Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Grades Needed for firm/ insurance - AAA/ABB
Grades expected- BBB/CBB
Reply 81
Grades needed AAB
Grades expected BBD
Original post by Patrick Gekko
economics, not sure about a plan b yet- only considered that this may happen about today's c3 maths paper..

Ah man I'm in the same boat ; I didn't do good on c3 - my insurance uni wants A*mathsAB so I thought that was possible but no after today I am worried I won't even get an A now :/
I feel like I did good in my exams but I'm just really stressing out, the course I want to do only has 25 spaces and 400+ applications are sent in every year. I just don't see why a university would want to pick me over all these amazing people. Sometimes I just feel like giving up, it's such a stressful process. I'm applying after the summer :/
Reply 84
Original post by sameehaiqbal
I feel like I did good in my exams but I'm just really stressing out, the course I want to do only has 25 spaces and 400+ applications are sent in every year. I just don't see why a university would want to pick me over all these amazing people. Sometimes I just feel like giving up, it's such a stressful process. I'm applying after the summer :/

Because other universities also offer it. So there's, say, 400 students wanting to do that course, chasing, say, 16 universities * 25 places at each one...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85

What course are you applying for? :smile: Don't worry about that, some courses that have 25 places don't even get filled up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
Original post by ayeeel
Guys, the world of audiology is very small, as you'll hopefully soon find out: there aren't that many courses, not that many places (say 25 each course) but also not that many applicants. Unis want their courses to run so want to have sufficient student numbers to make them viable. Since the government removed caps on places last year (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-25236341) it's not so easy to predict how many people will be taken on each year. In my course there were just 16 of us who started last year.

You have a good chance of being accepted if you meet the basic criteria, or almost meet it. At my interviews, admissions staff were *really* interested in our attitudes to patients and how we related to others, as these skills are paramount and, perhaps, less easy to learn than the technical ones. Try not to panic if you get a lower grade than you want or need - it doesn't necessarily mean that the door is closed to you. If you've just missed a grade / a few UCAS points, you are in with a good chance of persuading a course that you will still make a good student.

Good luck with the rest of your exams.

Thankyou so much for this, it is the most reassuring message I have ever read on TSR, it really motivated me to start revising again for my last exams :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
Grade requirements AAB and A in maths, if you get B in maths but A in the other two courses can u still get in or is it only through clearing?
Hi.

I am a resit student and this year, I have both firm & insurance offers from KCL.
I had already achieved A & B, for my firm choice I need A in Maths
and for insurance, I need AAB (which just means A in Maths too).
I know for sure I won't get an A in Maths but 90% sure I can get a B. So very likely I will get ABB at the end.

Do you think they will take me in even I missed the offer by 1 grade?

Something I knew:

both my firm & insurance courses are NEW. one started 2014/15 one started last year, so are new courses more flexible when it comes to accepting offer holders who miss their grades?

my insurance choice was on Clearing last year (and it stayed on the clearing list for about 4-5 days)
does this mean they will likely to accept me even I missed 1 grade? Because it sounds like the course is not filled up even after 4 days in clearing.

I am just so worry about not getting in KCL this year AGAIN lol this is my last chance really... Really appreciate anyone to answer and help :smile:
Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by qwerttqw
Grade requirements AAB and A in maths, if you get B in maths but A in the other two courses can u still get in or is it only through clearing?

As above, nobody can tell you this. If you miss the grade requirement in the subject specified, you will only get in if a lot of other people miss their grades as well, and the university doesn't feel it can get better candidates by putting the course in Clearing. I'm not sure what you mean by the last part, but if you have been rejected by your university, they will not accept you back in through Clearing. I'm sure you and everyone else wants to be reassured about their chances, but no one can tell you what will happen and anyone who does claim to know is posting with false confidence or a lack of understanding of the system. What happened to their aunt's neighbour's nephew last year on a different course at a different university has no bearing at all to what will happen to you. Try to distract yourself with other things.
Original post by iamgusya
Hi.

I am a resit student and this year, I have both firm & insurance offers from KCL.
I had already achieved A & B, for my firm choice I need A in Maths
and for insurance, I need AAB (which just means A in Maths too).
I know for sure I won't get an A in Maths but 90% sure I can get a B. So very likely I will get ABB at the end.

Do you think they will take me in even I missed the offer by 1 grade?

Something I knew:

both my firm & insurance courses are NEW. one started 2014/15 one started last year, so are new courses more flexible when it comes to accepting offer holders who miss their grades?

my insurance choice was on Clearing last year (and it stayed on the clearing list for about 4-5 days)
does this mean they will likely to accept me even I missed 1 grade? Because it sounds like the course is not filled up even after 4 days in clearing.

I am just so worry about not getting in KCL this year AGAIN lol this is my last chance really... Really appreciate anyone to answer and help :smile:
Thanks.

