The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys, I am worried about my grades, I applied Accounting and Finace in UEA and they offered me ABB and I firmly accepted that offer.

Now here's the worry, I am currently doing maths, chem , physics and Chinese A2.

I think I can get:
Maths:A
Chinese:A
Chemistry: C or maybe worse... But hopefully B
Physics: E

In this case will I still get in ?? any one with experience getting in UEA with lower grades or getting in accounting and finance with lower grades ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Timtimluk
Hi guys, I am worried about my grades, I applied Accounting and Finace in UEA and they offered me ABB and I firmly accepted that offer.

Now here's the worry, I am currently doing maths, chem , physics and Chinese A2.

I think I can get:

In this case will I still get in ??

Can't be 100% certain this year (depends on how many places they have, how everyone else did, etcetera), but I have heard of offer holders getting in with lower grades. Your results don't miss the mark by much but I'd say try hard to do well and if you don't then you'll see later. :h:
Original post by Timtimluk

I think I can get:

In this case will I still get in ?? any one with experience getting in UEA with lower grades or getting in accounting and finance with lower grades ?

Nobody knows, not the staff at UEA, not any posters on TSR, nobody. Whilst I'm sure we'd all like to reassure you, such reassurance would be meaningless, because until exam results are in, and the university can see how many people also missed their offers, they do not know how many places they have to play with. Whatever happened in previous years is no guide to this year. My advice is to distract yourself with doing other things and try to forget about it, because no one can answer your question truthfully.
Reply 63
Original post by ELCRE
What course are you applying for, is it audiology by any chance?
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
Yeh

Guys, the world of audiology is very small, as you'll hopefully soon find out: there aren't that many courses, not that many places (say 25 each course) but also not that many applicants. Unis want their courses to run so want to have sufficient student numbers to make them viable. Since the government removed caps on places last year (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-25236341) it's not so easy to predict how many people will be taken on each year. In my course there were just 16 of us who started last year.

You have a good chance of being accepted if you meet the basic criteria, or almost meet it. At my interviews, admissions staff were *really* interested in our attitudes to patients and how we related to others, as these skills are paramount and, perhaps, less easy to learn than the technical ones. Try not to panic if you get a lower grade than you want or need - it doesn't necessarily mean that the door is closed to you. If you've just missed a grade / a few UCAS points, you are in with a good chance of persuading a course that you will still make a good student.

Good luck with the rest of your exams.
You would need to phone them when you know for certain - it is up to their discretion.

If you don't get in you will need to apply for a course through the Clearing process - this is where places are allocated to those who have failed to get their choices as the Uni's still need to fill the spaces on the courses !
Reply 65
Original post by DoctorDC
You would need to phone them when you know for certain - it is up to their discretion.

If you don't get in you will need to apply for a course through the Clearing process - this is where places are allocated to those who have failed to get their choices as the Uni's still need to fill the spaces on the courses !

No. There's no point calling them.

They get the grades before the applicant does and will make their own decisions.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
No. There's no point calling them.

They get the grades before the applicant does and will make their own decisions.

It is worth phoning them because they will tell the applicant if the course is over or under subscribed and the likelihood of places being available via the clearing process !

At the end of the day the universities want bums on seats - under subscribed or partially empty courses cost them money. Part of their key funding is based on student numbers - so the higher that number - the more money they get !

That is why they will provide the best advice they can to encourage any potential applicants - even if it results in a deferral to the following year !
Original post by DoctorDC
It is worth phoning them because they will tell the applicant if the course is over or under subscribed and the likelihood of places being available via the clearing process !

At the end of the day the universities want bums on seats - under subscribed or partially empty courses cost them money. Part of their key funding is based on student numbers - so the higher that number - the more money they get !

That is why they will provide the best advice they can to encourage any potential applicants - even if it results in a deferral to the following year !

If they have already rejected OP (and as jneill says, they have had the results since the previous weekend) then they will not accept OP through Clearing. They have had ample time to decide if they want his/her bum on a seat and have decided they don't. Also, if they opt to offer a deferred year or a change of course, that will already be on Track. The university wants suitably qualified bums on seats, not bums who have failed to achieve what they have decided is their baseline qualification level.
Hey,

Hopefully I'm not the only one who is adamant they aren't getting into their firm or insurance...

Post below if you're in this position and maybe we can drown our sorrows together !

Here goes...

Grades Needed for firm/ insurance - AAA/A*AB
Grades expected- ABB/AAB
Original post by fefssdf
Hey,

Hopefully I'm not the only one who is adamant they aren't getting into their firm or insurance...

Post below if you're in this position and maybe we can drown our sorrows together !

Here goes...

Grades Needed for firm/ insurance - AAA/A*AB
Grades expected- ABB/AAB

There's a Results Day thread where everyone is saying this too :smile:

...including me argh. Well I might get my insurance.

Firm: ABB
Insurance: 300 UCAS points

Expected grades: ABC/BBC
Original post by emiloujess
There's a Results Day thread where everyone is saying this too :smile:

...including me argh. Well I might get my insurance.

Firm: ABB
Insurance: 300 UCAS points

Expected grades: ABC/BBC

what course, and i really hope you do get the grades- if the uni wants ucas points then hopefully they're more lenient on the whole ! :smile:
Original post by fefssdf
what course, and i really hope you do get the grades- if the uni wants ucas points then hopefully they're more lenient on the whole ! :smile:

Thanks I hope you get your firm too!

My firm is Cardiff for Journalism, Media & Sociology and Aberystwyth for Social Science is my insurance. Failing that (or if I send myself into Clearing because I'm not sure about my insurance course) I will be phoning up Bangor to beg 😂

What about you? :smile:
Thanks I hope you get your firm too!

My firm is Cardiff for Journalism, Media & Sociology and Aberystwyth for Social Science is my insurance. Failing that (or if I send myself into Clearing because I'm not sure about my insurance course) I will be phoning up Bangor to beg 😂

What about you? :smile:

Maths, firm is nottingham and insurance is manchester and if i don't get an A in maths then i can't go to basically any uni and i shall be forced into a gap year. level retakes here i come ! luckily maths isn't changing to the linear format till 2017 so technically i can retake it twice
i'm not getting in to durham A*AA
Original post by fefssdf
Maths, firm is nottingham and insurance is manchester and if i don't get an A in maths then i can't go to basically any uni and i shall be forced into a gap year. level retakes here i come ! luckily maths isn't changing to the linear format till 2017 so technically i can retake it twice

Nottingham is such a nice city :smile: well best of luck! 🍀
Original post by Patrick Gekko
i'm not getting in to durham A*AA

**** man i feel sorry for you ; thats such a high offer ! and durham are not lenient at all - whats your plan b and what course is this
Nottingham is such a nice city :smile: well best of luck! 🍀

I know and thanks !
Reply 77
I need AAB.
By the looks of how the exams are going, I'm probably going to end up with ABB or BBB :/
Original post by fefssdf
*** and durham are not lenient at all

On anything most unis have a leeway of 10% or so on word counts so a 2000 word assignment could be 2200 or 1800 words no problem but at Durham if your a word less or over they won mark it according to a guy whose sister works there.

Also if you change your mind in results day they are really harsh and often do't release you into clearing until about a week after you call and all the while clearing places are being taken up.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fefssdf
**** man i feel sorry for you ; thats such a high offer ! and durham are not lenient at all - whats your plan b and what course is this

economics, not sure about a plan b yet- only considered that this may happen about today's c3 maths paper..

Latest

Trending

Trending