Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

OCR Biology A, the role of haemoglobin in transporting oxygen

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Someone help me to understand this. I cannot seem to get my head around it and no matter how much I go over it I just draw a blank every time I want to recall it.

There are 4 things you need to know;
    -Haemoglobin is a pigment.
    -It is also a protein
    -It is carried in the blood stream in red blood cells
    -It is a receptor for oxygen (it carries it around)
    Hope that helps x

I'm assuming you know a bit about Haemoglobin already (from the Biological molecules topic.)

Haemoglobin can carry up to four oxygen molecules with it around the body. Each one binds to a Haem group (Fe2+ ion.)

When talking about uptake of oxygen, you should think in terms of oxygen concentration, or as it ends up being called, partial pressure. There's also partial pressure of carbon dioxide that we consider, but I'll get to that.

At different partial pressures of oxygen, Haemoglobin is less or more likely to take up oxygen (and is said to have a high or low affinity for oxygen.) This is best explained with a diagram (oxygen dissociation curve

So, just concentrating on the central blue line there, you can see that as partial pressure of oxygen increases (pO2,) increases, so does the saturation of Haemoglobin (and by that logic, its affinity.) What's going on is something called positive cooperativity, where as one molecule of oxygen binds to a haem group, it changes the shape of the rest of the molecule to make it easier for more oxygen molecules to bind to the haemoglobin.

In the lungs, where the partial pressure of oxygen is very high, it causes haemoglobin to become saturated with oxygen (ie. all four haem groups on a single haemoglobin are bound to oxygen molecules.) In the capillaries, the opposite occurs - the partial pressure of oxygen is much lower, so haemoglobin has a lower affinity for oxygen and thus releases it. Positive cooperativity also works backwards (as far as I remember) so when one oxygen dissociates from the haemoglobin, the molecule changes shape to make it easier to release the rest.

The other thing going on in the capillaries is that there is carbon dioxide entering the bloodstream from the tissue fluid. This creates a high partial pressure of carbon dioxide, which prompts haemoglobin to have a lower affinity for oxygen (and encouraging oxygen to be released into cells by it.)

Hope this was helpful.

This is really helpful thanks. Just a few questions:
    In terms of carbonic anhydrase, haemoglobonic acid and the chloride shift, how does this fit in? Thanks

This all takes place in the capillaries (more towards the venous end I believe.) CO2 will diffuse into the capillaries from tissue fluid and then into the erythrocytes. Once inside, some of the CO2 binds to Haemoglobin (called carboaminohaemoglobin) and the rest reacts with water in the cytoplasm of the erythrocyte to form carbonic acid, which is catalysed by carbonic anhydrase. After this, the acid will dissociate into hydrogen carbonate (HCO3-) ions and hydrogen (H+) ions. The hydrogen carbonate ions move out of the erythrocyte and as a result, Chloride ions will move in so that the overall electric charge is maintained (this is the chloride shift.) Lastly, the hydrogen ions will combine with haemoglobin to form haemoglobinic acid.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.