Nobody can tell you this. If you miss the grade requirement in the subject specified, you will only get in if a lot of other people miss their grades as well, and the university doesn't feel it can get better candidates by putting the course in Clearing. I'm sure you and everyone else want to be reassured about their chances, but no one can tell you what will happen and anyone who does claim to know is posting with false confidence or a lack of understanding of the system. What happened to their aunt's neighbour's nephew last year on a different course at a different university has no bearing at all to what will happen to you. Try to distract yourself with other things.
I'm in the same boat
Need ABB to study Law at Liverpool
I worked really hard but Maths has mugged me off completely, might struggle to even get a C
Eek
I need either an A or an A* in maths and I doubt I'm even getting an A now after c3, and no uni is gonna accept someone with a B in maths to study maths. I think I'm gonna have to switch subjects :/
Original post by lowongas
I have applied to do Psychology at Uni of Manchester and its my absolute dream, the grade requirements are AAB but I'm afraid that may miss this by one grade, maybe two if im unlucky. Ive also done an epq though so do you guys think I would stand a chance of getting in?

This is a very popular course so I doubt you'd be let in if you missed your offers I'm afraid . If it's by one grade and you got a really good grade in your epq and others missed their offers by more grades then you have a chance but that's unlikely so I think you should start considering what your plan b is . I hope you get in but unis such as Manchester aren't known to be lenient
Original post by lowongas
I have applied to do Psychology at Uni of Manchester and its my absolute dream, the grade requirements are AAB but I'm afraid that may miss this by one grade, maybe two if im unlucky. Ive also done an epq though so do you guys think I would stand a chance of getting in?

As with all universities they have no obligation to let you in if you don't meet their offer, no matter how good your other grades are.

However, the number of people who the uni have made that offer to and meet that offer will always be slightly less that the maximum number of students the uni can fit on the course. All unis do this to avoid the risk of having more students meet their offer than they can fit on the course; this would result in a big problem for the uni.

But then the uni won't want empty places on the course either, cos each student gets them £9000 a year. So to fill up the last places the uni may then go back and make offers to applicants whose grades didn't quite make the original offer (they may also take some people on through clearing, but lots of unis tend not to like this).

Weather or not you are one of the people they go back to, to make one of the last offers to, will probably be decided on what your actual grades are, how you did at the interview day (if they do one for psychology), and possibly if you did extra stuff like epq. It also depends who many people made the initial offer, and what the general standard of the applicants that year is. So non-one can say (e.g.) "if you get an A* in psychology you'll definitely get in whatever" as the fine details of who they'll let in to fill up their course will change each year.
(edited 7 years ago)
I missed my grades and it was the best thing that happened to me.
For AS I got BBCD. I was rejected from LSE & UCL (applied to courses requiring grades ABB). I somehow got an offer from KCL for a AAA course but I got ABB at A2 so I didn't make it to university.I took a gap year and resat exams in January and got in to King's. Then I spent the rest of the year volunteering and received an award for it.The experience from volunteering helped me secure a parliamentary internship last summer. Thanks to that experience, I have been selected for an internship with the Civil Service this summer and am due to start a masters at UCL in September.
Original post by ELCRE
What course are you applying for? :smile: Don't worry about that, some courses that have 25 places don't even get filled up

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want to do Diagnostic Radiography, just feeling really nervous to apply now :/
Would it be worth contacting a uni before I'm officially put into Clearing (I'm being pessimistic and assuming I will, because I think I failed my GCSE Maths retake) telling them my Access Diploma results and asking whether they'd consider taking me? A few months ago I emailed an admissions tutor at Durham asking about their approach to GCSEs and she essentially said that I don't need specific GCSE grades... Don't know whether to email her again or if it's inappropriate/stupid to do so until I'm formally in Clearing, which will be a week after I officially get my Access result (my Maths result will come a week later)?

You say that, but someone (well, 25 someones) have to be picked in the end and it could be you. All you can do is give it your best, spend the summer wisely doing whatever you feel you need to do, then closer to the time, write a stellar PS and.. that's all you can ask of yourself.
Original post by greenmang0
Would it be worth contacting a uni before I'm officially put into Clearing (I'm being pessimistic and assuming I will, because I think I failed my GCSE Maths retake) telling them my Access Diploma results and asking whether they'd consider taking me? A few months ago I emailed an admissions tutor at Durham asking about their approach to GCSEs and she essentially said that I don't need specific GCSE grades... Don't know whether to email her again or if it's inappropriate/stupid to do so until I'm formally in Clearing, which will be a week after I officially get my Access result (my Maths result will come a week later)?

Read PQ's reply to someone asking a similar question for reasons why this won't work:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4179885&p=66031263#post66031263

Latest