The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Can someone explain to me that my course says ucas points and grades so for example when i recieved my conditional offer it said if i achieve A minimum of 300 UCAS Tariff points from at least 2 GCE A levels or AVCEs including GCE A level Grade B - Biology

If i achieve 300 ucas points but dont get a B in biology will this affect my chances? As im confident ill get 300+ mainly due to me doing an EPQ where i got an A and from my other as subjects i dropped i have 120 in total.

Ive completed one A level subject exam so i sat both exams, and feeling confident in that i should hopefully get an A. Which means i would have achieved my 300 ucas points before i even complete my other examss as i have 3 a2 subjects. So since im going to achieve over 300 ucas points but there may be a chance i dont achieve a B does this affect my chances?
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
Can someone explain to me that my course says ucas points and grades so for example when i recieved my conditional offer it said if i achieve A minimum of 300 UCAS Tariff points from at least 2 GCE A levels or AVCEs including GCE A level Grade B - Biology

If i achieve 300 ucas points but dont get a B in biology will this affect my chances? As im confident ill get 300+ mainly due to me doing an EPQ where i got an A and from my other as subjects i dropped i have 120 in total.

Ive completed one A level subject exam so i sat both exams, and feeling confident in that i should hopefully get an A. Which means i would have achieved my 300 ucas points before i even complete my other examss as i have 3 a2 subjects. So since im going to achieve over 300 ucas points but there may be a chance i dont achieve a B does this affect my chances?

They did specifically say B in biology so yeah if you don't get an overall B in bio that'll affect your chances. But they might let you in anyway so..

Depends on the school though. Are you confident you're not gonna get a B in bio?
Original post by jackien1
They did specifically say B in biology so yeah if you don't get an overall B in bio that'll affect your chances. But they might let you in anyway so..

Depends on the school though. Are you confident you're not gonna get a B in bio?

Yep my predicted was a C and they still made an offer so i mean if i miss by one grade it shouldnt matter by that much?
Yep my predicted was a C and they still made an offer so i mean if i miss by one grade it shouldnt matter by that much?

What do you think you'll get? Not your predicted grade, which can sometimes be ********.

Uhhhh. I would definitely say that doesn't mean that necessarily. I mean, the best thing is always to not miss your offer. I don't want to say anything that might let you think that missing a grade is ok cause it isn't and I don't want to let you get complacent/have blind hope. You should check whether your course was in clearing or not the previous years cause that could be an indicator of how many spaces they have and the more spaces in clearing, the more likely they'll take you even if you fall short. Though this isn't a guaranteed thing, just a might make you feel better thing to do.
Original post by jackien1
What do you think you'll get? Not your predicted grade, which can sometimes be ********.

Uhhhh. I would definitely say that doesn't mean that necessarily. I mean, the best thing is always to not miss your offer. I don't want to say anything that might let you think that missing a grade is ok cause it isn't and I don't want to let you get complacent/have blind hope. You should check whether your course was in clearing or not the previous years cause that could be an indicator of how many spaces they have and the more spaces in clearing, the more likely they'll take you even if you fall short. Though this isn't a guaranteed thing, just a might make you feel better thing to do.

Theyve stopped going into clearing ive known a person who got in with a D in biology last year i think i should be able to get a C hopefully, i dont think i can get a B.
Reply 45
Theyve stopped going into clearing ive known a person who got in with a D in biology last year i think i should be able to get a C hopefully, i dont think i can get a B.

What course are you applying for, is it audiology by any chance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a conditional offer at keele for music of bcc. C in maths and c in economics and b in music. I think I'll only get bdd though. Would I still be let in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tomcushen123
I have a conditional offer at keele for music of bcc. C in maths and c in economics and b in music. I think I'll only get bdd though. Would I still be let in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No one knows at this point, including Keele themselves. It will depend on how many applicants do meet their offer and how close you and other near-misses come.
Original post by ELCRE
What course are you applying for, is it audiology by any chance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh
Reply 49
Yeh

Im applying for it through clearing, but a lot of unis for audiology have been in clearing for the past 4 years. In fact one was in clearing for 2/3 days. Tbh letting someone in with a d is stretching it a bit far and is unfair to people who have got the grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ELCRE
Im applying for it through clearing, but a lot of unis for audiology have been in clearing for the past 4 years. In fact one was in clearing for 2/3 days. Tbh letting someone in with a d is stretching it a bit far and is unfair to people who have got the grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol ive been to a few unis and they havent been in clearing last year mainly due to the fact caps been removed so i dont think audiology will be in clearing this year.

The person with A DD was doing chem and bio most people only do one science or a BTEC so it may have been a reason why he was accepted although i believe its due the fact caps been removed so instead of going into clearing they know tend to accept those who firmed and insured rather than go into clearing
Reply 51
Lol ive been to a few unis and they havent been in clearing last year mainly due to the fact caps been removed so i dont think audiology will be in clearing this year.

The person with A DD was doing chem and bio most people only do one science or a BTEC so it may have been a reason why he was accepted although i believe its due the fact caps been removed so instead of going into clearing they know tend to accept those who firmed and insured rather than go into clearing

Urgh that's frustrating, when did the caps get removed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have an offer for a BBB course but I am more than sure that I will be getting BBC on results day. Do you think they will let me in anyway? The university is Southampton btw.
Original post by ELCRE
Urgh that's frustrating, when did the caps get removed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Last year so unis no longer have a limit to how much they can accept, obviously within reason to resources etc.

But although i feel that its very unlikely that unis will go into clearing since most are around 25 places and will first go to the firm and insurance options it may still go ito clearing.

How come you didnt apply to audiology directly? What subjects are you doing atm?
Original post by unihelp98
I have an offer for a BBB course but I am more than sure that I will be getting BBC on results day. Do you think they will let me in anyway? The university is Southampton btw.

If its your first choice and you have a good personal statement etc i cant see them decling if you miss by one grade if it was in a subject that was less important, however obviously they could still say no depending on how popular the course is etc
Reply 55
Last year so unis no longer have a limit to how much they can accept, obviously within reason to resources etc.

But although i feel that its very unlikely that unis will go into clearing since most are around 25 places and will first go to the firm and insurance options it may still go ito clearing.

How come you didnt apply to audiology directly? What subjects are you doing atm?

Aah I see your point, I guess I'll just have to pray for a miracle haha although I do know two people who got in through clearing so I guess there is a little bit of hope. I applied for optometry and got offers from all 5 unis however two of my chem exams went really bad & also optom has become so saturated everyone seems to be doing it, it's kind of put me off. Audiology appeals to me because its more slow paced and you get to build a relationship with people and for me personally its more rewarding.
I'm doing biology chemistry re and english. Wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ELCRE
Aah I see your point, I guess I'll just have to pray for a miracle haha although I do know two people who got in through clearing so I guess there is a little bit of hope. I applied for optometry and got offers from all 5 unis however two of my chem exams went really bad & also optom has become so saturated everyone seems to be doing it, it's kind of put me off. Audiology appeals to me because its more slow paced and you get to build a relationship with people and for me personally its more rewarding.
I'm doing biology chemistry re and english. Wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Psych bio and sociology. Yeh my family member is an Optom and i dont think its as good as it once was, mainly because its more of a quick fire of patients audiology app tend to be much longer and youll only see a few a day compared to optom which is alot more busier. I mean you never know it could go into clearing. What uni for audiology are you looking to go into if you had a choice?
Reply 57
Psych bio and sociology. Yeh my family member is an Optom and i dont think its as good as it once was, mainly because its more of a quick fire of patients audiology app tend to be much longer and youll only see a few a day compared to optom which is alot more busier. I mean you never know it could go into clearing. What uni for audiology are you looking to go into if you had a choice?

Aston for sure & Manchester as a second option, what unis have you applied to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If its your first choice and you have a good personal statement etc i cant see them decling if you miss by one grade if it was in a subject that was less important, however obviously they could still say no depending on how popular the course is etc

Yeh the course is geography and the subject I think I will get a C in is English Literature and Bs in Geography and Politics so I hope they will let me in.
Original post by ELCRE
Aston for sure & Manchester as a second option, what unis have you applied to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did DMU Manchester Aston Leeds southampton DMU is my first choice manchester is my second

I mainly like DMU as facilties seems to be really good and they have certain stuff others dont as im sure other unis do. But the big appeal to me was the work experience and how they do lots of hearing and sceerning in the local area even with olympic athletes! Aswell as take students to other countries which is really good!

Manchester seems really nice aswell and im sure would be great.

Latest