The Student Room Group

Mathematical Studies BSc at the University of Leeds

Hi

I've currently got an unconditional offer to study Maths at Leeds but since applying, I've looked in more detail at the course spec. for the Mathematical Studies course. It seems really flexible and would give me the opportunity to properly branch out into other departments.

Is there anyone currently on this course who has an opinion on any of the below?:

- Are you glad you chose Mathematical Studies over the other available courses such as the general Mathematics BSc?

- Do you think that the obscurity of the degree title (I think it's only offered at 3 universities) would impact employability?

- Is it difficult studying across different departments - i.e. simultaneous peaks in work loads, being the "odd one out" etc?

Any replies would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Curtis
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by thetreblechef
Hi

I've currently got an unconditional offer to study Maths at Leeds but since applying, I've looked in more detail at the course spec. for the Mathematical Studies course. It seems really flexible and would give me the opportunity to properly branch out into other departments.

Is there anyone currently on this course who has an opinion on any of the below?:

- Are you glad you chose Mathematical Studies over the other available courses such as the general Mathematics BSc?

- Do you think that the obscurity of the degree title (I think it's only offered at 3 universities) would impact employability?

- Is it difficult studying across different departments - i.e. simultaneous peaks in work loads, being the "odd one out" etc?

Any replies would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Curtis

I dont study mathematical studies at leeds but do study a subject that gives a high level of module choice like it

Youre issue with studying across different departments will be timetable clashes, finding modules to fit that arent taken from the maths department will be slightly limited as youll find most departments dont talk to eachother when setting out their module timetables (you're compulsory modules take priority so if something clashes with one of them then you cant take that discovery module)
Hi! Mathematical Studies at Leeds is my firm choice for next year. It's pretty much the perfect course for me ☺️ and I'm not worrying about the effect it will have on my employability tbh. Just because it's obscure doesn't mean it's not respected (& it's at least 2/3 traditional maths degree so you can't go too wrong).

Only problem is I know exactly what other modules I want to take and would be pretty disappointed if timetable issues meant I couldn't do them 🙁 So I think that's something to consider. But I can see why the course appeals to you I think it looks brill x

Quick Reply

Latest