The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yeah I dont think im going to reach my firm or insurance offers either. Will almost definately go through clearing. One of my teachers said that there was something like 51,000 vacant spaces for clearing last year, but dont hold me to that.
Original post by smartsy
I'm holding an AAA offer but I think I'm going to get ABB. What would my chances be like in clearing? I've also looked at foundation years and they're really vague about their entrance requirements but I'm keeping that option open too.
Additional info: additional AAB at A level (not in the required subjects), additional C at AS level, 7 A* 5A at GCSE
Also, can clearing choices diverge slightly from your original degree choice?

I think it will depend on what course you had applied for, you haven't actually said. Plus you've got to look at what a levels you're doing now and what degrees they will suit. UCAS have got a system where they will let you know if there are any clearing courses that will suit you but you need to sign up for that and it might be worth finding courses that you like and can achieve. Ring up the respective universities and ask. They're still really good grades, so if there are courses in clearing that you could achieve the grades for and that you like, there should be no reason you can't get a place as long as you apply early enough.
Original post by aryafan117
I think it will depend on what course you had applied for, you haven't actually said. Plus you've got to look at what a levels you're doing now and what degrees they will suit. UCAS have got a system where they will let you know if there are any clearing courses that will suit you but you need to sign up for that and it might be worth finding courses that you like and can achieve. Ring up the respective universities and ask. They're still really good grades, so if there are courses in clearing that you could achieve the grades for and that you like, there should be no reason you can't get a place as long as you apply early enough.

Thank you - that's reassuring to know. Of course, I forgot to mention. My course is Maths and Physics, but I'm rooting for Physics predominantly. I don't expect that I'll get straight Physics (probably a related course), but hey, beggars can't be choosers. I shall sign up to that service. Thanks again.
Does it make any difference - or, can Uni's even tell for that matter - if you miss your required grade by one UMS or 40?

If a course is no longer available to apply for does it imply that it's very full and they are unlikely to lower standards for entry?
Original post by skeptical_john
Does it make any difference - or, can Uni's even tell for that matter - if you miss your required grade by one UMS or 40?

If a course is no longer available to apply for does it imply that it's very full and they are unlikely to lower standards for entry?

Universities receive overall grades and can access module grades. UMS aren't available and won't make any difference unless you're requesting a priority remark and have a good chance of meeting your offer conditions.

At this point in time it means that they either don't expect to need to look outside the current pool of applicants to fill their places or they don't think that the administration burden of being open for late applications is worth it for the small numbers that come through at this point. It doesn't mean anything about what they will or won't accept.

A university will only reject firm and insurance students who have missed their offers because either
A) they physically or logistically do not have the capacity to teach them
B) they genuinely don't believe that a student with those grades has a chance of succeeding on the course.

Rejections aren't made with malice but as the only option available.
Thanks for the reply.

I'd like to think if they look at the overall picture (I've over achieved on some requirements) that I will be ok but was worried it would be a simple algorithm that simply rejects applications that do not meet criteria.
Do you think of you get something like BBE they would let you in? I have an offer of BBC for psychology and I think I've got a B in geog, B in psychology but my RE exam went awful today. So I think I have got an E. Do you think they will still let me in?
Original post by joshnewbs
Do you think of you get something like BBE they would let you in? I have an offer of BBC for psychology and I think I've got a B in geog, B in psychology but my RE exam went awful today. So I think I have got an E. Do you think they will still let me in?

It isn't possible to answer this - even the university concerned couldn't tell you at this stage.
Original post by smartsy
Thank you - that's reassuring to know. Of course, I forgot to mention. My course is Maths and Physics, but I'm rooting for Physics predominantly. I don't expect that I'll get straight Physics (probably a related course), but hey, beggars can't be choosers. I shall sign up to that service. Thanks again.

With ABB you'll be in with a very good chance of a place for physics in clearing even if your firm don't take you.

Last year 42% of people accepted by their firm missed their predicted grades by 2 or more grades. It's very common for applicants to be accepted with lower grades but there are no guarantees.
Wait till you get your results. As per above youd stand a good chance in clearing.
You can pick whatever you like in clearing.

I would use some of the time preparing for when clearing opens by looking at Unis you would consider of they became available at clearing. This might reduce the time it needs for you to make your choice.
Original post by PQ
With ABB you'll be in with a very good chance of a place for physics in clearing even if your firm don't take you.

Last year 42% of people accepted by their firm missed their predicted grades by 2 or more grades. It's very common for applicants to be accepted with lower grades but there are no guarantees.

Wow! 42%? How did you come about that information? I'm really afraid I'm gonna miss my offer.
Original post by jackien1
Wow! 42%? How did you come about that information? I'm really afraid I'm gonna miss my offer.

By combining some statements from UCAS end of cycle report with the overall statistics. That's the minimum number.
So I've had three exams so far, two of which were AS resits, one was an A2 and I have two A2 exams tomorrow then my last A2 exam next Tuesday. The first three exams went okay but even by the end of my first A2 I knew it was absolutely nowhere near the grade I needed for my firm or insurance (A*AB, AAA, basically I ****ed up and upset my insurance uni and they altered the grades, not going into it). I'm completely unprepared for tomorrow's exams, I crammed all of today and I'm not retaining the information, it's just not enough. I've really ****ed up here and that's just the reality of it. (I realise I'm posting stupid threads on TSR rather than revising more)

So obviously Durham uni is gonna want me to sign up for accommodation and stuff like that and I've had the same sorta emails from Newcastle, my insurance. I know for a fact, objectively, I have not got anywhere near the grades I need for either of those I'd be extremely lucky to get two B's and a C and the C is VERY aspirational as it's my weakest subject. It would be pretty stupid signing up to that stuff wouldn't it? Can I ring them after my last exam and tell them what is up? They're very tight on the grades they ask for and I'm way off without a shadow of a doubt. I'm conscious that people are going to tell me that I have no idea how I've done until results day and honestly that is true but I'm also aware of what the examiners expect for the A's I needed and definitely haven't done that, I'm almost positive.

Also, in clearing is it unlikely that I'll be in student accommodation?
Students fail to get exam grades every year and hey know this so, don't panic.
Sign up to the accommodation as requested. They may require a deposit. You should read the small print as to how much of that is returnable if you are unable to take your place. I'd think most if not all.

Get your priorities right. For now prepare as best you can and finish the remaining exams off. That is the absolute priority.
It includes the basics things of avoiding making basic errors such as reading the questions and pacing yourself. You are distracting yourself with irrelevant things.

Wait for your results, because until they happen you dont know.
You can work out the possible scenarios and prepare though, so you know what to do in each possible scenario.
If you get the grades, thats all good, if you dont, then its clearing, foundation year or resit.

If you booked accommodation they will return most of no all your deposit. You have to read their terms. They are used to students having to cancel every year. If you get somewhere from clearing and you want Uni accommodation, then you have to ring and ask. A lot will be gone, but if you are quick you may get some from other students who had to relinquish their place for not getting the grades. You should try. Worry about all that after your exams. GL
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by TooManyTribes

Also, in clearing is it unlikely that I'll be in student accommodation?

Just on this point, some universities do guarantee accommodation for Clearing students. For some it may be with private uni-approved partners, or in uni halls.

Here's some info from 2015, although of course it may be slightly different for 2016.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/clearing/11741945/Clearing-2015-guide-to-last-minute-accommodation.html
I'm doing the IB diploma and have made the university of manchester my firm to study Development studies, for my final results they want a 35 in total with a 665 at higher and no less than a 5.If I get a 38 with 776 at higher level and one 4 will they still let me in?
Original post by jneill
Just on this point, some universities do guarantee accommodation for Clearing students. For some it may be with private uni-approved partners, or in uni halls.

Here's some info from 2015, although of course it may be slightly different for 2016.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/clearing/11741945/Clearing-2015-guide-to-last-minute-accommodation.html

Manchester is another one that generally will guarantee clearing applicants (and insurance and adjustment applicants) a place in halls (their standard deadline for accommodation is 31 August).

Some cities and towns are much better for finding accommodation than others - for instance I know in the region I live that Winchester, Brighton and Oxford are all terrible for private accommodation spaces (they're high demand very expensive) whereas Southampton, Portsmouth and Bournemouth all have a LOT of options available.
Original post by Kenyanfriend
I'm doing the IB diploma and made u of Manchester my firm for development studies. They want me to get a 35 with 665 at higher level and no less than a 5. What if I get a 38 with 776 at higher level but one 4 , will they still take me?

See the first few posts - it's impossible to say and will depend on a whole range of variables.

As soon as you get your IB results in July contact Manchester to find out when they will make a decision that will show on Track. Because IB results are out a month before most UK qualifications you will have longer to look elsewhere in Clearing if Manchester do reject you - but it's also very common for UK universities to keep IB students who have slightly missed their offer waiting until August for a decision.
Reply 38
Hi I was wondering if you could possibly help me shed some light on this for me. I applied to a course which I know for sure i'm not going to get into so imstead im going to go into clearing for something else however this course only takes on 25 students a year but it still somehow manages to go into clearing? i don't understand how that is possible unless the intake numbers vary? Thankyou in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ELCRE
Hi I was wondering if you could possibly help me shed some light on this for me. I applied to a course which I know for sure i'm not going to get into so imstead im going to go into clearing for something else however this course only takes on 25 students a year but it still somehow manages to go into clearing? i don't understand how that is possible unless the intake numbers vary? Thankyou in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

What has happened before is no guarantee that it will happen this year. The numbers depend on the number of applicants in the first place and whether those applicants got the grades. When it comes to those who didn't get the grades, it depends on whether the university is prepared to drop its standards and accept them or gamble on picking up better candidates through clearing. If the course attracted very few applicants, who then did poorly in their exams, the course could end up recruiting a lot of people through clearing, even for only 25 places. If the reverse is true this year, there could be none.

Latest