The Student Room Group

Eddie Izzard talks to you about the EU Referendum! Monday 23rd May

Eddie is visiting Aston University on Monday and he will be logging on to TSR to chat with the community ahead of the EU referendum (time TBC).

Eddie Izzard strongly believes that Britain should fight for our right to remain in Europe.

On 23 May, Eddie will launch Stand Up For Europe, his campaign to encourage people of all ages across the UK to register and vote IN.

You are invited to put your questions to Eddie around voting and the EU referendum.

Don't miss out, post below to be involved :smile: (Even if you don't think you're going to vote in the referendum, see if Eddie can persuade you!)
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Wow!!!!

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by M14B
Wow!!!!

Spoiler

A marathon(s) runner.

Spoiler

Reply 3
Dear Mr Izzard...

How do you feel about the ability of democratically elected MPs to provide redress of greivances being taken away on matters of EU competence?
One example was a man in Mr. Rees-Mogg's constituency. His cow died at Christmas and, due to the slow nature of the post office around Christmas, the paperwork didn't arrive at the EU in time. The farmer was then ordered by the EU to pay a fine. When he approached his MP to ask for the fine to be waived due to the perfectly reasonable circumstances (He can hardly be blamed for the inconsiderate cow dying when the post office was busy), the MP couldn't go to the government and have the fine waived. If the UK government waived the fine for the farmer, the UK themselves would be fined by the EU.

Why should young voters waste what is likely their first vote to vote for a system in which they are governed by those they did not elect?
It's a little ironic that their first vote in a democracy would be to remain in an undemocratic system. Whereas we can democratically elect and unelect our MPs, we cannot elect the European Commission or the European Court. We have but eight percent of the vote in the EU, are on the losing side twice as much as the next most-defeated state, and are not fairly represented in comparison to other EU nations (Malta, for example, has 15 times as many representatives in the council of ministers per capita than we do.)

Are EU bureaucrats and politcians paid fairly?
EU politicians and bureaucrats have been more than generous to themselves (One outstanding example is when the European Commission took the European Council to the European Court. The Council wanted to cut the wages of the Court and Commission as was to be done in sufficient economic crisis. The Court, not wanting to lose their wages, decided that the worst financial crisis in most of our lifetimes was not sufficient reason to cut their wages.) .Over ten thousand EU employees are paid more than our Prime Minister, David Cameron - that's 1 in 5 of everyone who works for the EU. Juncker himself earns more than Obama. On top of all that, they've decided to charge themselves special low rates (8-24%) of tax.

Why should we beleive that the EU is capable of reform?
When Mr. Cameron went to the EU earlier this year, he asked for a very reasonable set of rights for the UK to have within the EU such as the right to veto measures that would be bad for the UK. Nearly all of these were denied, even with the threat of Britain leaving the EU. If we vote in and confirm that we are indeed capable of being scared into submission and do not intend to leave, why would they ever reform to our advantage?

More questions to come later.
(edited 7 years ago)
Eddie! Do you remember us?!

eddie.jpg
What are your thoughts on the poor management of the EU?
Subbing

Best. Guest poster. EVER!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Eddie Izzard? Nice!

Eddie, I agree with you on the whole EU thing; but do you really believe David Cameron will be able to negotiate a better deal, and modernize the system? Because, while it is better to be in the EU than out of it, the current system does have its' problems which need ironing out.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Andy98
Also, as the Leader of the Green Party in the TSR Model House Of Commons; I must ask whether you are a fellow Green or not, more out of curiosity than anything else.

ummmm
http://labourlist.org/2016/04/labours-nec-race-clp-nominations/
Reply 10

Original post by Andy98
Eddie Izzard? Nice!

Eddie, I agree with you on the whole EU thing; but do you really believe David Cameron will be able to negotiate a better deal, and modernize the system? Because, while it is better to be in the EU than out of it, the current system does have its' problems which need ironing out.

Also, as the Leader of the Green Party in the TSR Model House Of Commons; I must ask whether you are a fellow Green or not, more out of curiosity than anything else.

Yeah, he's wearing a labour pin in that picture too.
place saving
I like my women like I like my coffee - COVERED IN BEES!

Do you think staying in the EU will help with environmental causes like helping maintain the UK bee population.
Reply 13
Original post by Andy98
...do you really believe David Cameron will be able to negotiate a better deal, and modernize the system?

It won't be Cameron negotiating anything significant after the referendum. He did his negotiating already.

He'll be thinking about timing his resignation no matter what the outcome.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello Mr Izzard, :smile:
My parents were going to vote out after reading the EU Referendum 2016 voting guide, but then they said they would vote in, what would you say to them in order to persuade them to stay IN?
Thank you for answering my question :smile:

I will read your reply in the evening because I have an english literature exam.
Reply 15
What do you know about anything?
In the spirit of democracy and not being bias, which celebrity will be coming on TSR promoting the Leave campaign?
Original post by Queen Cersei
Eddie is visiting Aston University on Monday and he will be logging on to TSR to chat with the community ahead of the EU referendum (time TBC).

Eddie Izzard strongly believes that Britain should fight for our right to remain in Europe.

On 23 May, Eddie will launch Stand Up For Europe, his campaign to encourage people of all ages across the UK to register and vote IN.

You are invited to put your questions to Eddie around voting and the EU referendum.

Don't miss out, post below to be involved :smile: (Even if you don't think you're going to vote in the referendum, see if Eddie can persuade you!)

How significantly will Brexit effect students chances of studying abroad?
Seems rather Bias.

(Just having an IN voter.)
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi,

I am currently undecided about which way to vote as I am sure many are. What advice do you have to finding out real unbiased information and facts as this seems to be quite an obstacle.

What is the main reason you want us to stay in the EU? I think the EU does many positive things for the UK economy but the amount that it costs us is quite shocking. On balance do we really get out what we put in?

This is the first time I will be able to vote in anything so i'm conscious to use it wisely.

Cheers.

Quick Reply