The Student Room Group

How did you find AS Philosophy {OCR}?:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Malo_Bo
When I revising the way I learn all the scholars is by trying to learn and an essay structure with simple cues then was I've learnt it well enough I try verbally saying the argument.For example for the Ontological Argument I my revision card literally said:
-Define ( explain deduction, analytic and a priori)
-Psalm 14:1
-Argument 1
- existence is predicate
-Hartshorne
-Kant and Malcolm
-Argument 2
-Gaunilo
-Plantinga
Then if needed use Descartes
-Gassendi
-Invisible gardener

From that I would know what each person said and be able to explain the argument like so:
Anselm's argument is deductive support with an example and define the rest.
Psalm would be supported with an example as I explain what he meant.
Argument 1 is straightforward.
Existence being a predicate I would use an example of a widow and related it to God.
Kant would use any example and just say it doesn't change you concept or understanding.
Malcolm would support Kant and I would use the example of 'My future child' which states that when I have my child, I'll teach them to be honest and then they would be greater however if I said to someone my future child would be great it they exist it wouldn't make any sense.
Malcolm did suggest that if God was necessary then this wouldn't be a problem which is when I link it to his second argument.
Gaunilo would be the island.
Plantinga would state the island was no intrinsic maxim.
Descartes argument about perfection.
Gassendi was only concerned with whether things existed and support with the invisible gardener.

I was revising ethics yesterday and I think you better off learning some quotes and keywords because each theory is stems from them like deontological and teleological, from there I'm going to plan essays like I did with philosophy and use keywords to cue me, even for weaknesses I could summarise them so for the strengths for Natural Law I put :
-clear cut
-common ( for murder is wrong in most societies )
-flexible
-happiness ( good thing lead to morality )
-reason ( doesn't just rely on it )
I'm more worried about the later content so christian ethics, medical ethics and just war because we were running out of time before we broke up for exams so rushed it all. Christian ethics isn't that hard but I would say I need to learn a lot more quotes, Abortion and euthanasia I literally the same argument, genetic engineering is straightforward and just war looks long but I condense all my notes a lot.
For just war I came up with mnemonics with Jus ad Bellum, Just in Bello and Jus post bellum. They might help.
Jus ad bellum are came up with two ways
SCAPIL; S=success(chance), C=cause(just), A=authority, P=proportionality, I=intention and L=last resort or
Some People Cause Accidents Like Iraq
Jus in Bello wasn't the best but I got Please Don't Oppress/Take More Revenge.
P=proportionality, D=discrimination, O=obey laws, T=treatment of prisoners, M=means (so don't use people as means to the end ) and R=reprisal (no reprisal)
Jus post Bellum was Please Don't Violate Rights Concerning People.
P=Proportionality, D=discrimination, V=vindication, R=rehabilitation, C=compensation and P=punishment.
I hope this helps.

Thank you so much for the reply, i'll definitely use some of those tips in my revision. Below are some quotes that may be useful for the ethics exam (the war and peace section isn't completed though). Once again thanks for you reply much appreciated.

All ethical topics
Genesis 1:26 “Let us make man in our own image”
Exodus 20 “Thou shalt not kill”
Mark 12:31 “Love your neighbour as yourself”

Abortion and right to a child
Jeremiah 1:5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you”
Psalm 139:13 “You knitted me together in my mother’s womb”
Exodus 21:22-25 prescribes the same punishment for killing a child in the womb as for a born human
Children are a blessing and not a right Genesis 4:1
Euthanasia and right to life
Sanctity of life arguments: Made in Gods image, all life is precious etc.
God has chosen the time that you die, not you: Ecclesiastes: 7:17 “Why should you die before your time”
1 Corinthians 6:19 “Your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit”
Deuteronomy 30:19 “Choose life, that your offspring may live”
Judas’ suicide confirms his place as a wicked man Matthew 27:3-5

Genetic engineering and embryo research
Ecclesiastes 7:13 “Consider what God has done; who can straighten what he has made crooked?”
War and Peace
Reply 21
Original post by Maz A
Thank you so much for the reply, i'll definitely use some of those tips in my revision. Below are some quotes that may be useful for the ethics exam (the war and peace section isn't completed though). Once again thanks for you reply much appreciated.

All ethical topics
Genesis 1:26 “Let us make man in our own image”
Exodus 20 “Thou shalt not kill”
Mark 12:31 “Love your neighbour as yourself”

Abortion and right to a child
Jeremiah 1:5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you”
Psalm 139:13 “You knitted me together in my mother’s womb”
Exodus 21:22-25 prescribes the same punishment for killing a child in the womb as for a born human
Children are a blessing and not a right Genesis 4:1
Euthanasia and right to life
Sanctity of life arguments: Made in Gods image, all life is precious etc.
God has chosen the time that you die, not you: Ecclesiastes: 7:17 “Why should you die before your time”
1 Corinthians 6:19 “Your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit”
Deuteronomy 30:19 “Choose life, that your offspring may live”
Judas’ suicide confirms his place as a wicked man Matthew 27:3-5

Genetic engineering and embryo research
Ecclesiastes 7:13 “Consider what God has done; who can straighten what he has made crooked?”
War and Peace

Thanks, so of the quotes I haven't seen so I really appreciate it. The other quotes of got other then biblical ones are:
Moral relativism 'Man is the measure of all things' Sophists
'Justice is nothing but advantage of the strong' Thrasymachus
Kantian ethics 'How can I have any knowledge of the world that is not just knowledge of the world as it seems to me'?
'Good Will shines like a jewel' Kant
Utilitarianism 'It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied. And if the fool or the pig are of a different opinion, it is because they only know their side of the question' John Stuart Mill - This is for Rule Utilitarianism with the idea of higher and lower pleasures and that you could justify anything with the principle of utility since it's one sided the minority aren't important
Christian ethics Peter Singer criticised Christians by saying 'Christianity obscures the true nature of morality:human fulfilment-happiness'. And that the end of christianity will open up a 'better way of life for us' and the Judaeo-Christian ethics is 'am empty shell, founded on the set of beliefs that most people have laid aside'
Hey guys, have you by any chance sat your Ethics AS exam yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending