2012 and Simon was 2015 and 2007 although roger could easily come up again. They tend to use questions that mean the same thing for example
2008 Roger is evil
2012 Roger is nasty and dangerous
Reply 6
Original post by thatonepunkguy
Roger's never come up! While he dosen't have many quotes, you can say a lot about a little. For example, he's the only boy described as being "dark". While dark could be literal as in his hair being dark, being called 'the dark boy' links to the idea of darkness being in all men's hearts and Roger being the incarnation of evil in the novel. I shan't go into detail right now, unless it'd help anyone for me to do an essay style response?

It's been a while since Simon's come up, the island and conch are yet to make a return too.

Wait, what could you write about the island? :s-smilie:
Original post by luciie
Wait, what could you write about the island? :s-smilie:

Degeneration is a big theme. The island starts of as being described as a paradise and ends up with it burning, symbolizing the boys being in hell. The island also 'corrupts' boys and makes them degenerate, like causing Jack to develop a power lust and turn savage and causing Ralph to lose his mind a little. The island also has no rules or regulations later on in the novel when democracy fails, causing chaos to break loose. The island also allows the boys to be themselves and causes them to unleash the evil and darkness in their hearts. Roger ties into the theme of the island well. While he was held back by rules in society, Roger is evil and the island allows him to unleash that. He doesn't degenerate as he was already evil, he was just held back.

The island is also a microcosm of the rest of the world at the time. The novel is set during a war, and the island has a snow globe effect when violence, savagery and fighting breaks out between the boys. There's a lot of talk about "wanting to go home", but the island is no better than the world they came from.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by hannah756
Roger came up in 2008 and 2012 and Simon was 2015 and 2007 although roger could easily come up again. They tend to use questions that mean the same thing for example
2008 Roger is evil
2012 Roger is nasty and dangerous

Huh, my English teacher said they've never asked on Roger. I have last year's summer paper from my teacher and it was either Ralph & Piggy's relationship, or how Golding presents the darkness of man's heart.
Reply 9
Original post by thatonepunkguy
Degeneration is a big theme. The island starts of as being described as a paradise and ends up with it burning, symbolizing the boys being in hell. The island also 'corrupts' boys and makes them degenerate, like causing Jack to develop a power lust and turn savage and causing Ralph to lose his mind a little. The island also has no rules or regulations later on in the novel when democracy fails, causing chaos to break loose. The island also allows the boys to be themselves and causes them to unleash the evil and darkness in their hearts. Roger ties into the theme of the island well. While he was held back by rules in society, Roger is evil and the island allows him to unleash that. He doesn't degenerate as he was already evil, he was just held back.

The island is also a microcosm of the rest of the world at the time. The novel is set during a war, and the island has a snow globe effect when violence, savagery and fighting breaks out between the boys. There's a lot of talk about "wanting to go home", but the island is no better than the world they came from.

This is great thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply