The Student Room Group

Can an Access to HE diploma genuinely get me to these universities for these degrees?

(edited 6 years ago)
Can speak for business degrees but I got an offer from KCL for an AAB-entry course this year, so yeah.
Reply 2
Original post by Wisefire
So I'll be starting an Access to HE diploma in Business from September 2016. I've been calling universities getting answers to my questions, and I've pinned down the following four degrees I want to apply for, using the same personal statement:

KCL - 'Business Management', N200, 39 distinctions and 6 merits needed

Manchester - 'Management (Accounting and Finance)', NN24, 30 distinctions and 15 merits needed

Durham - 'Business and Management', N201, 30 distinctions and 15 merits needed

Nottingham - 'Finance, Accounting and Management', NN34, 30 distinctions and 15 merits needed

I have two questions:
A) Can an Access to HE diploma genuinely get me to these degrees? The universities I've called and they've all said they would, but I'm still slightly worried and skeptical because entry is competitive (I did have AAB offers from Manchester for Accounting and Finance and Nottingham for Finance, Accounting and Management last year, with ABDE at AS-level done at a private school and not the best of personal statements, which I have improved recently in my own time, but sadly I didn't sit my A2s last year because of a lot of overwhelming over thinking).

B) Would a Business and Management/Management personal statement be acceptable for 'Finance, Accounting and Management' at Nottingham? Or would I need to make sure the personal statement does involve talking points on Finance in it, if NN34 is more of a Finance degree?

Definitely - Access courses are pretty much viewed as an equivalent to A Levels.

I can't really speak for the courses that you've applied to at these universities, but I will say that people in my year on the Access Science pathway received offers from Durham, KCL and Nottingham for health/science degrees such as Biomedical Science, Chemistry, Midwifery, and Pharmacy.

I'm not sure if the fact that you failed to complete your A Levels will work against you or not as it doesn't really show commitment, but that's all down to the universities that you've applied to at the end of the day.
Original post by Wisefire
AAB for KCL? Really? I thought Business Management was an A*AA course, hence how they ask for 39 distinctions on an Access course, unless you're talking about another degree at KCL?

My apologies, that should have said can't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending