Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

FP1 Matrices question

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Why is that in this question (part c) http://i.imgur.com/1o1uiPl.png
    BA=C is changed to A=CA^(-1)

While in this question http://i.imgur.com/bH4ZwNV.png
    MC =A is changed to C=M^(-1)A (from the markschemes)

When should the inverse thats being multiplied through be on the left or right.

Matrix multiplication is not commutative so XY =/= YX so if you are to produce an identity matrix you must multiply the matrix by the inverse matrix on the side the matrix is on.

In your first examle BA = C > BA(A^-1) = C(A^-1) > BI = C(A^-1); the reason it's on the right is because you post multiplied A in BA and thus have to post-multiply C.

Same rule applies for the second problem.

Because you're trying to get the A on its own in the first part - so you want to get rid of the B by turning it into the identity matrix, I, which is like the 'one' of matricesTo turn it into I you need to multiply by the inverse - which you could either do as
    BA(B^-1) =C(B^-1) (which would not work as BAB^-1 will not be equivalent to IA and therefore I)
    (B^-1)BA = (B^-1)C(which is correct as (B^-1)B = I and so IA=(B^-1)C and so A=(B^-1)C

As you can see you can't stick the inverse term 'inside' of the two matrices which are already multiplied - so you can't do B(B^-1)A = B(^-1). Therefore you have to pick to put the inverse on one side or the other; the correct form is the one in which the inverse is next to the matrix (letter) you want to 'cancel'. If you put it on one side, you have to put it on the same side of the other half of the equation - for example, if you are doing MC=A to find C, you'd write it as
    (M^-1)MC =(M^-1)A so that (M^-1)M = I can be substituted in to get IC=(M^-1)A, which is the same as C=(M^-1)A
    NOT AS (M^-1)MC=A(M^-1) -----> as if you put the inverse on the left side of the MC on the left hand side, you MUST put it on the left side of A on the right hand side

I hope that makes sense
    Think of it as dividing to term you want to get rid of by itself
    Like how A x (1/A) can be written as A x (A^-1) and the A's would cancel to give 1, or I in terms of matrices
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read here first

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.