The Student Room Group

National 5 Computing Science

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lewis H01
Could you tell me the differences between client servers and peer-to-peer networks?

@Ethan100

Ohhh sorry Lewis, never saw your message :frown:
Original post by sameehaiqbal
The basic operation of a computer is called the β€˜fetch-execute’ cycle. The computer fetches the instruction from its memory and then executes it. This is done repeatedly from when the computer is booted up to when it is shut down.

Fetching the instruction - The CPU fetches this from the main memory (the hard drive) and stores it in the CPU temporary memory

Executing the instruction - When the instruction has been decoded, the CPU can carry out the action that is needed. This is called executing the instruction

Wow you really do know your stuff.

Thanks very much :smile:
Original post by Ethan100
Wow you really do know your stuff.

Thanks very much :smile:

I wanted to go into Software Engineering before changing my career path to Radiotherapy :smile:
Hey guys, I did Nat 5 computing science last year. How are you all feeling about the exam on Friday ? I didn't really enjoy higher this year tbh but I liked Nat 5 last year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RossB1702
Hey guys, I did Nat 5 computing science last year. How are you all feeling about the exam on Friday ? I didn't really enjoy higher this year tbh but I liked Nat 5 last year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah N5 Computing was great. Hows it different to higher?
Reply 85
A client server network is a method of organising a network where you have lots of computer systems (the clients) that access different servers. (for example in schools and universities)

A peer to peer network is more like a network set up at home, or in a small office with less machines.

Thanks. :smile: how's your revision going?
Reply 86

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm assuming you got a A at national 5?
I'm assuming you got a A at national 5?

Yeah it wasn't hard considering I got 59/60 in my course work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah N5 Computing was great. Hows it different to higher?

It's several factors why I don't like it.
I find the course extremely boring this year, just the topics in general.

The course work was extremely stressful and it was a lot of pressure to hand everything in on time. You know I never got any free time to go out for lunch with my friends because I was struggling to hand in my projects in on time.

My teacher gave our full year a prelim that didn't reflect previous past papers. It was out of 45 marks whereas the exam is out of 90! And only a small % passed the prelim because it wasn't a good paper that wasn't similar to any part papers in the slightest.

Also my teacher has gave us notes with a lot of gapped knowledge, some of the questions that come in past papers he hasn't taught us them in eneough detail to get full marks in some questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's several factors why I don't like it.
I find the course extremely boring this year, just the topics in general.

The course work was extremely stressful and it was a lot of pressure to hand everything in on time. You know I never got any free time to go out for lunch with my friends because I was struggling to hand in my projects in on time.

My teacher gave our full year a prelim that didn't reflect previous past papers. It was out of 45 marks whereas the exam is out of 90! And only a small % passed the prelim because it wasn't a good paper that wasn't similar to any part papers in the slightest.

Also my teacher has gave us notes with a lot of gapped knowledge, some of the questions that come in past papers he hasn't taught us them in eneough detail to get full marks in some questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

59/60 WOW, Does Higher have an assignment ?
59/60 WOW, Does Higher have an assignment ?

Yeah I got 53/60 this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was doing this past paper and it asked me how a decimal number is stored I wrote as a real number/ Float Number. It said Mantissa and exponent, Am I still not correct ?
I was doing this past paper and it asked me how a decimal number is stored I wrote as a real number/ Float Number. It said Mantissa and exponent, Am I still not correct ?

I'd write mantissa and exponent
Reply 93
What's everyone's strong point?

Personally, mines is the database one eg (primary key/foreign key) also I quite like those calculations of photos..
Can someone tell me how to do them bitmap calculations to find the storage requirements ?
Can someone tell me how to do them bitmap calculations to find the storage requirements ?

It depends on the question.

Post it here.

What's everyone's strong point?

Personally, mines is the database one eg (primary key/foreign key) also I quite like those calculations of photos..

Yeah those calculations are probably my strongest point.

I haven't really revised well enough, just been doing past papers and have been finding things okay.
Reply 96
Could someone give me a description of what an array is and string?

This may look silly, but how do you identify which is which in a programming code?
Original post by A+Hunter
It depends on the question.

Post it here.

Yeah those calculations are probably my strongest point.

I haven't really revised well enough, just been doing past papers and have been finding things okay.

This for example :

rrereye.png

Can you please show me how to do it ?
Thanks !
Could someone give me a description of what an array is and string?

This may look silly, but how do you identify which is which in a programming code?

An Array is basically just a list
A string is numbers and characters which are together

I usually notice array when there are square brackets, e.g. A shopping list
["Milk", "Yoghurt", "Cheese"]

Well that's how it looked like in Python
This for example :

rrereye.png

Can you please show me how to do it ?
Thanks !

Basically what you want to do is the following:

Inch*Inch*DPI*Colour Bit Depth
4*6*600*24
=345600 (BITS) / 8 (Divide by 8 here)
=43200 (BYTES) /1024 (Divide by 1024here)
= 42.1975 KiloBytes
Leave your answer as Kilobytes unless the question says otherwise. To convert to MegaBytes just divide by 1024 and then to convert to giga just divide by 1024 and so on...

If they don't give you the DPI then just do:
Inch*Inch*Colour Bit Depth
And then do all the other steps

Quick Reply

Latest